Sergio Agüero

Birdy

Memphis Depay is not a better striker than Aguero.

Why?

Because Memphis IS NOT a striker.

He'll have the same issues Griezmann faces at Barca.

Memphis can/should only be signed if a World Class striker is signed along with him. Obviously not Aguero since he's finished, but the last thing we need is Koeman to let his bias ruin what he's building by inserting Memphis as his CF.

Depay has more of the qualities a modern striker needs: intensity, pressing, and constant movement.
If we have the chance to sign Haaland who has all that, sure let's pass on Depay.

But to pass on Depay to sign someone like finished Aguero, just because he is nominally a striker?
That would be a crime

DonAK

President of FC Barcelona
Depay has more of the qualities a modern striker needs: intensity, pressing, and constant movement.
If we have the chance to sign Haaland who has all that, sure let's pass on Depay.

But to pass on Depay to sign someone like finished Aguero, just because he is nominally a striker?
That would be a crime

Sign neither.

I don't care if you have all the qualities modern strikers have if you cannot play the role positionally or be a high volume goalscorer.

malvolio

That would be a crime

mate, stop hyping up that man utd(after SAF mind you) flop.

the guy is no striker and would challenge griezmann on who's the bigger flop at ST for barca.

mc_lovin

I think its hilarious that Koeman seems to be against Aguero and the board against Depay/Wijnaldum. Hopefully they start looking at other options.

khaled_a_d

Aguero on our own terms (being a sub, low wage on a 1-2 years deal) serves a purpose.
Depay here is a failure waiting to happen, he isn't a striker and hasn't been one and he is 27.
People here made same argument for Griezmann ffs, time to learn our lesson and move on.
Only if Messi leaves, then Depay might even make some sense.

DonAK

Aguero on our own terms (being a sub, low wage on a 1-2 years deal) serves a purpose.
Depay here is a failure waiting to happen, he isn't a striker and hasn't been one and he is 27.
People here made same argument for Griezmann ffs, time to learn our lesson and move on.
Only if Messi leaves, then Depay might even make some sense.

IMO Depay only makes sense under two conditions:

1. Messi or Griezmann leaves, one of them for sure

2. A World Class striker is signed along with him

I don't count the current day Aguero as a World Class striker. He can only be a rotation option. In any case Aguero fits in within these two conditions too.

Birdy

Why he can't play the role positionally [MENTION=15376]DonAK[/MENTION]?
He has played at Lyon and Dutch NT like that for the last 4 years.
ST or not, it does not matter. That's a question of definition.

The position Koeman has in mind is the same as the position Depay is playing in the Dutch NT.
That's how Haaland will play if he comes.
mate, stop hyping up that man utd(after SAF mind you) flop.

the guy is no striker and would challenge griezmann on who's the bigger flop at ST for barca.

Your conception of the striker position is archaic.
We don't need a Suarez 2.0 who cannot move and waits around the box for the ball to finish off chances.

If you didn't notice Dembele plays lately as 'striker', and the system works just fine.

PS: Depay does not have any similarities with Griezman. Why make the comparison?
Griezman cannot dribble. Depay can.
Griezman cannot drift and play decently on the wing for his life. Depay can.

Just get over the 'ST' position obsession.
The way these two play is completely different

Last edited:

khaled_a_d

1. Messi or Griezmann leaves, one of them for sure

2. A World Class striker is signed along with him

I would replace second one with staying with 352.
In 433 he doesn't serve a purpose at all, and he isn't worth playing with distorted 433 like we did with Messi, he is simply not that good.

Aguero for me is an upgrade over Braithwaite, regardless of Messi situation we will need that

DonAK

Because Memphis plays more like a false 9 for OL and the Dutch NT with positional freedom @Birdy

It's not a matter of definition. It's a matter of whether you can play the role of an actual striker like Luis Suarez, Samuel Eto'o or David Villa(mostly at Valencia) in its true positional sense.

Memphis Depay has never been that, nor has he been a high volume goalscorer.

Memphis is a comparable player to Griezmann here. I'm in two minds about whether to sign him or not, I don't mind, but I would not sign him to be our striker and would not sign him without bringing in a starting CF.

Last edited:

Birdy

If Ansu and Dembele are healthy next season, I don't see the problem.
There will be options for all 3 further forward positions.

Plus, I think Koeman knows better how to use him, and whether he can use him together with Griezman or not.

But the bottom line is: Even if Depay turns out meh, the cost in all 1-4 I outlined above will be minimal for the club, compared to the huge cost in 1-4 if someone like Aguero is signed just to 'have a striker'

Tackle

We have improved lately, but remember we are still in a transition phase. We don't need be diving into the rubbish bin at this stage of the cycle to sign some crocked former star as a bench player or stop-gap.

Giroud's contract expires this summer. Give him a two-year as a true plan B striker, at least his height and physicality would add another dimension to our game. Would work hard and not be under any delusion he is owed a starter spot.

Home of Barca Fans