Sergio Aguero

dalitis8

Banned
Agüero is a fantastic player.

Agüero-Messi-Sánchez. That's a brutal frontline.

Looking at it in retroperspective we should have bought Agüero instead of Villa. The latter has 1-2 good seasons left in him while the former has 6-7.

Yes, but Aguero cannot really play on the wing.

DucdeOrléans

Yes, but Aguero cannot really play on the wing.

And we don't play with regular wingers but more with inside-forwards so that's not an issue. And Agüero is perfectly accustomed to that position.

Not to mention that they would frequently switch positions during a game like the current team does and have done for years now.

zanela

Agüero can't operate as LWF. If he did, he'll offer us no width as 'd constantly drift inside. Henry and Villa could do it, because they were both already familiar with the role, but also coming in to their late 20s/early 30s they were willing to play a supporting role/sec fiddle to Messi and accept team rotation. Both of which is not conducive to a young star CF in Aguero. Alexis is a diff case in that, he's equally adept on wings and CF. Besides, his work ethic and humility better fits the team.

Yeh, we don't play with traditional wingers, but width is still provided by our wide forwards. While the front three do interchange, but the WFs in our system is expected to maintain their respective positions for the most part. And they also need to trackback and help the fullback.

DucdeOrléans

I can't see why he should not be able to adapt to a similar role when Henry and Villa both did it to an extent.

Agüero has played in a similar position for both City and Argentina this season on numerous occasions.

If Agüero can accept rotations at City why should it then become a issue at FCB?

We had a similar discussion before Sánchez was bought where the critics of Agüero also claimed that he would be unfit as a inside-forward. I think Agüero has proved the critics wrong this season when he has been able to perform in that exact position for both club and country.

Aryagorn

Improvin' Perfection!!
Agüero can't operate as LWF. If he did, he'll offer us no width as 'd constantly drift inside. Henry and Villa could do it, because they were both already familiar with the role, but also coming in to their late 20s/early 30s they were willing to play a supporting role/sec fiddle to Messi and accept team rotation. Both of which is not conducive to a young star CF in Aguero. Alexis is a diff case in that, he's equally adept on wings and CF. Besides, his work ethic and humility better fits the team.

Yeh, we don't play with traditional wingers, but width is still provided by our wide forwards. While the front three do interchange, but the WFs in our system is expected to maintain their respective positions for the most part. And they also need to trackback and help the fullback.
Henry did it previously, sure... But Villa was as accustomed to it as does Aguero

Henry_IB

Banned
Aguero in Barcelona would be awesome, definitely my favorite player outside of barcelona.

Would also improve messi's chances of winning something with Argentina if they played consistently with each other.

zanela

I can't see why he should not be able to adapt to a similar role when Henry and Villa both did it to an extent.

Agüero has played in a similar position for both City and Argentina this season on numerous occasions.

If Agüero can accept rotations at City why should it then become a issue at FCB?

We had a similar discussion before Sánchez was bought where the critics of Agüero also claimed that he would be unfit as a inside-forward. I think Agüero has proved the critics wrong this season when he has been able to perform in that exact position for both club and country.

Which are these games for City in which he was played wide? He and Silva have played the most for city, and it's Edin and Balo who get rotated, not Aguero. And he plays behind one of the big guys or as lone central striker. And there isn't enough samples of Aguero on the wing for the NT.

Henry did it previously, sure... But Villa was as accustomed to it as does Aguero

Villa played LW for Spain and was quite accomplished at that.

dalitis8

Banned
Agüero is a genuine striker. Alexis is a winger / supporting striker. Agüero's finishing is far superior. He has a 1 goal in 2 games record over 230 games at Atletico (16 goals in 25 PL games so far) and he started playing there at age 18 when he obviously wasn't as prolific as nowadays (he's still only 23). I think Agüero is the best CF in the world today. I have to disagree that he wouldn't fit Barcelona. He's very similar to Villa (with much better dribbling ability). He could play on our wing as an inside forward like a boss. Henry did it, Eto'o did it, Villa does it. So can Agüero (in fact, he does for City with either Balotelli or Dzeko on the top).

Sanchez was known for his dribbling and trickery. He completed the most successful dribbles last season in Serie A. 3 per game. Pep always repeated that he likes Alexis' ability to get past defenders. Somehow he doesn't do it anymore for us though. His dribbles have dropped to 0.8 per game ... which isn't any better than Villa's dribbling stats who got heavily criticised for not taking on his defender last season. We somehow use Alexis centrally, as a CF, now. Not so much as a winger.

Not that I complain about da Sex. I wouldn't have complained about Kun either though. He handed in a transfer request and Atletico obviously didn't want to sell to Real Madrid. He wanted to play for us and with Messi. Negotiated properly, we could have gotten him for only a bit more than what we paid for Alexis.

Agüero-----Messi-----Villa

It would be like our treble winning Henry-Messi-Eto'o frontline. Just better

The reason Pep went for Asexis instead of Aguero, is not that Asexis is better overall, but because Alexis would fit our system better. He is faster and hassles the opposing defenders more effectively than Aguero. He is also a much better presser.

La Furia

Legion of Doooom
What a fucking broken record.

Did Villa die or something that this subject is coming up again? I don't want to read the last 5 pages because I don't feel like having my IQ drop.

El Kunt is good, not every good forward will play for fucking Barcelona. Stick to obsessing over Neymar, who will probably come because of the Rosell factor.

mateopol

Agüero is a genuine striker. Alexis is a winger / supporting striker. Agüero's finishing is far superior. He has a 1 goal in 2 games record over 230 games at Atletico (16 goals in 25 PL games so far) and he started playing there at age 18 when he obviously wasn't as prolific as nowadays (he's still only 23). I think Agüero is the best CF in the world today. I have to disagree that he wouldn't fit Barcelona. He's very similar to Villa (with much better dribbling ability). He could play on our wing as an inside forward like a boss. Henry did it, Eto'o did it, Villa does it. So can Agüero (in fact, he does for City with either Balotelli or Dzeko on the top).

Sanchez was known for his dribbling and trickery. He completed the most successful dribbles last season in Serie A. 3 per game. Pep always repeated that he likes Alexis' ability to get past defenders. Somehow he doesn't do it anymore for us though. His dribbles have dropped to 0.8 per game ... which isn't any better than Villa's dribbling stats who got heavily criticised for not taking on his defender last season. We somehow use Alexis centrally, as a CF, now. Not so much as a winger.

Not that I complain about da Sex. I wouldn't have complained about Kun either though. He handed in a transfer request and Atletico obviously didn't want to sell to Real Madrid. He wanted to play for us and with Messi. Negotiated properly, we could have gotten him for only a bit more than what we paid for Alexis.

Agüero-----Messi-----Villa

It would be like our treble winning Henry-Messi-Eto'o frontline. Just better.

dqNRJ.gif

THIS

I wanted Aguero and won't hide it. We couldn't afford him so we went for Sanchez. Now everyone can talk about Sanchez pressing, workrate etc but this is just to hide simple fact - we couldn't afford Kun so we went for much worse player - Sanchez. Good that Sanchez has a potential to improve, if we went for average Rossi I would be mad.

Kun :worthy:

La Furia

Legion of Doooom
"Much worse player"? Is Iniesta worse than El Kunt too because he's a lesser finisher?

For fucks sake they are different kinds of players.

DucdeOrléans

Which are these games for City in which he was played wide? He and Silva have played the most for city, and it's Edin and Balo who get rotated, not Aguero. And he plays behind one of the big guys or as lone central striker. And there isn't enough samples of Aguero on the wing for the NT.

----------Balotelli/Dzeko

------Agüero
---------------------------Silva

-----Milner/Nasri--Yaya---------

-----------Barry--------¨

That is pretty much how City lineup every single time when most of their players are fit.

Agüerro rarely plays as a regular CF. And when that happens it is usually next to Silva and Johnson who operate as inside-forwards/wingers and Yaya Toure as the box-to-box midfielder who makes the attacking runs inside the box which makes the attack pretty fluid.

But we are talking about Agüero not Llorente. I am pretty sure that Agüero would be able to replace Villa as the inside-forward/"winger".

zanela

When Pep wants a player, he gets him. If we didn't get Aguero, its not because we couldn't afford him, its because Pep knows whats best for this team.

Home of Barca Fans