Thiago Translantara

Maria

Thiago is more of a CM than Cesc and when they aplayed together Thiago was the one that was controlling the game along with Busi.
And as far as I know he is playing as a CM for Spain U-21 also(with Canales or Isco being the AM)..so are Pep and Milla both wrong?

E

estranged

Sorry, but you're wrong. People tend to say he's an attacking midfielder / Iniesta type of player only because he has that Brazilian swagger and can dribble, beat his man and do some flashy tricks on the ball. His natural game is not AM though and he's more of a Xavi than Iniesta. Even his national team coach says so. And he should know best: http://www.totalbarca.com/2011/news/luis-millathiago-is-more-of-a-xavi-than-an-iniesta/

yea Thiago is not really like Iniesta, doesn't have Iniesta's footballing brain or vision (not saying he hasn't got vision, just not Iniesta vision) which sets Iniesta apart from every other player, he has Brazilian technique and flair so I guess that's where the Ineista comparisons come from. from what I've seen so far of him (mostly this season) he's not necessarily an AM, more of a CM IMO, the fact that he has insane technique doesn't mean he should be playing a more offensive position.
the kid is surely having some huge ego issues

fixed.

Aryagorn

Improvin' Perfection!!
yea Thiago is not really like Iniesta, doesn't have Iniesta's footballing brain or vision (not saying he hasn't got vision, just not Iniesta vision) which sets Iniesta apart from every other player, he has Brazilian technique and flair so I guess that's where the Ineista comparisons come from. from what I've seen so far of him (mostly this season) he's not necessarily an AM, more of a CM IMO, the fact that he has insane technique doesn't mean he should be playing a more offensive position.
Xavi's vision >>>>> Iniesta's vision

zanela

Sorry, but you're wrong. People tend to say he's an attacking midfielder / Iniesta type of player only because he has that Brazilian swagger and can dribble, beat his man and do some flashy tricks on the ball. His natural game is not AM though and he's more of a Xavi than Iniesta. Even his national team coach says so. And he should know best: http://www.totalbarca.com/2011/news/luis-millathiago-is-more-of-a-xavi-than-an-iniesta/

Luis Milla has his own agenda. He played Thiago as a CM even for U-19s, and continues to do so for the U-21s. That's more to do with lack of sufficient quality in the said position, ofc he'll say things that serves his interest.
I don't say he's an Attacking Midfielder cause of his dribbles and trickery only, but his directness, shooting, off-ball intelligence, and dynamism. Yes, his versatility means he's adept at horizontal play. But its his primary skill-sets that enables him to fill in the winger's role. You don't see central midfielders playing as WF. If you can't see that, i can't help you.
Jamrock, please correct me, but he played mostly as an AM in our youth-set up.

Aryagorn

Improvin' Perfection!!
Luis Milla has his own agenda. He played Thiago as a CM even for U-19s, and continues to do so for the U-21s. That's more to do with lack of sufficient quality in the said position, ofc he'll say things that serves his interest.
I don't say he's an Attacking Midfielder cause of his dribbles and trickery only, but his directness, shooting, off-ball intelligence, and dynamism. Yes, his versatility means he's adept at horizontal play. But its his primary skill-sets that enables him to fill in the winger's role. You don't see central midfielders playing as WF. If you can't see that, i can't help you.
Jamrock, please correct me, but he played mostly as an AM in our youth-set up.
we could say the same thing about him playing CM for our youth systems too... that there never was a sufficient quality at AM position in our youth level!?

jamrock

He is more of an attacking midfielder than a CM, though he really can play anywhere, but is natural position is future up the pitch, this is where he has played since is early days in the team and for spain up until U-19, why Milla has started to play him has a more xavi like player is anyone's guess, but for barca all the way up to barca B last season he was the furthest forward of all the midfielder.

Even during pre season and the first couple of games with the team this season, he played as more of an AM, and he has only really played in that type of position again in the milan game and how he did is their for everyone to see

lets put it this was their is a reason everyone was say he is the next deco all throughout his playing career, I suspect pep has been playing him in the CM role to give him a bit of structure and discipline, but with the arrival of cesc and the talents of Rafinha, I suspect that is where is long term future is, but certainly is natural position is that of an attacking midfielder.

I remember when he played a few games last season and one of which was with iniesta how poor he play and the team looked, because he was trying to play in the same space iniesta does, and I said back then, it should always be Xavi and Thiago and never Thiago and Iniesta, but since then his role has changed for the better and the worst IMO.

Trequartista

The good
Agree with barcelonista,Yugi,Estel and Maria
the way Thiago is stereotyped as attacking midfielder for his skill reminds me of the way every tall and black midfielder is stereotyped as the best DMF ever and the way every good passer is a central midfielder
I realised he is a central midfielder at the U-21 Euro and people just need to see this pre season when Thiago was godly when played with Iniesta/Keita and always looked isolated/lost when its not him starting the build up from deep AKA when partnered with Xavi,not saying in 2 years time he will still be a central midfielder but for now he is,
and as far as I know Thiago/Xavi is the worst combination we can form with our midfielders on paper and being proved on the pitch many times
Period.
would even rather Thiago with Keita/Iniesta/Cesc tbh

Trequartista

The good
He is more of an attacking midfielder than a CM, though he really can play anywhere, but is natural position is future up the pitch, this is where he has played since is early days in the team and for spain up until U-19, why Milla has started to play him has a more xavi like player is anyone's guess, but for barca all the way up to barca B last season he was the furthest forward of all the midfielder.

Even during pre season and the first couple of games with the team this season, he played as more of an AM, and he has only really played in that type of position again in the milan game and how he did is their for everyone to see

lets put it this was their is a reason everyone was say he is the next deco all throughout his playing career, I suspect pep has been playing him in the CM role to give him a bit of structure and discipline, but with the arrival of cesc and the talents of Rafinha, I suspect that is where is long term future is, but certainly is natural position is that of an attacking midfielder.

I remember when he played a few games last season and one of which was with iniesta how poor he play and the team looked, because he was trying to play in the same space iniesta does, and I said back then, it should always be Xavi and Thiago and never Thiago and Iniesta, but since then his role has changed for the better and the worst IMO.
really?Have you seen him in the pre season really?
in the bayern game he was partnered with Iniesta and it was one of his best performances out there
if the pre season proved something then it proved he is a CM not AMF and I dont know why some people think thats an insult,the dude is probably the only one who can replace Xavi

zanela

Well, the Jam has spoken. The authentic and reliable source of anything La Masia. I trust his assessment more. :)

jamrock

really?Have you seen him in the pre season really?
in the bayern game he was partnered with Iniesta and it was one of his best performances out there
if the pre season proved something then it proved he is a CM not AMF and I dont know why some people think thats an insult,the dude is probably the only one who can replace Xavi

yep, but you could see how he comes to life when he was in the attacking 3rd

he is not a pure Trequartista, say like a Ozil, he has always played between the lines.

its now insult its just for those of us who has monitored his progress and was not just introduced to him at the euro's, we know where he played and why people were raving about him and it wasn't because he was keeping the game flowing, I can't be bothered to find all the quotes of his coaches in the youth and even Luis, but he was no CM, until Milla played him there at U-19's

but players change and pep has seen it fit to turn him into a CM, I can see why because this really isn't another Xavi type midfielder coming through the ranks right now, they are all more AM's that CM's with Samper being the closest but he is more in the Pirlo mole, not as dynamic has the great man.

Though his natural instincts are more attacking, but he will be a better CM that the Multi Million dollar xavi replacement we bought over the summer.

Catalonian Devil

Shukran Pep
Just because Thiago plays better with Iniesta than Xavi doesn't mean he is more of a CM than an AM.
That's a rather simplistic and one-dimensional way to come to such a conclusion.

Also since when does Iniesta define all offensive midfielders? The fact that Thiago isn't Iniesta's mold has absolutely nothing to do with his offensive potential.

Thiago is his own mold.

I don't understand how anyone who has followed Thiago closely( not just the U-21s) cannot see this kid's tremendous offensive potential, there's no way that his full potential could be fulfilled from a withdrawn role in midfield.
Just because he has the maturity to dictate the pace of a game from a withdrawn midfield role doesn't mean that that's where he belongs. It's just another skill this incredibly talented kid possesses which makes him so versatile and useful. When Xavi said this kid can play anywhere on the pitch he meant it literally.

Also simply stating that he is being classified as an AM due to him being stereotyped is really baseless, mainly because dribbling is not even the main ability that makes him standout as an offensive threat.

I've seen enough of what he can do in the final third to be convinced that if this kid is given enough time to develop his game there, he would wreak havoc.
Having an incredible eye for goal at such a young age is a very rare quality, I mean even the Don despite his dominance in AM is very average when it comes to that category.
Thiago also has an excellent ability to deliver the killer pass, the kind of passes Messi executes. He demonstrated that ability in the first game of the La Liga season and in San Siro, mainly the two games where he was played the furthest up the pitch. Not to mention he possesses that essential burst in his initial step which is an important quality for attacking midfielders. He might be a 'fancy' dribbler, but dribbling is actually not even his best quality and is not really what makes him standout as a threat in the final third. His dribbling is rather 'raw' or rash, which is expected for a kid his age...

He could still play as a CM and turn out to be great, because that's just how brilliant and mature this kid is, but while the learning curve might be a tad steeper, I'm positive he is capable of much more damage playing closer to goal.

zanela

....but players change and pep has seen it fit to turn him into a CM, I can see why because this really isn't another Xavi type midfielder coming through the ranks right now, they are all more AM's that CM's with Samper being the closest but he is more in the Pirlo mole, not as dynamic has the great man.

It's really sad there isn't a Xavi-like player in our ranks. :( But, i'm hoping Iniesta takes up Xavi's reigns when the the latter retires. Besides, Casper at 30 can sit back and run our midfield. He's shown he can. Thiago then, can play the attacking midfielder role. And when Iniesta calls it a day, Samper who 'll be in his early twenties, can join Busi and Thiago in Midfield. :cool:

Having an incredible eye for goal at such a young age is a very rare quality, I mean even the Don despite his dominance in AM is very average when it comes to that category.
Thiago also has an excellent ability to deliver the killer pass, the kind of passes Messi executes. He demonstrated that ability in the first game of the La Liga season and in San Siro, mainly the two games where he was played the furthest up the pitch. Not to mention he possesses that essential burst in his initial step which is an important quality for attacking midfielders. He might be a 'fancy' dribbler, but dribbling is actually not even his best quality and is not really what makes him standout as a threat in the final third. His dribbling is rather 'raw' or rash, which is expected for a kid his age...

Nicely explained, CD. Especially Thiago being his own mold. He has a bit of everything, and displays a distinct offensive style. He's an attacking midfielder fo' sure.
To illustrate the above points you make. Here is a video covering his early youth demostrating his goal-scoring instinct, the tendency to take on players and laying off that defense-splitting killer pass, the burst in his initial step, dribbles, the energy and movement, etc..How can anyone honestly claim the player in the video (wearing #8 and #10 mostly) and his dynamism is indicative of that of a natural CM . :rolleyes:

Home of Barca Fans