Transfers and Rumours - old thread

DennyCrane

Borussia Monchengladbach goalkeeper Marc-Andre ter Stegen (20) has signed a pre-deal with Barcelona. He'll join for 4 seasons. [marca tv]

Looks like it's an old rumor already. Definitely BS though.

Agreed.
"Pre-deal" rumours seem to be all the rage lately. This way, journalists can pull anything out of their ass with no proof whatsoever and call it "pre-deal". Also, Marca.

On that note, why is everyone so obsessed with ter Stegen now ? The guy is talented, yes, but he's also only 20 yo, he's a pro only for one and half years, doesn't speak spanish or catalan and has no noteworthy international experience. The guy is a huge gamble and it would be kinda irressponsible to make him no. 1 at this club with the worlds' expectations on his shoulders.

DennyCrane

Weren't there rumours on Alba & Cesc pre-deals months before they were signed too?

Yep, there were. And Alba always denied them.

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11833/7619730/Alba-denies-Barca-deal
http://fourfourtwo.com/news/spain/98042/default.aspx

But Alba was on Barcas' wishlist for quite a while (probably, since he left in the first place) and the Cesc-deal... well,everyone could saw it coming that the prodigal son would return. With ter Stegen, I see rumours only originating in strange tabloids.

khaled_a_d

Yep, there were. And Alba always denied them.

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11833/7619730/Alba-denies-Barca-deal
http://fourfourtwo.com/news/spain/98042/default.aspx

But Alba was on Barcas' wishlist for quite a while (probably, since he left in the first place) and the Cesc-deal... well,everyone could saw it coming that the prodigal son would return. With ter Stegen, I see rumours only originating in strange tabloids.

I must ,missed something ,but Alba rumors never started b4 beginning of last season ,and btw Ter Stegan was linked with Barca even b4 promoted to first team in his club too

FCBarca

Mike the Knife
Of course, Cesc rumours had persisted for years but pre-agreement deals have come up under Rosell. The Alba deal was rumoured (ONA FM) in March before the Euro and both his agent & the club denied it...yet he ended up at the club for nearly the rumoured pricetag.

Not saying the Ter Stegen one is true but that we have seen this happen at Barcelona under Rosell & Zubi...they move quietly but always get their targets...and usually for less than market value

DennyCrane

I must ,missed something , but Alba rumors never started b4 beginning of last season ,and btw Ter Stegan was linked with Barca even b4 promoted to first team in his club too

Which kinda speaks volumes about the credibility, no ? Also, who linked him to Barca then ? Sources ?

DennyCrane

Of course, Cesc rumours had persisted for years but pre-agreement deals have come up under Rosell. The Alba deal was rumoured (ONA FM) in March before the Euro and both his agent & the club denied it...yet he ended up at the club for nearly the rumoured pricetag.

Not saying the Ter Stegen one is true but that we have seen this happen at Barcelona under Rosell & Zubi...they move quietly but always get their targets...and usually for less than market value

You have a point. But I see Alba as a logical signing, and well, what a signing he turned out to be. I just don't see Barca signing a 20 yo keeper as no. 1 with no experience in La Liga/Champions League, no matter how talented the guy is, which he is.

Why don't we get someone like Pinto. An old experienced GK who is a starter for lower or mid table teams. Pinto worked very well for us. Actually Diego Lopez was the one i liked to replace Pinto but then he went back to RM. Maybe those reports saying that we are targeting Reina is true. Maybe not for Valdes but to replace Pinto.

To be honest, I wouldn't really mind if Reina comes back, as long as he is willing to sit on the bench and play the cup games and come for a cheap price.

Agreed. We should get someone like Pinto, someone who costs below 5m and is willing to sit on the bench. Reina could be good but he'd probably be too expensive for a Pinto replacement, and I'm not sure he'll be willing to sit on the bench.

FCBarca

Mike the Knife
I don't see it either Denny - too young, language barrier and no Liga experience...that's a trifecta the club is likely to avoid with a keeper...just that these deals can happen with this negotiating team

loozy

I could see it happening with Valdes staying on until 2014; however it looks as if he is on his way out during the summer so I'd prefer someone who has at least some CL- experience -> Leno who is/was actually ter-Stegen's only competitor in the youth systems of the DFB.

khaled_a_d

Which kinda speaks volumes about the credibility, no ? Also, who linked him to Barca then ? Sources ?

That was some time ago so I don't remember the sources ,I think we were scouting him for Barca B or Lamasia . since last season he has been consistently linked to our first team though

I don't see it either Denny - too young, language barrier and no Liga experience...that's a trifecta the club is likely to avoid with a keeper...just that these deals can happen with this negotiating team

Players learn new languages so fast that I don't think this should be huge concern for such a long term deal ,As for Liga & CL experience ,what are the alternatives? Average GK like Guaita ? or Reina? the only one that fit is De Gea and doubt SAF would let him go ,he won't make the same mistake he has done with Pique
May be Courtois ? would love to get him ,but there is a rumor just today that he isn't in our shortlist and that Chelsea might offer him in a deal for Falcao

Last edited:

FCBarca

Mike the Knife
Players learn new languages so fast that I don't think this should be huge concern for such a long term deal ,As for Liga & CL experience ,what are the alternatives? Average GK like Guaita ? or Reina? the only one that fit is De Gea and doubt SAF would let him go ,he won't make the same mistake he has done with Pique

History has shown foreign keepers, particularly with no Liga experience, struggle at the club...Rustu says hello

Language matters and at many clubs you can overcome that over time but not at the best team in the world where a starting keeper has to have great communication with his defense...I just don't see it as being a realistic consideration

khaled_a_d

History has shown foreign keepers, particularly with no Liga experience, struggle at the club...Rustu says hello

Language matters and at many clubs you can overcome that over time but not at the best team in the world where a starting keeper has to have great communication with his defense...I just don't see it as being a realistic consideration

1-every GK we brought between Zubi & VV has struggled big time ,and non has proven himself somewhere else , even Rustu ( other than WC 2002 performance ,and those was just 7 games) ,this speaks more about the team ability to select a GK back then
2-Look,do I want a GK ,who has good experience ,still in mid 20's and has a load of talent while speaking Spanish/Catalan ? sure ,but who? the key word in my post is the "alternatives"

Home of Barca Fans