Tennis

KingLeo10

Djokovic began racking up grand slams when Fed and Nadal fell off a cliff.

I would take prime Nadal (08-10) as the highest peak in history, given his competition and achievements.

I would take prime Federer as the most overwhelming attacking force in history (outside of prime Sampras on old Wimbledon courts).

Djokovic has the best CV of the 3 (obviously) but imo, the claim for GOAT isn't that simple. All 3 have it IMO.

Maradona37

Does it count against Nadal that he's significantly stronger on clay than any other surface? Or is it a case of he's still great on other ones, just a master of clay?

Maradona37

I would take prime Nadal (08-10) as the highest peak in history, given his competition and achievements.

I would take prime Federer as the most overwhelming attacking force in history (outside of prime Sampras on old Wimbledon courts).

Djokovic has the best CV of the 3 (obviously) but imo, the claim for GOAT isn't that simple. All 3 have it IMO.
Nadal - peak

Federer - style and mastery and artistry

Djoko - stats and achievements

it sounds like.

KingLeo10

Does it count against Nadal that he's significantly stronger on clay than any other surface? Or is it a case of he's still great on other ones, just a master of clay?
He's still managed to beat Djokovic in 2 hard slam finals.

And Federer at both Wimbledon and AO Open (multiple times).

But he's not as complete as the other two, for sure.

Maradona37

He's still managed to beat Djokovic in 2 hard slam finals.

And Federer at both Wimbledon and AO Open (multiple times).

But he's not as complete as the other two, for sure.
Fair enough. It sounds like he still had his victories then, I do know he beat Federer on grass in 2008 at Wimbledon in an amazing match.

Like I say I have surface (no pun intended) level knowledge of tennis. I wish I'd have watched it when they were all in their heyday. Now they're all retired or close it seems less important to start, past the Golden Age.

Maradona37

Absolute hammering really.

Is this Alcaraz kid a potential future greatest player ever then? Seems like he's winning lots of slams at a young age. Or is he simply gonna be the best after the golden era just past?

serghei

Not true. Djokovic is same gen as Nadal. When you are the almost same age as your competitor, it doesn't get any fairer comparison than this.

Don't tell me Nadal was past it at 25. That's peak age. His only problem is that Djokovic peaked at that time too and he's a better player than Nadal on 3/4 surfaces.

KingLeo10

Not true. Djokovic is same gen as Nadal. When you are the almost same age as your competitor, it doesn't get any fairer comparison than this.

Don't tell me Nadal was past it at 25. That's peak age. His only problem is that Djokovic peaked at that time too and he's a better player than Nadal on 3/4 surfaces.

Nadal faced the best version of Federer and also the best version of Djokovic and won against both on their turf multiple times.

He even beat Djokovic in US open in 2013 final when Djokovic was in that 2011-2016 stretch.

Djokovic hasn't beaten prime Nadal and prime Federer on their favorite surfaces. His first win v Nadal in RG came in 15 or 16? And first against Federer on grass came in 2014 lol.

All you need to do is look at Djokovic's GS record from 2011-2016:

12 W, 7 L

3 L to Nadal, 2 to Murray, 2 to Wawrinka

He feasted on 18-onwards era (Nadal did too but Djokovic more so).

serghei

Nadal faced the best version of Federer and also the best version of Djokovic and won against both on their turf multiple times.

He even beat Djokovic in US open in 2013 final when Djokovic was in that 2011-2016 stretch.

Djokovic hasn't beaten prime Nadal and prime Federer on their favorite surfaces. His first win v Nadal in RG came in 15 or 16? And first against Federer on grass came in 2014 lol.

Djokovic beat Federer quite early too. 2008 AO comes to mind, quite a clear win. Actually beat Federer in a slam outside clay before Nadal.

There's an argument to be had about Federer vs Djokovic, where there is a substantial age difference, but for Djokovic - Nadal rivalry, Djokovic is on top for nothing else than him being the superior player.

I would say that Federer dominated Djokovic on HC and grass during his prime, while Djokovic dominated Federer later. What would've happened if we saw 2011 Djokovic vs 2006 Federer... peak for peak on HC, hard to say.

serghei

All you need to do is look at Djokovic's GS record from 2011-2016:

12 W, 7 L

3 L to Nadal, 2 to Murray, 2 to Wawrinka

He feasted on 18-onwards era (Nadal did too but Djokovic more so).

Of course when you win 24 GS that a good chunk is won late in your career due to poor new gen rivals, but that's because Nadal couldn't last as long to challenge Djokovic. Tied to longevity really.

Just imagine Djokovic did not have Nadal as rival at all or viceversa. Each of them reach 28-30 majors for sure.

Home of Barca Fans