Sergio Busquets

E

estranged

Yeah, because he's such a moral example on the pitch.

Captains are players that youngsters look up to. Besides, he's no leader on the pitch.

Yea but s far as stepping up when it matters and wanting to win goes he's probably the most suitable candidate on the pitch to replace Puyol. I mean if a select few retards are critics of his behavior on the pitch because of a stupid dive 2 years ago and yet the same bunch adore CR who does it week in week out, then I don't really mind him becoming our captain in the future. He's the definitive team player, that's definitely one of the main characteristics of a good captain.

Ursegor

World Champion
it´s between Busi, Pique and Messi imho

Pique can't be captain. He's Mr. Waka Waka who still needs to be disciplined by Puyol and benched by Pep for fooling around. He's not serious enough to be captain. He's a clown on too many occasions. Messi isn't much of a captain either. I don't remember which game it was exactly (Clasico?) but a few weeks ago he missed some chances and Alves needed to man him up and tell him to not let his head drop. Busquets is definitely captains material. He's badass enough and he doesn't give a fuck. And in 5 years or so that peek-a-boo incident might be forgotten (if he doesn't repeat it :lol:). To be honest: Mascherano would be a perfect captain after Puyol. But he's as old as Iniesta (and as long as Don is around, he'll be ahead in the pecking order) and not a nailed-on starter. So that's not an option.

Dunno. Why are we discussing this anyway? Puyol will retire when he's 40+, together with Pique. :puyol:

Pepe Silvia

Yeah hell no on Pique. He's a joker and has a hard enough time keeping himself in order let alone a whole team.

Messi. No. Not for his abilities, desire to win... but for his inability to motivate others. He knows how to motivate himself but I don't think he is vocal enough to motivate others around him when times are tough like Puyol or Valdes could.

Busquets? I think his own personality does him in on this one. It's tragic because he does display leadership qualities and calm but he is so naturally withdrawn and quiet that he would disappear in desperate times and that wouldn't be good.

Iniesta? See Busquets

Masch would be the better choice for me. He's the kind of ride or die tough as nails type that would suit Barcelona for captaincy. He seems to rally people behind him quite well too with his heroism and he is vocal and not afraid to shy away from challengers. If he continues the way he is, he'd be my choice after Puyol, Xavi, Valdes retire.

Barcaman

Administrator
Staff member
Yeah hell no on Pique. He's a joker and has a hard enough time keeping himself in order let alone a whole team.

Messi. No. Not for his abilities, desire to win... but for his inability to motivate others. He knows how to motivate himself but I don't think he is vocal enough to motivate others around him when times are tough like Puyol or Valdes could.

Busquets? I think his own personality does him in on this one. It's tragic because he does display leadership qualities and calm but he is so naturally withdrawn and quiet that he would disappear in desperate times and that wouldn't be good.

Iniesta? See Busquets

Masch would be the better choice for me. He's the kind of ride or die tough as nails type that would suit Barcelona for captaincy. He seems to rally people behind him quite well too with his heroism and he is vocal and not afraid to shy away from challengers. If he continues the way he is, he'd be my choice after Puyol, Xavi, Valdes retire.

That too. Also, I think he's just not respected enough among other teams, refs.. Rightfully, or not, there's a certain image he has outside Barca faithful and you can't ignore it. And captains should command respect outside the club as well.

Also agreed on Masch.
Would be a bit ironic to see him captain Barca while Messi is captain of Argentina though.

X

xaviniesta

Gerard-Pique.jpg

X

xaviniesta

scaled.php

say whatever you want, pique would be a great captain, he could be dead serious and completely focused, maybe when he wears the captain armband, he would turn into a monster. besides, ive never seen him joking around the pitch, maybe couple of times unfocused and need some :puyol: knock, but i would personaly take him over any player in 5 years probably, unless puyol goes to his 40s like he promised...

Last edited:

Home of Barca Fans