The Negreira case

serghei

I just put forward an argumented opinion and an assessment of the club's exposure in this case. And you give me the same old tropes.

Porque

They knew the issue imo. All presidents probably knew the club's exposure in this case, and didn't want to burst the bubble.

Well it was clearly a huge error of judgement to not cut the payments at that point, given what it is snowballed to today.

I'm not sure if extortion would be the reason to continue though. 20 years ago, if this were a form of service payments for indirect refereeing influence, it would have been more incriminating to Negueira than to the incoming board. And since we are giving our interpretations (for lack of evidence as this continues to come out), I think at that point in Negueira career that he would deny any malice in the contract if it were to be broken or brought public.

But be it extortion, paying off refs, or legitimate services, the core of the issue is what exactly these payments were for. Laporta is going to come out looking bad and will probably have exposure through an investigative journalist, he is damn lucky that it is limited to 10 years. But it may cost him his position.

Which in a way is good if the whole Nunezistas and Elefant Blau are annexed from presidency and we can move forward with some innovation (Xavi, xavi, xavi, xavi or someone else).

Last edited:

serghei

Well it was clearly a huge error of judgement to not cut the payments at that point, given what it is snowballed to today.

I'm not sure if extortion would be the reason to continue though. 20 years ago, if this were a form of service payments for indirect refereeing influence, it would have been more incriminating to Negueira than to the incoming board. And since we are giving our interpretations (for lack of evidence as this continues to come out), I think at that point in Negueira career that he would deny any malice in the contract if it were to be broken or brought public.

But be it extortion, paying off refs, or legitimate services, the core of the issue is what exactly these payments were for. Laporta is going to come out looking bad and will probably have exposure through an investigative journalist, he is damn lucky that it is limited to 10 years. But it may cost him his position.

Which in a way is good if the whole Nunezistas and Elefant Blau are annexed from presidency and we can move forward with some innovation (Xavi, xavi, xavi, xavi or someone else).

Listen, past a point extortion is certain. Almost 100% at some point it became extortion. Part scam, part extortion. The time table and specifics need to be investigated. The bad news for all league would be if the whole refereeing structure is corrupted, not just this Negreira dude.

I doubt this is the case.

Last edited:

DonAK

President of FC Barcelona
This is a prime example of why this club should be sold. It's ran by fucking idiots. It doesn't matter if we have a few years of competence because eventually the socis are gonna vote in more idiots doing their best to liquidate this club.

ajnotkeith

The Spanish Prosecutor's Office have officially denounced Barca over the Negreira case, stating that there was an agreement between the two parties to provide favourable refereeing for Barca in exchange for money.

Bartomeu is the only individual who can officially be implicated as the statue of limitations has expired for the other presidents, but Barcelona as a club can still officially charged.

In 2020, Negreira got in contact with Barca saying 'I can help you with the VAR. If you are interested, contact me'. The club had cut their relationship off with him at this point and did not respond - after the season ended, he got in contact again to say 'You would have done better with me'.

- Not looking good.

Luftstalag14

Culé de Celestial Empire
https://www.palco23.com/clubes/la-f...arcelona-sandro-rosell-y-josep-maria-bartomeu

:facepalm:

Indeed not looking good. Not sure where and how the Prosecutor's Office established this: "The agreement was for Negreira in exchange for money, to carry out actions aimed at favoring the club in the decision-making of the referees in the matches played by the club, and thus in the results of the competitions.", but if this can be substantiated, then we are fucked.

If true, the fallout will be huge.

Last edited:

serghei

https://www.palco23.com/clubes/la-f...arcelona-sandro-rosell-y-josep-maria-bartomeu

:facepalm:

Indeed not looking good. Not sure where and how the Prosecutor's Office established this: "The agreement was for Negreira in exchange for money, to carry out actions aimed at favoring the club in the decision-making of the referees in the matches played by the club, and thus in the results of the competitions.", but if this can be substantiated, then we are fucked.

If true, the fallout will be huge.

That's a serious accusation and the club should respond accordingly.

Prosecutors should come up with names of refs, transactions and full details if they are blaming us for some Calciopoli shit.

Luftstalag14

Culé de Celestial Empire
That's a serious accusation and the club should respond accordingly.

Prosecutors should come up with names of refs, transactions and full details if they are blaming us for some Calciopoli shit.

I don't think they even need to come up with the name of the refs allegedly influenced or involved, the mere intent that we tried to influence would convict us. Again, the result doesn't matter, the intent (if they can establish it and prove it) does.

serghei

I don't think they even need to come up with the name of the refs allegedly influenced or involved, the mere intent that we tried to influence would convict us. Again, the result doesn't matter, the intent (if they can establish it and prove it) does.

How do you prove that we tried to influence them if you don't find any real links? It's not like you put that in a contract or some sort.

So far all that has come out is related to the Negreira crook. We need to wait and see what they have. If it's only related to Negreira, who's not exactly credible and is already a documented extortionist, their case is slim.

Last edited:

Luftstalag14

Culé de Celestial Empire
How do you prove that we tried to influence them if you don't find any real links? It's not like you put that in a contract or some sort.

So far all that has come out is related to the Negreira crook. We need to wait and see what they have. If it's only related to Negreira, who's not exactly credible and is already a documented extortionist, their case is slim.

If Negreira comes out and testifies that the intent of us paying him all those years was to influence the refs, and if there were no other written contracts found (since it was allegedly a verbal agreement) and no evidence of other legit services were provided, then we are screwed.

For our defense, we need to come up with the actual legit services (video analysis etc. or whatnot) he provided to the club. Still, we paid over 7m for video analysis? Hard to believe.

ajnotkeith

I think 'I can help you with the VAR' kind of places what this guys 'services' were quite well.

serghei

If Negreira comes out and testifies that the intent of us paying him all those years was to influence the refs, and if there were no other written contracts found (since it was allegedly a verbal agreement) and no evidence of other legit services were provided, then we are screwed.

For our defense, we need to come up with the actual legit services (video analysis etc. or whatnot) he provided to the club. Still, we paid over 7m for video analysis? Hard to believe.

Come on... that's not credible at all. The guy is grumpy the club is not paying him anymore, he has all the interest in the world to throw dirt at the club. Guy is a conman.

Home of Barca Fans