Sergio Busquets

Hellsangel

He's a player who thrived/thrives in the tiki taka system with very small spaces everywhere. He can read the game and some particular situations perfectly well but gets horribly exposed when having to deal with space and pace. With the system we are playing right now, Mascherano is clearly the better option for me.

Nowadays he makes us look lightweight in midfield and he's also quite nochalant on the ball.

I wasn't paying close enough attention I guess. What I mean is I didn't see him get beat by madrid players on the counter but maybe that's cause he's slow he was already out of the picture. He made 3 great 1 on 1 tackles and made some great passes through the middle of the field that I wouldn't expect Masche to make.

khaled_a_d

He's a player who thrived/thrives in the tiki taka system with very small spaces everywhere. He can read the game and some particular situations perfectly well but gets horribly exposed when having to deal with space and pace. With the system we are playing right now, Mascherano is clearly the better option for me.

Nowadays he makes us look lightweight in midfield and he's also quite nochalant on the ball.

Mascherano right now might be our best CB (and defender for that matter) specially in big games ,right now we might need Mascherano as CB more than DM

Barcilliant

Busquets decline has coincided with Xavi and Iniesta's. THAT is NO coincidence.

He was great when Xavi and Iniesta were dominant because he just had to clean up, intercept and do the simple things well.

He's good at reading the game in that way.

However on a physical level he's piss poor. No athletic ability, no physicality and when spaces appear he's not strong and quick enough to close them down.

He should be on the bench and Mascherano should be our DM.

Morten

I never really rated him, even during your prime years with Guardiola. He fitted the system nicely, but for me it was clear as a day that Yaya was a more talented midfielder for almost any team, the same goes for Mascherano. Now reality calls you, you no longer have the means to play as you used to against better teams, you will have to play more ordinary. And Busquets lacks many qualities for what an ordinary dm needs, luckily you have Mascherano for that.

SeloBarca

Nah Busquetes is great, when he has great players to play with in the midfield. He grows with them, just like Iniesta and Xavi were much better together then only one of them at their peak.
He is however, much better in offense then defence.

Barcaman

Administrator
Staff member
He's an embarrasment to the shirt he's wearing. That's what he is.
If the excuse is injury then he shouldn't be playing, end of discussion.

Morten

Nah Busquetes is great, when he has great players to play with in the midfield. He grows with them, just like Iniesta and Xavi were much better together then only one of them at their peak.
He is however, much better in offense then defence.

Hence, he lacks many qualities what an ordinary dm needs.

Alarcón

Look at the people who come crawling from under their rocks now... Busquets distributes the ball like no other player in the world, and when our system works, he is the best DM in the world, and people who say he was never good must have short memories or a bad taste in football... he doesn't work in the mess that is our playing style and he doesn't work alongside 2 central midfielders who do literally no defensive work, fix the tactics and you fix him.

Pretty easy to blame it all on him because he is not fast and that is obvious at counter attacks but thinking it would be any better with another player in his place is just naive, play Mascherano there and what you'll get is 2 dumb tackles and 20 long balls a game, nothing else.

Zangash

Banned
He's an embarrasment to the shirt he's wearing. That's what he is.
If the excuse is injury then he shouldn't be playing, end of discussion.

Yes. Busquets, the worst player on the team, by far. Why are we cursed to have to watch him play week in, week out. Lucho, Tata, Tito, and Pep are all idiots for utilizing him when he doesn't even deserve to play for this team.

Lol.

Zangash

Banned

If you think Mascherano would have done any better the problem isn't Busquets, it's you.

SeloBarca

Look at the people who come crawling from under their rocks now... Busquets distributes the ball like no other player in the world, and when our system works, he is the best DM in the world, and people who say he was never good must have short memories or a bad taste in football... he doesn't work in the mess that is our playing style and he doesn't work alongside 2 central midfielders who do literally no defensive work, fix the tactics and you fix him.

Pretty easy to blame it all on him because he is not fast and that is obvious at counter attacks but thinking it would be any better with another player in his place is just naive, play Mascherano there and what you'll get is 2 dumb tackles and 20 long balls a game, nothing else.

agreed, its more then players he have beside him, then Busquetes himself.

khaled_a_d

Busquets was hands down the best DM in the world around 2012
he has declined for some time<whether it is that Hernia or something else he need to fix himself
our midfield is turning from gr8 to average to bad and now to awful very fast .players may suffer due to system or teammates declining but not to this degree ,and actually at his age he need to be the one who steps up when his teammates aren't showing

Home of Barca Fans