Summer Olympics Paris - 2024

Maradona37

But it's only a matter of time until China will be the undisputed medal leader. I give it 10-20 years and China will have double-triple the golds of every other nation. No country will have a chance against these propaganda academies in the long run, where they breed cyborgs for the only reason to compete in the olympics.
True.

Like you say it's propaganda for making people feel better about their lives - keeping them in their box and letting them live vicariously through athletes.

If regular people didn't feel that connection there is no way any country would take sport as seriously just as a game as China seemingly does.

In saying that, look how crazy people get at the World Cup. But I more mean the governments. They know they can politicise sport. Macron is doing it now.

Maradona37

In fact never mind, Norway are in blue LOL. Just turned it on.

Not sure why Norway can't wear red (just seen it's their home colour) and France blue but ah well.

Messi983

But it's only a matter of time until China will be the undisputed medal leader. I give it 10-20 years and China will have double-triple the golds of every other nation. No country will have a chance against these propaganda academies in the long run, where they breed cyborgs for the only reason to compete in the olympics.

Doubt it.

Americans can basically win any team sport they want besides men's football (but Chinese are even far less competitive there), China is not even close. I mean US even play for bronze in water polo which is not a sport I would consider they should/would be good at.

They will always be a dominant force in athletics and swimming (both sports where most medals are available) and good enough in several other sports to get medals here and there. China will ofc be in front in traditional Asian sports like table tennis and badminton while also good in weight lifting and shooting.

Maradona37

If you shoot into the goalkeeper's face in handball you can be sent off for 2 minutes apparently. That's what this commentator said.

That seems harsh. What if you mishit it/misdirect it? Admittedly harder with hands than feet, but still.

Messi983

If you shoot into the goalkeeper's face in handball you can be sent off for 2 minutes apparently. That's what this commentator said.

That seems harsh. What if you mishit it/misdirect it? Admittedly harder with hands than feet, but still.

Yep. it's dangerous.

14b7e739-7196-4bce-93f3-297bf20f4232-jpeg-24f1499e853dfeea9a9fb154562ed674.jpg

Maradona37

Yep. it's dangerous.

14b7e739-7196-4bce-93f3-297bf20f4232-jpeg-24f1499e853dfeea9a9fb154562ed674.jpg
Jeez. That looks awful.

But sometimes a player will shoot and accidentally hit the face. How do you decide what is deliberate and what isn't? It can be hard to tell but I guess that's why they're qualified officials.

Maybe goalies should wear cages like ice hockey players.

Messi983

It's refs decision but I think after rule changes few years ago every shot in GKs face should be a 2 min penalty.

Refs often have too much power and can decide games (maybe not results but certainly flow of the games) on their own. That's why I don't like handball that much.

Maradona37

US v France gold medal match in basketball later today.

40 year old Lebron about to be a freight train to the basket again :lol:
I know they nearly had a surprise against Serbia (was it Serbia?), but this must be easy peasy for the US men's basketball team. Does anyone generally even come close to them?

KingLeo10

I know they nearly had a surprise against Serbia (was it Serbia?), but this must be easy peasy for the US men's basketball team. Does anyone generally even come close to them?
It's a lot more competitive than it used to be as European basketball players are actually good these days (including some insane ones like Jokic and Doncic and Giannis). But if team US is at their best, no one's a match in basketball.

Blew Serbia away 32-15 in the 4Q once it was time to deliver.

Maradona37

It's a lot more competitive than it used to be as European basketball players are actually good these days (including some insane ones like Jokic and Doncic and Giannis). But if team US is at their best, no one's a match in basketball.

Blew Serbia away 32-15 in the 4Q once it was time to deliver.
Fair enough. It sounds like they were complacent and when they got serious they improved. I did hear that eastern European nations and Spain too had vastly improved in recent decades in basketball. Barca have a basketball team don't they? And other La Liga clubs.

I don't know much about basketball at all but it always looked a very interesting sport. I always liked it and ice hockey more than baseball and NFL. The squeaking of the trainers is kinda annoying though.

Loki

German athlete Leonie Beck said she had to throw up 9 times and had diarrhea. No, not after reading some posts in redcafe, but after swimming in the Seine.

Home of Barca Fans