Thiago Translantara

JamDav1982

Bartra was given plenty of minutes during his time at the club and Lucho clearly wanted a left footed option with experience in the league.

Mathieu is much more reliable at CB than you make out and has had some very good games againt the toughest opposition Barca have faced.

He is not as up and down nor is the support split on him the way you make out. He has been a great back up signing.

God Serena

I genuinely wonder where most of you guys were when Mathieu was active before his injury. Sumlit had a blog series dedicated just to shitting on him at one point :lol:

DonAK

President of FC Barcelona
I couldn't tell you exactly where he cost us, as I don't take detailed notes of every game. I couldn't tell you who scored our first goal against Leganes a couple of weeks ago, even. And yes stegen did cost us against Vigo, but at this point he's practically carrying the team to a potential league title. There's a difference between having one game where you fuck up and cost the team the game, and being nearly 50/50 on being a help or a hindrance. Okay, I get it, Lucho rightfully deserves a lot of blame for Mathieu's all over the chart performances, but LB is Mathieu's original position, and played a role in his signing, and even if these were not true, him not being a LB doesn't stop us from dropping points when he plays poorly there.

That's a strawman argument if I've ever seen one and one I've seen used even in defense of players like Song and Adriano.

You're making a comment based on nothing. If you're going to say he costs us games then you should point out examples of games where HE individually has done so.

Not more strawman than yours though. Adriano contributed well in his first years until he got broken over and over again and barely could run. The club's fault they didn't replace him when his time was over. Song was a different case altogether, cannot be compared to Mathieu who has actually contributed very positively to the team's treble run. Like his goal vs Celta and Real Madrid along with several key defensive performances.

He's obviously had a few dumb, unlucky own goals, but even Mascherano has those. Didn't cost us anything.

Mathieu's only fault is that he cost a bit too much(again, the club could have signed him for 10m the season before), that he took Bartra's place and performed far better than him and is a better CB than him, just look at Bartra in BvB, and is not a big name, but an experienced 30+ French ginger.

Last edited:

God Serena

You're making a comment based on nothing. If you're going to say he costs us games then you should point out examples of games where HE individually has done so.

Not more strawman than yours though. Adriano contributed well in his first years until he got broken over and over again and barely could run. The club's fault they didn't replace him when his time was over. Song was a different case altogether, cannot be compared to Mathieu who has actually contributed very positively to the team's treble run. Like his goal vs Celta and Real Madrid along with several key defensive performances.

He's obviously had a few dumb, unlucky own goals, but even Mascherano has those. Didn't cost us anything.

I'm not really in the mood to continue this until I can get home and do research I probably won't feel like doing, so I'll leave it here.

But on a completely unrelated note... What exactly is your signature, and how does it know I'm at UTA?

F

FlaFCB

If Bartra was shoehorned into the lineup as often as Mathieu we'd probably have a better CB on our hands than current Mathieu and one who is a lot younger as well but that's neither here nor there. Whether it's down to Lucho or not he was bought to be a replacement option at LB (I find it hard to believe he'd have been brought in at his age if he wasn't capable of filling both roles) and it's a role he failed us in num

We would not. Check Bartra with Bvb. He's been playing regularly, and honestly, no improvement. All his flaws are still there. Mathieu still is a better cb. And jeremy was brought to be a cb, not lb. As I said, delusions about Bartra are the primary fuel for hating Mathieu.

DonAK

President of FC Barcelona
I'm not really in the mood to continue this until I can get home and do research I probably won't feel like doing, so I'll leave it here.

But on a completely unrelated note... What exactly is your signature, and how does it know I'm at UTA?

It's a warning for everyone here. Don't piss me off or else......you know.

BarçaBarça

Why are you calling Gundogan a world class player? Yes, he's very good when healthy but I believe if you want to deserve a world class designation you should be able to stay on the field more than he did in the past.

I would have the same problem with Thiago a year ago but he's been able to stay healthy (at least no serious injuries) for most of the last 1,5 seasons so maybe he put his injury troubles behind him.

Maybe, it is a fine line, I think he proved himself before and after, but running into another long-term injury right now maybe proves that others should have been prioritized over him. For his fee I would give him a shot, although he needs to play more consistently. Could have said Kroos instead, I just think we missed out on Gundogan, because there is not many midfielders at that level as I see it.

Neymessi

Can't undertsand the sudden praise for mathieu. He was a bit decent in our treble season where he wasn't a starter yeah but I don't need to think twice to know he has had more bad games than good ones. Yeah a large majority of that would be him at LB which isn't his fault but overall he has so many bad games for us.

Wouldn't call him a flop or anything though, but considering his age at the time of signing we really should have signed a younger CB back then.

He has been at fault for a lot of matches unlike many posts claim here. I don't have the exact lists of those matches but I am pretty sure he fucked up a lot. Watching mathieu at LB in the lineups would be greeted with so many facepalms.

Still wouldn't call him a flop but also not a very good signing.

JamDav1982

Can't undertsand the sudden praise for mathieu. He was a bit decent in our treble season where he wasn't a starter yeah but I don't need to think twice to know he has had more bad games than good ones. Yeah a large majority of that would be him at LB which isn't his fault but overall he has so many bad games for us.

Wouldn't call him a flop or anything though, but considering his age at the time of signing we really should have signed a younger CB back then.

He has been at fault for a lot of matches unlike many posts claim here. I don't have the exact lists of those matches but I am pretty sure he fucked up a lot. Watching mathieu at LB in the lineups would be greeted with so many facepalms.

He has had more big games where he has been very good than games he made mistakes in.

Every single player has made mistakes and Mathieu has been a good back up overall without a doubt.

mark1nhu

Not true at all.

Horatio

You're welcome

I am a fan of Mathieu but there has been one instance where he had a great role in failing to secure a win.
I don't remember the opponent, but it was early into last year's season. We were 3-1 up, he got subbed in and made two mistakes that had us concede 2 goals. He played CB that game I think.

Other than that, can't think of games where he could be pointed out as responsible for failing to win a game.

F

FlaFCB

I am a fan of Mathieu but there has been one instance where he had a great role in failing to secure a win.
I don't remember the opponent, but it was early into last year's season. We were 3-1 up, he got subbed in and made two mistakes that had us concede 2 goals. He played CB that game I think.

Other than that, can't think of games where he could be pointed out as responsible for failing to win a game.

Vs Villarreal? That ended 2-2? That's the one I remember. I don't remember a 3-3. He got a red card on that one too. But he never should had been subbed at that point.

xXKonan

The home Deportivo match we were 2-0 up and Lucho subbed him on a LB and we conceded two goals after he was subbed on due to errors.

Home of Barca Fans