Transfers and Rumours - old thread

JamDav1982

I dont think the big name defender that Barcelona need is going to be available this summer and I can see them waiting a year for Hummels now.

But in the mean time a CB needs to be signed, not even one that will be in the starting line up but someone that can come in as 3rd/4th choice.

Cruijffista

SOY ANTIMADRIDISTA
The club definitely needs a new defender. This is ridiculous. Puyol may return to fitness but for how long. Mascherano needs to be an emergency-only option @ CB, he's not good through the air and his positioning is always off.

This is frustrating. We make a fantastic signing in Neymar but it won't mean much if we can't defend in the back.

If not Luiz, then we should go for Mangala. Even the injury-prone Vermaelen would be an improvement over what we have but we can definitely do better than that. What about Hector Moreno? He's a solid defender and Espanyol will sell.

xxxxxx

Pique+Mascherano+Bartra+Puyol is actually enough depth imo, as long as we heavily rotate and have Tata really focus on our individual defenders perform. If Pique is back to his best and Puyol is rotated, I don't see that as being too big a problem.

Still, I want Ramos.

Except.... Bartra isn't good enough, Puyol gets injured far too much, Mascherano isn't really a CB and Pique hasn't played well for a while. We literally can't rely on a 35-year-old Puyol to pull us out of the crap anymore.

If Neymar is our only signing, which is looking likely, I don't expect to win the league or Champions League this league.

Jadentheman

Our club's reputation will always automatically inflate the price of a player especially when they know we're desperate for one

oz187

Normally when Puyol gets injured he comes back early. This time however he recovered after the season ended, so he's had some extra time to just recover and get to full fitness. He's had almost half a year off so hopefully he can have a better season.

DonAndres

Wild Man of Borneo
If we really don't buy a CB we could scrape by if we play:

Bagnack- relegation zone games
Bartra- lower to high mid table games
Masch- spread around playing time and some bigger games
Puyol- big games and occasional small games
Pique- most games, periodical rest

Switch it around a little and we'll have an acceptable amount of playing time and rest for each player, it won't be airtight but it'll have to do if we don't purchase to reinforce depth. I still think we really do need to get one, 99% of people do, but if we don't the rotation will look something like that.

sabby

How I wish Abidal was still here. He would be a great rotation CB and LB with his solid defense skill.

kollegah

here some news guy, quite interesting i think

-when barca officials made first contact with chelsea, the blues immediatly turned down (similiar psg - Thiago silva)
-this was more than 2 months ago, since then luiz ruled out
-from premier league, now since agger ruled out, koscielny is the only possible option, tata sceptical (no contact made)
-the rumour of barca not buying a cb is not true, a defender will be bought, most certainly it will be someone without a big name but high technical profile

JamDav1982

The club definitely needs a new defender. This is ridiculous. Puyol may return to fitness but for how long. Mascherano needs to be an emergency-only option @ CB, he's not good through the air and his positioning is always off.

This is frustrating. We make a fantastic signing in Neymar but it won't mean much if we can't defend in the back.

If not Luiz, then we should go for Mangala. Even the injury-prone Vermaelen would be an improvement over what we have but we can definitely do better than that. What about Hector Moreno? He's a solid defender and Espanyol will sell.

I still think Mathieu would have been a good signing, not the answer but an improvement.

Probably too late for that now though.

Maria

If Barca went for Campagnaro his price would rise. The simple fact that Barca in interested in a player gives him a 'name'.

How is it that the other big clubs still can buy a CB then? At this point one would think that all the other clubs are conspiring to stop Barca from buying a CB. I don't want to imagine what will happend next year when a GK will be needed.

Normally when Puyol gets injured he comes back early. This time however he recovered after the season ended, so he's had some extra time to just recover and get to full fitness.

The same as last year actually..and last year, after he supposedly returned to full fitness in August, he injured himself again in the friendly against PSG and played liked that until Barca-Milan, when he decided to get a surgery. After that the doctors told us that he will return in time for the 2nd leg of Bayern-Barca, but June came and Puyol still wasn't completelly recovered. Then on 19 June he got another surgery, at which point we were told this:

"Finaliza la operación a Carles Puyol
El central ha sido operado este miércoles en la Dexeus de Barcelona por el doctor Pruna y el doctor Monllau.
Pruna calcula la recuperación en 3-4 semanas.
"
Seven weeks have already past and we find out that he might return after 15 September. Making a planification of the next season and not only taking Puyol into account, but also thinking at him like our 3rd CB would be an irresponsability at this point.

Last edited:

Home of Barca Fans