Transfers and Rumours - old thread

Mathieu is good, I don't think you have seen him play even once yet you have this predetermined image that he isn't good enough to play in our defense. It's as if anyone who's name isn't Thiago Silva is a scrub who can't handle defending a counterattack while being covered by other defenders.

If he's not good enough to start over a 35 year old Puyol, then he's not what we need, as far as I'm concerned.

Again, we need a starter, not a 3rd/4th choice.

DonAndres

Wild Man of Borneo
If he's not good enough to start over a 35 year old Puyol, then he's not what we need, as far as I'm concerned.

Again, we need a starter, not a 3rd/4th choice.

He's good enough to be consistently playing over Puyol. However in big games Puyol is the obvious choice because he provides leadership and defensive organization. You have some misguided view of what our issue is and what we need, not to mention the fact that you don't know about Mathieu in general.

He's good enough to be consistently playing over Puyol. However in big games Puyol is the obvious choice because he provides leadership and defensive organization. You have some misguided view of what our issue is and what we need, not to mention the fact that you don't know about Mathieu in general.

Puyol is 35 now, he's nowhere near as good as he used to be. We can't rely on him for big games, especially considering his (and Pique's) lack of pace and our high line. And if Mathieu isn't good enough to start over Puyol in the big games, he's not what we need, as I said before.

Of course, our pressing will alleviate the problem, but a defense of Pique/35 year old Puyol still isn't good enough. We will get exposed less than we were last season, but when we do get exposed, we're going to have problems unless we get a starter to play over Puyol in the big games.

So yes, we do need a starter. I don't see how that view is "misguided."

Last edited:

DonAndres

Wild Man of Borneo
Puyol is 35 now, he's nowhere near as good as he used to be. We can't rely on him for big games, especially considering his (and Pique's) lack of pace and our high line. And if Mathieu isn't good enough to start over Puyol in the big games, he's not what we need, as I said before.

Of course, our pressing will alleviate the problem, but a defense of Pique/35 year old Puyol still isn't good enough. We will get exposed less than we were last season, but when we do get exposed, we're going to have problems unless we get a starter to play over Puyol in the big games.

So yes, we do need a starter. I don't see how that view is "misguided."

We're always better defensively with Puyol, his age affects how much he can play not how well. As for the lack of pace, that's not the only thing we need in a defender. Who else would you get, Luiz? I'd rather have a slow and smart defender than a fast and stupid one. Having a "world class" starting defender in the lineup instead of Puyol will change very little, positively or negatively. Trying to buy a world class CB is almost definitely not a good choice right now, absolutely knee-jerk and brainless, and would be of no use whereas a regular rotating player is something that actually provides solidity to our options.

Less exposure in defense means overall, it's not like every time we do end up getting exposed it will be a 3v2 breakaway. The pressing not only stops them from creating chances, but it makes the chances that they do create less open and less deadly. Now if you want to keep nitpicking past that and name random wild scenarios, then I don't know what to tell you. Our fullbacks will be there defending when we get exposed, making the space less open, making the likes of Puyol, Pique, and Mascherano not look like fools. Any chance they get is a regular chance, if they do end up getting an unbelievably easy and open chance then even Thiago Silva wouldn't be able to stop them from scoring. We will concede from counterattacks, period. Pressing and an organized defensive system minimizes that as much as possible, our defenders ARE good enough to handle the rest within reasonable ability, but short of getting rocket boots there is nothing more any CB can do and your demands really seem misguided and unreasonable.

JamDav1982

We're always better defensively with Puyol, his age affects how much he can play not how well. As for the lack of pace, that's not the only thing we need in a defender. Who else would you get, Luiz? I'd rather have a slow and smart defender than a fast and stupid one. Having a "world class" starting defender in the lineup instead of Puyol will change very little, positively or negatively. Trying to buy a world class CB is almost definitely not a good choice right now, absolutely knee-jerk and brainless, and would be of no use whereas a regular rotating player is something that actually provides solidity to our options.

Less exposure in defense means overall, it's not like every time we do end up getting exposed it will be a 3v2 breakaway. The pressing not only stops them from creating chances, but it makes the chances that they do create less open and less deadly. Now if you want to keep nitpicking past that and name random wild scenarios, then I don't know what to tell you. Our fullbacks will be there defending when we get exposed, making the space less open, making the likes of Puyol, Pique, and Mascherano not look like fools. Any chance they get is a regular chance, if they do end up getting an unbelievably easy and open chance then even Thiago Silva wouldn't be able to stop them from scoring. We will concede from counterattacks, period. Pressing and an organized defensive system minimizes that as much as possible, our defenders ARE good enough to handle the rest within reasonable ability, but short of getting rocket boots there is nothing more any CB can do and your demands really seem misguided and unreasonable.

Not sure about always looking better with Puyol anymore perhaps the worst defence looked against Madrid was the 3-1 home defeat that he played in and was not that great.

DonAndres

Wild Man of Borneo
Not sure about always looking better with Puyol anymore perhaps the worst defence looked against Madrid was the 3-1 home defeat that he played in and was not that great.

That game was definitely horrible for Puyol, but we do generally look more organized with him. I'd still want him to play in big games, but we'll have to see whether he deteriorates even further this season. Even then, Mascherano/Mathieu can handle the job decently. There aren't that many other options for a transfer. Koscielny/Vertonghen are definitely not going to come, Silva/Luiz would just be irrational to spend that much on, and Mathieu has the qualities to function at Barca.

Doobs

The Messiah
There's been zero news about a transfer this weekend. Tata saying he counts on Puyol said it all really. It's going to be a nerve wracking season. I still think we'll concede fewer goals than last season though.

Zincubus

Banned
Just wondering if anyone is missing off this list ?

@barcastuff:

OUT: Fontas (Celta) Muniesa (Stoke) Bojan (Ajax*) Abidal (Monaco) Villa (Atletico) Deulofeu (Everton*) Thiago (Bayern) Rafinha (Celta*)

F

Flavia

Just wondering if anyone is missing off this list ?

@barcastuff:

OUT: Fontas (Celta) Muniesa (Stoke) Bojan (Ajax*) Abidal (Monaco) Villa (Atletico) Deulofeu (Everton*) Thiago (Bayern) Rafinha (Celta*)
No, I think it's complete.
Unless you're missing Afellay and Cuenca, but their future is not decided yet

Zincubus

Banned
There's been zero news about a transfer this weekend. Tata saying he counts on Puyol said it all really. It's going to be a nerve wracking season. I still think we'll concede fewer goals than last season though.

With all the friendly internationals the general consensus is that there will hardly any deals done in the 7 days apparently .

Zincubus

Banned
No, I think it's complete.
Unless you're missing Afellay and Cuenca, but their future is not decided yet

Yeah , those are the two I was thinking about .

There's a few teams sniffing around some of he other players ....Mascherano / Sanchez and Cesc , of course .

As regarding the loan players , I never thought I'd be looking forward to watching Everton or Stoke games :)

Last edited:

Home of Barca Fans