Thiago Silva

Meitux

I dont know what the club cant understand thought,there are limited chances or its impossible to sign him.We have kept our total focus to him and at the we will end up with noone as someone else would take Marquinhos

Ghost

In counterattacking situations we've faced, there's probably nothing that Silva individually would've done differently than Pique/Puyol that would be of any real help.

So you think Thiago wouldn't have helped us in any way in a situation like this? His pace alone would've been enough.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t32G9nbuXbc

Not to mention the 10 odd times where Ronaldo/Di Maria has completely owned Pique on the counter, obviously. I just don't want to waste my time trying to find them all.

Last edited:

DonAndres

Wild Man of Borneo
So you think Thiago wouldn't have helped us in any way in a situation like this?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t32G9nbuXbc

Not to mention the 10+ odd times where Ronaldo/Di Maria has completely owned Pique on the counter, obviously. I just don't want to waste my time trying to find them all.

Obviously he would've helped, but that's not to say that no one could've done it but him. And what's the point of paying 50m for a guy when even a 15m defender could've done better in that situation (not bashing Puyol, it was just a shitty error). Our goal is to envision a defense where there aren't 3 forwards going up against 1-2 defenders where we get creamed. Our goal is to create such a solid defense and midfield where they can't even get in such situations and if they do, the defenders remain calm and composed, not breaking the line and giving them acres of space. A good defense covers for each other as a unit, it's not just one star guy like Silva trying to make last ditch tackles every minute to save our ass unsuccessfully. And if we did do better as a unit (with the help of midfielders and fullbacks) then even Marquinhos would be as good as Silva because of the overall easier nature of the job.

BarcaOG

Banned
considering his age, injury record, and market value, tiago is not a sensible transfer target.

the board should exercise vision and opt for a younger, promising center back.

aka hummels or someone like him. i'm sure there are names out there. we need our own varane.

ebc_99

Thiago Silva is one of the best defenders in the world, in my opinion he is the best. He is not only a great defender but just as important for Barca is that he is a leader which is something the team lacks without Puyol at the back. He would be a huge upgrade on a 35 year old Puyol and Masch, Pique would benefit from it as well just as David Luiz does playing alongside him for Brazil.

His age is not an issue and I don't understand why people keep mentioning it as he is only 28, which is about 6 months younger than Iniesta. If Barca put Iniesta up for sale this summer for 45million all the top teams in Europe would be fighting over him, his age wouldn't come into it. Iniesta is the best in his position and Thiago Silva is the best in his, both are good for another 4 or 5 years.

Marquinhos is a really good prospect but he may never reach the heights of Silva, I think it is the wrong decision to go for the younger player because he might be a better long term prospect. Barca need a top class CB now, someone who can slip right in alongside Pique and lead the defence. Marquinhos has had 1 good season and may fade like a lot of young players do, but if he has another great season at Roma, Barca can sign him next summer. Who knows, maybe next year there will be another young hotshot we should sign, this time last year I had never heard of Varane or Marquinhos.

Thiago Silva will not solve all defensive problems, but at least he is a natural CB in his prime which is a darn sight better than what we have at the moment.

Semi-Neutral

Sir Alupp Heynrguson
If Barca put Iniesta up for sale this summer for 45million all the top teams in Europe would be fighting over him, his age wouldn't come into it. Iniesta is the best in his position and Thiago Silva is the best in his, both are good for another 4 or 5 years.

Because CBs, especially ones in the mold of Thiago Silva, rely a lot more on pace and physicality than midfielders like Iniesta. He'll only get worse from now and is not a long-term buy at all. I can see him being the best CB in the world for another season at the very best, and then start sloping off. If we're going for expensive signings, Ramos is better in every way in my opinion. He's one and a half years younger, is Spanish and forms a really good CB partnership with Pique.

Indignado

Because CBs, especially ones in the mold of Thiago Silva, rely a lot more on pace and physicality than midfielders like Iniesta. He'll only get worse from now and is not a long-term buy at all. I can see him being the best CB in the world for another season at the very best, and then start sloping off. If we're going for expensive signings, Ramos is better in every way in my opinion. He's one and a half years younger, is Spanish and forms a really good CB partnership with Pique.

We'll never get Ramos and imo he's overrated.

Birdy

Guys you just dont get that we do not need just a good defender, but a defender with specific characteristics that Silva lacks..
If we want a new version of Pique, or an upgraded one, yeah we should go for him, he is anything closer (or better) to Pique we can get..

But, we dont want a new Pique (for now), but a new Puyol.. If you grasp that, then we can continue the serious part of the conversation..

PS: For those who still have objective eyes and watch football -and are not delluded by personal emotions, likes or dislikes - its pretty obvious that Silva is not a pacy defender. Silva is a defender that reads the game well, makes clearences based on his reading and has all the abilities with the ball and in the air mentioned.. This ABC football.
Maybe he has a good pace for his height compared to others with the same height, but saying he is pacy or agile is quite laughable..

F

Flavia

Guys you just dont get that we do not need just a good defender, but a defender with specific characteristics that Silva lacks..
If we want a new version of Pique, or an upgraded one, yeah we should go for him, he is anything closer (or better) to Pique we can get..

But, we dont want a new Pique (for now), but a new Puyol.. If you grasp that, then we can continue the serious part of the conversation..

PS: For those who still have objective eyes and watch football -and are not delluded by personal emotions, likes or dislikes - its pretty obvious that Silva is not a pacy defender. Silva is a defender that reads the game well, makes clearences based on his reading and has all the abilities with the ball and in the air mentioned.. This ABC football.
Maybe he has a good pace for his height compared to others with the same height, but saying he is pacy or agile is quite laughable..
It's laughable you insisting he's not fast, when even by watching one game of his you can see he is. He is nothing like Pique, but I guess it's pointless to try to discuss this.

Semi-Neutral

Sir Alupp Heynrguson
Mate, you're the only one in this discussion who thinks Thiago Silva isn't pacy...

IMO, our priorities should be something like this:
1. Ramos
2. I. Martinez
3. Marquinhos
4. Thiago Silva

XaviMessiGirl

Anyone who suggests Silva is slow probably hasn't watched much of him at all. Or else I'm not sure what you consider "fast" then :eusa_think:

F

Flavia

Mate, you're the only one in this discussion who thinks Thiago Silva isn't pacy...

IMO, our priorities should be something like this:
1. Ramos
2. I. Martinez
3. Marquinhos
4. Thiago Silva

Ramos is impossible. But I wouldn't mind any of the others. Actually, I wouldn't mind Agger or even David Luiz. I just hope a cb is signed, and that Tito's obsession with T. Silva won't prevented a cb from coming.

Home of Barca Fans