Sergio Busquets

Indignado

He had one outstanding game this season, namely the second leg against Milan. His overall season has been average, he underperforms quite often.

Irish_Cules

I am not talking about this match only. Compare his first season (or 2nd) to last one and current one and see what I'm talking about.

I don't think that's true. He was poor tonight but I think Busquets has become a better player this season and has been one of our best players. In his first two seasons he had a MUCH more solid defence behind him and had less covering to do. This season he has had to deal with having to cover two attacking full backs and having less pressure in general from our forwards in front of him which means that our first wave of pressure is passed by easier and leaves him with more work to do.

Deco 20

Scandinavian 101
I am not talking about this match only. Compare his first season (or 2nd) to last one and current one and see what I'm talking about.

I don't agree at all, I thought he was brilliant last season and has been so this season as well. IMO his worst season was the first, as he was a bit shaky and took time to settle into his role.

Antimadridista1

I still think that he is not strong enough physically and that against teams like Chelsea, PSG or Milan which have STRONG midfielders like Obi Mikel, Ramires, Matuidi, Muntari or even Ambrosini who play more with their physic than with their head, WE need to put Song in the midfield... I think that Busquets is doing an amazing season but since AC Milan and the last match against Malage, he is underperforming.

Stric

Busquets is a quality player with great skill, but he's too weak for a defensive midfielder, especially when facing giants like Ibra. Defensive midfielders today need to be physical. I can see Busquets transforming into a good CM, though.

DonAndres

Wild Man of Borneo
He's unbelievably consistent and rarely underperforms. I think handling Ibra threw him off a bit today but there's not much to worry about.

evilhita666

Barçapocalypse NOW!
Busquets is a quality player with great skill, but he's too weak for a defensive midfielder, especially when facing giants like Ibra. Defensive midfielders today need to be physical. I can see Busquets transforming into a good CM, though.

Busquets himself is proof that a DM doesn't have to be physical to succeed... His game revolves around positioning and anticipation, which reduces the chances of physical battles... Today his positioning failed, forcing him to play the physical game which is not his thing, therefore Ibra had the upper hand and dominated him, which begs the question why Song wasn't brought in to correct this? (The injuries of the argentines could have something to do with that, perhaps?)

footyfan

Calma, calma
Bartra vs Busquets vs Abidal for CB position....my bet is that Busquets is the safest option. I don't want to see Song in the backline, he can play DM.

Cruijffista

SOY ANTIMADRIDISTA
Bartra vs Busquets vs Abidal for CB position....my bet is that Busquets is the safest option. I don't want to see Song in the backline, he can play DM.

I'm just guessing here but I think they are going to give Bartra a serious look to see what they have or don't have in him.

If they insist on playing Song, then I do agree he should be the DM and let Busquets play as a CB then.

footyfan

Calma, calma
I'm just guessing here but I think they are going to give Bartra a serious look to see what they have or don't have in him.

If they insist on playing Song, then I do agree he should be the DM and let Busquets play as a CB then.

Busquets is actually pretty poor at CB but yeah I think he's the best of the lot we have remaining. Unless Bartra decides to do a Varane.

Cruijffista

SOY ANTIMADRIDISTA
Busquets is actually pretty poor at CB but yeah I think he's the best of the lot we have remaining. Unless Bartra decides to do a Varane.

I think the club is going to have to give Bartra a serious look here. If he can't step up, then he doesn't really belong on the team. It's now or never for him.

I really wish Tito would have experimented with a double-pivot of Busquets and Song earlier this year, as we would know right now if it would be a legitimate option to fall back on to make the team stronger defensively. It slows the game down a bit but I have always felt that it plays to Xavi's strengths on La Roja where he is allowed to be as methodical as ever. Problem is that it pushes Iniesta to the wings but he really roams the pitch like a madman in Del Bosque's system.

At least I don't have to watch Mascherano over-commit on every tackle he makes as a CB, it's so reckless at times.

Last edited:
I don't think Barca will play double pivot in the next decade

Im am not worried about Busquets. His season is not the best (last one was imo) but he is still the most consistent after Messi. I expect he will find his form again

Home of Barca Fans