Sergio Busquets

gingerless

Totally agree. Like Xavi said, he's a little bit "puto", street smart. He draws fouls like nobody I've ever seen at his age, which is an art all by itself. In normal matches, he's very subtle, placing his body in the way of other players so that they are forced to plow into him, that kind of thing. The problem is that he sometimes overdoes it and it's too obvious. That happens in matches where teams like Inter and Real Madrid come out with the obvious game plan to physically intimidate Barça. Late challenges, stepping on ankles, knee stomps, hip checks, throwing elbows, all that violent bullshit that a small team like Barcelona would be vulnerable too if it weren't for players like Busquets drawing yellows and reds from assholes like Motta and Marcelo. Honestly, I can't understand how people think that stomping on somebody's ankle is "part of the game", but go nuts if somebody exaggerates the pain felt by that stomp so that they referee will punish the violent player. It's like they think that they should just stoically take the physical abuse, which will escalate if they are not punished, until Pepe finally breaks Xavi's leg or something. Fuck that. Drawing cards by calling the referee's attention to each and every one of the violent tactics is a way to protect themselves from the Pepe's of the world. Deal with it.

word

fcbarcatenerife

Motta's red was deserved though. A hit in the face is a yellow no matter what. Busquets milking it shouldn't have affected the decision.

Exactly right. Motta was playing wild that match. He had already received a warning, a yellow and he just kept on playing on the edge. Busquets was smart to go down when he caught him in the face with his hand. He was dumb to do the peekaboo though ;)

e28makaveli

A mediocre and expendable player who singlehandedly triggers so much controversy on a club as respectful as Barca needs a real reprimand. The past 6 pages on this thread is all negative and this is not good imho.

fcbarcatenerife

A mediocre and expendable player who singlehandedly triggers so much controversy on a club as respectful as Barca needs a real reprimand. The past 6 pages on this thread is all negative and this is not good imho.

Mediocre and expendable?

I guess that's why he started in the CL final against Man Utd at age 20. I guess that's why the team was able to sell a beast like Yaya Toure for a profit and at the same time get better defensively with him in the line up. I guess that's why he started every match for the WC Champions and the coach of that team, Vicente Del Bosque, said that if he could come back as any football player, he'd come back as Sergio Busquets. I guess that's why one of the most highly regarded DMs in the world, Javier Mascherano, is his backup. I guess that's why Pep and Xavi constantly talk about how great he is.

Actually no, it was your comment that was mediocre and expendable. Busquets is a phenomenon and he's going to be anchoring our midfield for a long, long time ;)

e28makaveli

Totally agree. Like Xavi said, he's a little bit "puto", street smart. He draws fouls like nobody I've ever seen at his age, which is an art all by itself. In normal matches, he's very subtle, placing his body in the way of other players so that they are forced to plow into him, that kind of thing. The problem is that he sometimes overdoes it and it's too obvious. That happens in matches where teams like Inter and Real Madrid come out with the obvious game plan to physically intimidate Barça. Late challenges, stepping on ankles, knee stomps, hip checks, throwing elbows, all that violent bullshit that a small team like Barcelona would be vulnerable too if it weren't for players like Busquets drawing yellows and reds from assholes like Motta and Marcelo. Honestly, I can't understand how people think that stomping on somebody's ankle is "part of the game", but go nuts if somebody exaggerates the pain felt by that stomp so that they referee will punish the violent player. It's like they think that they should just stoically take the physical abuse, which will escalate if they are not punished, until Pepe finally breaks Xavi's leg or something. Fuck that. Drawing cards by calling the referee's attention to each and every one of the violent tactics is a way to protect themselves from the Pepe's of the world. Deal with it.

I do no believing in fighting evil with evil. I prefer to take the higher moral ground and resort to positive, albeit harder, ways to deal with thuggish teams. Things that can be done are:

1. Releasing the ball early
2. Losing your marker by being alert, staying on you toes, moving around and using the space around you.
3. Staying tough. It is not as if these guys are from another planet. The have 2 balls just like u and me.

If anything, this makes you a better and adaptable team, instead of relying on the referees, who are human, to help you out. Also, this gives you better control of the outcome. Barca is definitely capable of this.

Negative ploys is like a boomerang - comes back to bite u in the rear. Typically, these are also the easier way to deal with such opposition.

Last edited:

zanela

I do no believing in fighting evil with evil. I prefer to take the higher moral ground and resort to positive, albeit harder, ways to deal with thuggish teams. Thing that can be done are:

1. Releasing the ball early
2. Losing your marker by being alert, staying on you toes, moving around and using the space around you.
3. Staying tough. It is not as if these guys are from another planet. The have 2 balls just like u and me.

If anything, this makes you a better and adaptable team, instead of relying on the referees, who are human, to help you out. Also, this gives you better control of the outcome. Barca is definitely capable of this.

Negative ploys is like a boomerang - comes back to bite u in the rear. Typically, these are also the easier way to deal with such opposition.

Well said. Exactly what Xavi and Messi (to a lesser degree) are so good at, have been on the scene much longer and don't resort to rubbish antics at such a significant scale to gain advantage over the opposition.

e28makaveli

Mediocre and expendable?

I guess that's why he started in the CL final against Man Utd at age 20. I guess that's why the team was able to sell a beast like Yaya Toure for a profit and at the same time get better defensively with him in the line up. I guess that's why he started every match for the WC Champions and the coach of that team, Vicente Del Bosque, said that if he could come back as any football player, he'd come back as Sergio Busquets. I guess that's why one of the most highly regarded DMs in the world, Javier Mascherano, is his backup. I guess that's why Pep and Xavi constantly talk about how great he is.

Actually no, it was your comment that was mediocre and expendable. Busquets is a phenomenon and he's going to be anchoring our midfield for a long, long time ;)
Ask Vicente Del Bosque if he will make the same comment now. Also, why is Xavi now defending the negative actions of this legend? Sorry but Busquets is no legend as far as I am concerned. Messi is a legend. Zidane is a legend. Not Busquets but again this is relative depending on our respective definitions of the word legend.

Busquets may have started out very well when Vicente Del Bosque made that comment. He brought precision and agility to the middle but he was younger, eager and trying to establish himself. I was also once a fan of this guy, calling him the midfeild marshall and all, but I have a low tolerance for players who refuse to fully utilize their abilities and instead resort to cheap tricks. These are lazy players in my opinion.

The sad thing is Busquets is now fully established but instead of doing more to improve on the positive aspects of his game, he is doing otherwise. I truly think he is expendable. But this is my opinion. For the sake of the team and his career, I hope he grows up and focus on the bigger picture.

Let us see how long he will be around if he does not straighten up. He is not bigger than Barca.

La Furia

Legion of Doooom
Well said. Exactly what Xavi and Messi (to a lesser degree) are so good at, have been on the scene much longer and don't resort to rubbish antics at such a significant scale to gain advantage over the opposition.

Xavi is the first Barcelona player to run over and harass refs when the team wants to draw a foul.

jairzinho

ive never been an avid fan of sergi.b but he's a good player and he's young, and when you're young you'll do some silly things. hopefully as he matures, we'll start seeing less theatrics. about him being dirty or savvy, i've never honestly seen him in that light. he's far from imposing, and is no masch, gattuso, de rossi or even pepe. he's definitely not the type of DM that scares you. but then again. he is good for what he is, and is an invaluable part of the team.

just my two cents ;)

Barcaman

Administrator
Staff member
Not remotely close in comparison to Sergio.
I don't mind occasional overreacting btw. Particularly when we have an opponent that's too aggressive.
But the obvious shenanigans displayed by Sergio and Dani are something that's in discrepancy to our club's ethic. I still like them both but I strongly feel they need to cut it down.

Hatem Ben Arfa

?Sergio Busquets Accused of Racism? !

People are claming Busquets called Marcelo a Monkey ('Mono')

If there is any truth to these claims then my opinion of Busquets is at an even lower all time low! I never liked him anyway, he's a little sissy! If Yaya Toure could stop partying and and control his weight problems, Busquets would never have played enough to have the chance to shame the name of Futbol Club Barcelona with his diving Oscar nominee peak-a-boo antics!

It doesn't take expert lip readers to be able to tell what swear words a footballer is saying on the pitch. So I truly hope everyone is mistakenly lip reading Busquets and claiming he called Marcelo a 'Mono'

what is everyone elses lipreading take on the video?

I don't know what to believe. But the way he covers his mouth as he says it, almost as if whispering seems to indicate he is saying something he shouldn't.

Hope this is just Marca bull-cr@p! Especially given that Marcelo did not seem to react to it.

Last edited:

XaviMessiGirl

I'm not a lip reader by any means so I can't be positive. The thing with that is, I find it weird that Mourinho is not coming at us with that. Nor has Marcelo said anything.

But honestly, if it wasn't something bad that he'd get in trouble for, why would he cover his mouth while saying it? That's incriminating in itself.

Home of Barca Fans