Summer Olympics Paris - 2024

Loki

another priceless olympic moment, hats off to DJ

Yeah saw that on twitter. In general I feel like the dj plays a big part in beach volleyball. He often leads the mood.

edit: Maybe we should try that in football too. Imagine Vinicius screaming "Concha de tu madre" to Kounde. And then this song starts and they start smiling, or not.

Maradona37

So according to wikipedia this is the lineup for the finals on the last night of athletics (not including women's marathon tomorrow). I haven't looked on olympics.com to give the exact order and times.

Men: 800m, 5000m, 4 times 400m relay, high jump
Women: 1500m, 100m hurdles, 4 times 400m relay, javelin

8 finals. 6 track events, 2 field. Should be good.

Maradona37

women's handball gold medal match is starting now, Norway vs France
Gonna miss a lot of it cos of Community Shield. I'd like to have watched the full match.

France doing well though in the team events eh? Silver in men's football, gold in men's volleyball, silver or gold in women's handball.

Loki

So according to wikipedia this is the lineup for the finals on the last night of athletics (not including women's marathon tomorrow). I haven't looked on olympics.com to give the exact order and times.

Men: 800m, 5000m, 4 times 400m relay, high jump
Women: 1500m, 100m hurdles, 4 times 400m relay, javelin

8 finals. 6 track events, 2 field. Should be good.
XY highjump 19:00 cest.
XY 800m 19:15 cest
XX javelin 19:30
XX 100m hurdles 19:35
XY 5000m 19:50
XX 1500m 20:15
XY relay 400m 21:00
XX relay 400m 21:15

Loki

France doing well though in the team events eh? Silver in men's football, gold in men's volleyball, silver or gold in women's handball.
Well home olympics. I think every country doing good at home. I imagine the preparation is more intense than usual, for every athlete wants to win before the home crowd. The rewards are probably bigger than usual too from their federation.

Maradona37

Handball looks good. I think it was Messi983 who said handball players play as inverted wingers now, similar to footballers. Seem true.

Could they play futsal on handball courts? They look eerily similar, though the dimensions may be different? They should introduce futsal or 7 a side football at the Olympics.

Maradona37

Well home olympics. I think every country doing good at home. I imagine the preparation is more intense than usual, for every athlete wants to win before the home crowd. The rewards are probably bigger than usual too from their federation.
True have to take that into account.

They say the Olympics are a net negative for countries financially, but SOMETIMES the legacy they leave can't really be measured in finance. Prestige and future sporting improvement.

For instance, here in the UK I am sure our performance in Olympics has greatly improved since London 2012. I might be wrong but read that a few times.

Loki

Overall medals it's a duel between China and US.
China leading with 1 gold medal 34 to 33. US leading in silver 41 to 27 and bronze 39 to 23.

Messi983

Gonna miss a lot of it cos of Community Shield. I'd like to have watched the full match.

They've bottled it in men's handball QF vs Germany. Were up by 2 goals with 14 seconds left but somehow lost. Crazy game.

France will also play basketball final against USA tonight but will be a big surprise if they would win (though "Dream Team" looked very unconvincing against Serbia)

Also women's basketball final tomorrow (actually the last sporting event) against United States that they are even more unlikely to win.

Maradona37

China leading with 1 gold medal 34 to 33. US leading in silver 41 to 27 and bronze 39 to 23.
USA were tied with China last night on gold medals. China must have won one today.

That could all change after the track and field tonight too given USA's (cough PEDS cough) dominance in that sport at this Olympics.

Maradona37

They've bottled it in men's handball QF vs Germany. Were up by 2 goals with 14 seconds left but somehow lost. Crazy game.

France will also play basketball final against USA tonight but will be a big surprise if they would win (though "Dream Team" looked very uncovnicing against Serbia)

Also women's basketball final tomorrow (actually the last sporting event) against United States that they are even more unlikely to win.
I heard about that. I heard Germany scored two goals in 6 seconds or something (you say 14). Even if 14 how is that even possible?

I can't open the video, not available in my country or something? I will mess with VPNs later to see if I can watch it.

USA are powerhouse in basketball and by far the best, so getting silver to them is essentially like gold lol.

Still, medaling in three (or more?) team events is pretty good even if they do have the advantage of being host nation.

Messi983

US should win this comfortably. They still play for gold in football, basketball and volleyball (all women) and basketball (men). And will probably win a few more in athletics as well.

Loki

USA were tied with China last night on gold medals. China must have won one today.

That could all change after the track and field tonight too given USA's (cough PEDS cough) dominance in that sport at this Olympics.
But it's only a matter of time until China will be the undisputed medal leader. I give it 10-20 years and China will have double-triple the golds of every other nation. No country will have a chance against these propaganda academies in the long run, where they breed cyborgs for the only reason to compete in the olympics.

Home of Barca Fans