Transfers and Rumours - old thread

Meitux

Its more about the fact that if we get exposed, our current defence is worrying. Sure, pressing is the best thing especially for a defence like ours but it doesn't guarantee that our opponets won't create chances. And there is where the problem exists, even one moment can do the damage if you don't have a secure defence.

In the Pep era we defended well mostly because of the pressing system. If the works perfectly it doesn't matter who the defence is. We beat Arsenal 4-1 without Pique and Puyol. We won the CL final with Yaya at cb and Sylvinho at lb.

Defending is more about the team shape and everyone kong how to work in the system than individual talents. Obviously we want a world class cb if available to replace Puyol, but if none are available then get a stop gap for the mean time, our defence will improve under Tata even if we get nobody because he is improving our defence tactically.

The games last year we didn't press well. That's why we conceded so many.

In the Pep era, our starting CB duo was Pique/Puyol, both of whom were world-class then, unlike now. The pressing helped greatly, especially when they were missing, but we had a great CB duo. In Pep's last year, the pressing was still there (it wasn't as good as it was in his first 3 years, but it wasn't completely absent unlike last season), but it became clear that our current CBs aren't good enough, with Pique's drop in form, Puyol's aging, and Masch not being a real CB. Perfect example: Chelsea. We pressed well but still lost due to an error from Masch.

Its more about the fact that if we get exposed, our current defence is worrying. Sure, pressing is the best thing especially for a defence like ours but it doesn't guarantee that our opponets won't create chances. And there is where the problem exists, even one moment can do the damage if you don't have a secure defence.

This. Pressing helps greatly, and IMO, bringing it back was even more important than getting a new CB. It will ease the pressure on the defense, but the fact remains that our CBs aren't good enough.

Last edited:

Hamzah

High Definition Member
The nature of how we play means we will concede from counters, it's inevitable. Even with Piqué at his best and a fit Puyol we still conceded goals. If the system fails for a split second and you're exposed to a three vs two counter, it doesn't matter who's in defence you're likely to concede. Our style of playing has its risks and this is the main one.

Obviously they didn't concede nearly as much as they do now though. The main reason is the system not working and our players not pressing properly that's what I'm trying to say. Of course if a world class cb is available then buy him because we need a Puyol type player in the future, but if nobody is available we can get a stop gap and if we sort out our tactics we will have a better defence than last season at least.

jairzinho

I think it's safe to say at this stage that the signing of a new CB is definitely unlikely especially with all the major European leagues starting by this weekend. Unless of course , we sign a player from South America, I don't see any major European teams selling us a player without the ability to sign a replacement themselves.

Meitux

Bagnack is our new CB.
No,he isn't ready for it yet. The point of signing a CB was to get someone experienced judging from our problems. Bagnack has long way yet, he only can provide rotation for some games. But you think of him as we will use him right now like regular, but that really isn't the case..

Doobs

The Messiah
No,he isn't ready for it yet. The point of signing a CB was to get someone experienced judging from our problems. Bagnack has long way yet, he only can provide rotation for some games. But you think of him as we will use him right now like regular, but that really isn't the case..

He'll be rotated and thereby reduce the pressure on Masch and Pique, who'll be the starting CB's.

We're screwed either way.

Bertus

Read somewhere that Sakho could be leaving PSG. Opportunity for Barca?

It's not a Rumor. I posted that last night, check the previous pages.

He's leaving, yes. But you should not approach him at all.

He's bad, and the reasons for whom he leaves PSG makes him even more crappy.

He wants to be in a team where he doesn't have to compete with other CBs for a starter place.

So, he's a bad CB, and refuses to train and improve to get better than other CBs in the team.

You all complain about Mathieu, but you can't imagine how he's better and more Professional than this piece of sh** that sakho is.

Galning

Sakho is all hype and no ability. I looked into him because he was such a beast at FM so I watched a few games of PSG a few seasons back and his passing is dreadful. If he wasn't a physical powerhouse he wouldn't even make the PSG squad.

Bertus

Sakho is all hype and no ability. I looked into him because he was such a beast at FM so I watched a few games of PSG a few seasons back and his passing is dreadful. If he wasn't a physical powerhouse he wouldn't even make the PSG squad.

Actually, since he became a powerhouse, he lost the few skills he had, has lost his jumping ability, and became a lot, lot slower.

If you read french psg forums, you'll always see people complaining that he turned awful when he took 10kg of muscles.

When he was not as muscular, he was quite fast and better in the air.

That's why people now say that Marquinhos should stay the way he is if he feels good about his current ability. Marqui is not that muscular/massive but is strong in the air, very fast and precise in his passes.

Galning

I never saw him play before so I wouldn't know. But I've heard similar stories from Lukaku who said he simply gained too much muscles in a certain period of time and he had to reduce his work in the gym.

Antimadridista1

What do you guys think about Ezequiel Garay ?? Pisted by ManU and Benfica want 25m euro for him... He knows Leo and Javier from the national team and Tata probably likes him.
I only saw three matches of him (one against us, against Chelsea and Porto) and he looks solid.

Home of Barca Fans