Sergio Busquets

X

xaviniesta

Carles_Domenech
Busquets li ha recuperat a l'Espanyol 21 vegades la pilota el 26% del total. Fins avui tenia una mitjana de 10,52 recuperacions per partit.

26 balls recovered, 26% of total. 10.52 per game has been average so far this season.

wow, just wow. and people say he can't 'tackle' well, he is too good to slide in his ass fot some heavy tackles anyway.

footyfan

Calma, calma
Those stats can be misleading. I was amazed too but then I realised they don't mean balls recovered in a traditional defensive sort of way. A lot of them are just when the ball falls to him after say Messi/Iniesta make a short pass that gets intercepted by a defender but then falls to Busquets. You can obviously credit his positioning but the truth is that he's the only player in that zone anyway. All the opposition players are either on the wing or defending.

X

xaviniesta

well this is why positioning is such a crusial part of the (defensive) part of game.

footyfan

Calma, calma
Oh yeah of course. We can see that with Masch in every big game. What I am saying is that for this particular stat (for today), you could've put Sanchez/Pedro/Thiago whoever in place of Busquets and they would still have the same statistic. There are much better indicators for Busquets amazing defensive mind, like interceptions and errors forced. For any other team, balls recovered is a totally different meaning. I'll try to get a picture to explain better.

X

xaviniesta

Oh yeah of course. We can see that with Masch in every big game. What I am saying is that for this particular stat (for today), you could've put Sanchez/Pedro/Thiago whoever in place of Busquets and they would still have the same statistic. There are much better indicators for Busquets amazing defensive mind, like interceptions and errors forced. For any other team, balls recovered is a totally different meaning. I'll try to get a picture to explain better.

ok now this is getting a bit ridiculous. its like put whoever into messi's position and he'll score 90 goals per year.

Last edited:

BerkeleyBernie

Showing again that he's the real Xavi successor.

Nope, different role, deeper and more defensive than even Xavi. Xavi has to cover a lot of ground as a support player. Busquets plays behind him, just ahead of the defenders. Thiago is working on the Xavi role, moving all over to receive and give.

GiantKiller

I wouldn't want him to play in the 'Xavi' role, simply because his defensive capabilities are exemplary. Not to forget the calmness he brings with his distribution. A unique player, really.

X

xaviniesta

Nope, different role, deeper and more defensive than even Xavi. Xavi has to cover a lot of ground as a support player. Busquets plays behind him, just ahead of the defenders. Thiago is working on the Xavi role, moving all over to receive and give.

xavi also begun his career by playing in DMF, same position as pep and later turnerd into a more offensive and overall midfielder. i think this is what they slowly want to do with busi too, especially in this season. he is now more than ever involved in the build up game. never really seen him playing so many long balls and diagonal balls like he did tonight. i would't be surprised if he'd take the 'xavi role' some day, although i would prefer him where he player atm though.

M

messi_xavi_iniesta

Great game. He´s not Xavi sucesssor. Xavi still has 4 years.

Markouskas

Unique player...Gvardiola made a totaly new position in this game,with Busi...He simply doesnt make any mistake..He is always on right place,reads opponnets..makes one move and pass it very inteligent..
It woudl be great to see busi's role from tonight..if someone could upload,i ll be greatfull :busquets::

Last edited:

GiantKiller

xavi also begun his career by playing in DMF, same position as pep and later turnerd into a more offensive and overall midfielder. i think this is what they slowly want to do with busi too, especially in this season. he is now more than ever involved in the build up game. never really seen him playing so many long balls and diagonal balls like he did tonight. i would't be surprised if he'd take the 'xavi role' some day, although i would prefer him where he player atm though.

I noticed that too. It could be, with there being lots of mobility in the midfield, to take advantage of the pockets of space the midfielders find, right?

footyfan

Calma, calma
ok now this is getting a bit ridiculous. its like put whoever into messi's position and he'll score 90 goals per year.

Nice overreaction. Seems like you can understand things only in black and white. Firstly, I was talking about only today. Secondly, I'm only focussing on 1 particular stat.

JamDav1982

I think a lot of the players are playing diagonal balls out to the attacking full backs a lot quicker than in previous seasons, it it not just Busquets. Messi also seems to be dropping deep and zinging the ball out wide quite regularly as well.

Would imagine it is to create more room out wide and not allow teams to funnel it out their deliberately as Chelsea did last season.

Without a doubt the team is playing a bit more direct and have both fullbacks pushed on at all times which.

X

xaviniesta

I think a lot of the players are playing diagonal balls out to the attacking full backs a lot quicker than in previous seasons, it it not just Busquets. Messi also seems to be dropping deep and zinging the ball out wide quite regularly as well.

messi did also drop deeper in previous season as well and played those balls out wide. busquets didn't. also plays more passes into deep.
Would imagine it is to create more room out wide and not allow teams to funnel it out their deliberately as Chelsea did last season.

why did you just bring up chelsea? because they won? they are a horrible example btw, because their defence leaked heavily. if you want a good example take real madrid 2-1 at camp nou where they won the title. but most of the teams have figured it out in last 2 years i'd say.
hate to admit it, but this was the real masterpiece of defending by them. i'd say the only time they have clearl outplayed barca in last 4-5 years.

Without a doubt the team is playing a bit more direct and have both fullbacks pushed on at all times which.
alba is the key here. he is just unbelivable, he can run forward but can get back so quickly as well like he never went even forward. unbelivable player.

Last edited:

Home of Barca Fans