Sergio Busquets

e28makaveli

One of the most improved players under Tito. He has always had that quality to go forward and initiate an attack but looks like he did not have the confidence nor the freedom to explore, hence the safer sideways or back passes. These days, Busi is creating serious scoring chances for our forwards bringing us another degree of freedom. I am liking this guy more and more. Best one touch player on our side for sure.

Yugi

I would be totally cool with Busi taking over Xavi in year or two so some new promising DMF could come from ranks (Samper)
and the cycle would repeat

Deco 20

Scandinavian 101
He was arguably our second best player last season, so not sure about him being among the 'most improved players'

JonM

Nope, different role, deeper and more defensive than even Xavi. Xavi has to cover a lot of ground as a support player. Busquets plays behind him, just ahead of the defenders. Thiago is working on the Xavi role, moving all over to receive and give.

LOL, I know they're not playing the same role now. But once Xavi retires (hopefully in many, many years), I think Busi is the best person to take over. They share many attributes: the vision, the positioning, the calmness, the one-touch passing, the accuracy, the selflessness, etc. I also think Busi will soon start to be kwown for his long passes (like the one we saw tonight).

Deco 20

Scandinavian 101
I have my doubts on Sergio playing in the Xavi role. Firstly he's far less mobile than Xavi, who is a master at finding spaces to run into and making himself available for passes. Not only does Xavi know where to run, but he has the tenacity and stamina to run there, whereas Busi seems more laid back. Secondly his anticipation, cold-bloodedness and defensive skills are best utilized as DM/pivote.

Deco 20

Scandinavian 101
Improved in the way he can now almost influence the game with his vision. Before, he was just there to disrupt the opponent.

He did that before as well. If we're speaking of through balls, check the CDR final and Euro final. If it's about dictating games, he did it too.

JamDav1982

messi did also drop deeper in previous season as well and played those balls out wide. busquets didn't. also plays more passes into deep.

why did you just bring up chelsea? because they won? they are a horrible example btw, because their defence leaked heavily. if you want a good example take real madrid 2-1 at camp nou where they won the title. but most of the teams have figured it out in last 2 years i'd say.
hate to admit it, but this was the real masterpiece of defending by them. i'd say the only time they have clearl outplayed barca in last 4-5 years.

alba is the key here. he is just unbelivable, he can run forward but can get back so quickly as well like he never went even forward. unbelivable player.

Totally disagree, I think Messi and others have been given more instructions to play more cross field balls etc when they see the full backs in space.

It is easy to say it is all because Alba has arrived, but many teams have two attacking fullbacks but dont allow both to push on at the same time the way Villanova is allowing them to do.

Chelsea not a great example as Barcelona did make chances and they were lucky, but those games did show the weakness Barcelona had last season when funneled into wide areas against a defence that sat deep.

Irish_Cules

I have my doubts on Sergio playing in the Xavi role. Firstly he's far less mobile than Xavi, who is a master at finding spaces to run into and making himself available for passes. Not only does Xavi know where to run, but he has the tenacity and stamina to run there, whereas Busi seems more laid back. Secondly his anticipation, cold-bloodedness and defensive skills are best utilized as DM/pivote.

Agreed. Busquets is perfecting his position, so moving him from here is really pointless. I think people are too obsessed about finding the next Xavi. There wont be another Xavi, he is unique. We have in Cesc, Thiago, Iniesta and Busquets great midfielders who are ingrained to play the Barcelona way. They dont dictate the game the same way as Xavi but they have the skills and knowledge to still boss any midfield in world football. There's no point in trying to turning any of them into Xavi because that wont happen.

DonAndres

Wild Man of Borneo
Busquets should never take over the Xavi role. Why? Because he is perfect in the Busquets role. Outstanding covering and off the ball positioning with unbelievable discipline and defensive brain. Not to mention his one touch passing, vision, and ability to think critically. We need him MUCH more defensively than offensively. He's Claude Makelele meets Xavi. Besides we have a bunch of other players who are more than able to take the Xavi role and would actually be better at it than Busi. Right now there is Thiago but frankly as much as i love him i see Samper as a more worthy heir simply because of his ability to read a game and distribute the ball where it needs to be perfectly. Thiago has unmatched technical ability but Samper has that Xavi brain which really is the most important part of that role. Plus Thiago looks more deadly in an attacking standpoint when he's drawing in defenders and playing key passes or lobbed through balls.

kostasgtc

Agreed. Busquets is perfecting his position, so moving him from here is really pointless. I think people are too obsessed about finding the next Xavi. There wont be another Xavi, he is unique. We have in Cesc, Thiago, Iniesta and Busquets great midfielders who are ingrained to play the Barcelona way. They dont dictate the game the same way as Xavi but they have the skills and knowledge to still boss any midfield in world football. There's no point in trying to turning any of them into Xavi because that wont happen.
totaly agree noone can replace xavi because he is the best midlefielder off all times.just that simple.

BerkeleyBernie

I have my doubts on Sergio playing in the Xavi role. Firstly **he's far less mobile than Xavi,** who is a master at finding spaces to run into and making himself available for passes. Not only does Xavi know where to run, but he has the tenacity and stamina to run there, whereas Busi seems more laid back. Secondly his anticipation, cold-bloodedness and defensive skills are best utilized as DM/pivote.

That's the key difference. They really play two different roles. Busquets is a deep pivot, Xavi is a mobile pivot. Thiago is the player who is emulating the mobile pivot role behind the attackers. Cesc is what I would call an attacking pivot. They are responsible for three different areas of the pitch.

http://la-liga.squawka.com/barcelona-vs-espanyol/06-01-2013/spanish-la-liga/matches

Busquets:

Busquets.gif

Xavi:

Xavi.gif

Thiago:

Thiago.gif

Cesc:

Cesc.gif

Home of Barca Fans