Thiago Translantara

Birdy

Yea, which is why we should have gotten at least one.

I keep saying it. Fucking barto

Yup, Modric was more difficult as he was transferred in 2012 when we still had primish Xavi and Thiago behind. Although not undoable by a proper SD with projected plans on long term future

But Kroos in 2014 was unacceptable. Xavi was in his last season, and we went for Rakitic and snubbed an elite WC 8 for a decent but not of that level player

I am not even talking about Thiago. It was a crime to even play him so less in 12/13 and let his buyout clause get activated

jamrock

Yup, Modric was more difficult as he was transferred in 2012 when we still had primish Xavi and Thiago behind. Although not undoable by a proper SD with projected plans on long term future

But Kroos in 2014 was unacceptable. Xavi was in his last season, and we went for Rakitic and snubbed an elite WC 8 for a decent but not of that level player

I am not even talking about Thiago. It was a crime to even play him so less in 12/13 and let his buyout clause get activated

This who situation with Thiago was truly unforgivable, you see all potential he had and allowed the clause to active, that's one of the reasons I'm not a fan of Tito.

But to see him go to Bayern and you don't then immediately move for kroos, like WTF are we even doing.

We could have had 20 years of dominance if they were smart.

Birdy

This who situation with Thiago was truly unforgivable, you see all potential he had and allowed the clause to active, that's one of the reasons I'm not a fan of Tito.

But to see him go to Bayern and you don't then immediately move for kroos, like WTF are we even doing.

We could have had 20 years of dominance if they were smart.

Yup
And I am not even sure Tito knew about the clause.
It's the non-existent SD of the time that messed up. They should have requested for Thiago to play as much as necessary for the clause to not get activated

vegitot

He won 1 UCL with Bayern and injuried most of the time. Won just FA cup and energy drink cup with Liverpool, injuried a lot too. Completely shite for Spain NT (i don't think people even know he played for Spain).

It was still bad to let him go in 2013 though.

jamrock

He wasnt bad for Spain, he was just often injured and Luis Enrique did start him much, he also played Rodri at CB, so that tells you all you need to know

TheStig

No he didn't, Cesc's minutes would be more than enough but the club chose Cesc and then sell him also a year later. Perfect long term planning, just as today.

khaled_a_d

Thiago departure isn't that regrettable tbh, he was replaced eventually (along Cesc) with Rakitic who was healthy and helped us to get 4 Liga titles and 1 CL and fit the future coaches better than Thiago, who despite the talent was underwhelming a good portion of his career. Both in terms of injury and performance. And Rakitic was actually cheaper.
But it was a weird deal, with heavy rumours it was done to free the no11 jersey for Neymar (taking it from a La Masia prospect wasn't an option), and not playing him enough games to stop the release clause with bad management by the club, he could have easily got us 40M instead of 25 at the time.

vegitot

He wasnt bad for Spain, he was just often injured and Luis Enrique did start him much, he also played Rodri at CB, so that tells you all you need to know
Absolute ghost in 2018 World Cup. Benched by 18 years old Pedri in 2020 Euro.

Yes, nobody even remember that he played for Spain NT, tell you how bad he was for them.

Great at Spain U21 though.

Birdy

He won 1 UCL with Bayern and injuried most of the time. Won just FA cup and energy drink cup with Liverpool, injuried a lot too. Completely shite for Spain NT (i don't think people even know he played for Spain).

It was still bad to let him go in 2013 though.

What a load of BS.
Thiago was phenomenal at Bayern, and after a couple of seasons (from 2015) to 2020 that he left, he was considered standout midfielder in whole Bundesliga. Player of the season in 16/17 for the Bayern fans.

Yes, he had injury problems, but if you look at the data he stayed much more health at Bayern (bar his first 2 seasons) than at Liverpool (16/17 and 17/18 for instance he missed only 2 months combined).
It tends that we project the present into the past

Thiago departure isn't that regrettable tbh, he was replaced eventually (along Cesc) with Rakitic who was healthy and helped us to get 4 Liga titles and 1 CL and fit the future coaches better than Thiago, who despite the talent was underwhelming a good portion of his career. Both in terms of injury and performance. And Rakitic was actually cheaper.
But it was a weird deal, with heavy rumours it was done to free the no11 jersey for Neymar (taking it from a La Masia prospect wasn't an option), and not playing him enough games to stop the release clause with bad management by the club, he could have easily got us 40M instead of 25 at the time.

Rakitic wasn't the same style nor the same calibre player.
Mind you, Thiago was the natural successor of Xavi, and he could offer a world more than Rakitic in terms of dictating the tempo of the game, what was Xavi's most important trait

Rakitic helped, but in a completely different role, and made us more direct, which in retrospect was only useful for a couple of seasons, and we suffered a lot afterwards from inability to control games.

It's not that we didn't get enough money (which we should have gotten at least 50-60m in 2013 prices for him). It's that he should have NEVER left in the first place. The team needed him.
He demanded a starting spot, while Xavi was still in good shape. Barca couldn't promise him his arrogant request at that time.
Xavi was close to the end. Everybody and their mother knew that. The request was not arrogant.
And if Lucho was around instead of spineless yesman coaches, I am sure he would have found the compromise to keep both happy, knowing the one is heading gradually out and the other in.

What a load of BS.
Thiago was phenomenal at Bayern, and after a couple of seasons (from 2015) to 2020 that he left, he was considered standout midfielder in whole Bundesliga. Player of the season in 16/17 for the Bayern fans.

Yes, he had injury problems, but if you look at the data he stayed much more health at Bayern (bar his first 2 seasons) than at Liverpool (16/17 and 17/18 for instance he missed only 2 months combined).
It tends that we project the present into the past

Rakitic wasn't the same style nor the same calibre player.
Mind you, Thiago was the natural successor of Xavi, and he could offer a world more than Rakitic in terms of dictating the tempo of the game, what was Xavi's most important trait

Rakitic helped, but in a completely different role, and made us more direct, which in retrospect was only useful for a couple of seasons, and we suffered a lot afterwards from inability to control games.

It's not that we didn't get enough money (which we should have gotten at least 50-60m in 2013 prices for him). It's that he should have NEVER left in the first place. The team needed him.

Xavi was close to the end. Everybody and their mother knew that. The request was not arrogant.
And if Lucho was around instead of spineless yesman coaches, I am sure he would have found the compromise to keep both happy, knowing the one is heading gradually out and the other in.
Bayern had the chance to get him - and get him that cheap - because he did not have the required matches/minutes he should have had according to his contract. Somebody at Barca failed to notice that or did not care...

For us Bavarians he is mainly our legend as he spend the longest and best time with us. And he really left on good terms in 2020. And is sorrowly missed since then as we miss the type of player.

I actually prefer him to be an assistant coach to Hansi as I thought that he might take over a job at Xabi Alonso at the beginning. Somewhat it seems naturally that he will be a coach.

Loki

No he didn't, Cesc's minutes would be more than enough but the club chose Cesc and then sell him also a year later. Perfect long term planning, just as today.
He wasn't better than Cesc either at that time, not to mention that Cesc played a far more offensive role and even played some games as a striker.
Further, there is the performance principle. The better player plays. Thiago demanded minutes from players who deserved it more to play. It was arrogant and thankfully Barca didn't fulfill him his wish. He would have left either way going further, making maybe more demands. He never was rooted in Barcelona, there were never serious rumours about him wanting to return. There was absolutely nothing wrong with how the club treated the personality.

Last edited:

Home of Barca Fans