Transfers and Rumours - old thread

khaled_a_d

4th choice? He'd likely be around the same priority as Masch and definitely adds more than him (positioning and aerial ability)... Once again the job of a CB in defense is overstated right now, as if everything having to do with defense is all about CB's.

Our defenders are good enough to do the job, but last season they saw too much of it. Any CB would look bad playing in a high line with no protection from midfield or even the fullbacks, having to cover acres of space all on their own (that's how hard it was for them last season). Other teams' CB's look much better individually because they sit deep covered by a midfield and attack that compress and make the process of cutting out attacks very simple. That was the difference in collective defensive tactics between other teams and Barca last season. Playing a high line is obviously risky, but the way we did it last season made it look suicidal. This season with a majority of our problems being solved, our defenders will guaranteed look much better individually and might even pop up on a few "best of the season" lists due to the more assured nature of their playing because the job will be easier.

Assuming you are correct about that (which I don't agree with btw) ,what makes you think the pressing will be better ? Xavi /Iniesta/Alves/Adriano are all one year older ,at this point this will probably cause them to make more fatigued by March
Our pressing have been gr8 against teams that most of don't know the name of a single player .we have not been really tested yet ,and the most important part is to maintain the press through the whole season
We need a starting CB ,a world class one ,or else we are taking a huge gamble

DonAndres

Wild Man of Borneo
Assuming you are correct about that (which I don't agree with btw) ,what makes you think the pressing will be better ? Xavi /Iniesta/Alves/Adriano are all one year older ,at this point this will probably cause them to make more fatigued by March
Our pressing have been gr8 against teams that most of don't know the name of a single player .we have not been really tested yet ,and the most important part is to maintain the press through the whole season
We need a starting CB ,a world class one ,or else we are taking a huge gamble

Our players will gain fitness under Tata's physical training for one, and you forgot that Cesc/Roberto/etc. will be playing a lot more instead of allowing our older players to get fatigued. Our pressing hasn't been tested yet but the counterpart to it is that we are barely even at 70% of our levels right now with all the injuries and lack of stamina. It'll be present for most of the season, it might die down in 2nd half league games, sacrificed to press harder in the CL knockout stages, but that's pretty understandable.

I don't get this whole "world class or bust" idea as if anything below that is unacceptable and shit defending. Individual defenders are important when we get exposed, but we won't get exposed as often as last season and despite the fact that we haven't played big teams to know that'd be true, the qualities are there for it to be. It's not like Mathieu cracks under pressure and makes terrible errors at the moment someone tests him, he's capable of handling defensive duties and he's very efficient at cutting out space, overall not error prone at all. Is there a 40m+ only transfer policy at Barca? Why is it that fans only feel safe if they are protected by a mega-money CB instead of a less famous one. The nature of our game makes us concede, but if we play our defensive system right, then our individual defenders would look great in that role again. Pique and Puyol didn't just go from the world's best defenders to utter shit just like that, an unflattering defensive system accounts for a large portion of that decline. As Hamzah said before, there is no difference any other "world class" CB would make in a fast paced 3v2 counterattack with no cover.

The whole notion of world class is based off of seeing them for other teams and comparing them with ours last season, but the fact is that even the most world class of defenders have flaws. Dante looks less assured this season so far under Pep's high line, Kompany was unspectacular last season with Mancini's constant experimenting, etc. The more they get exposed, the more their flaws are apparent, and the worse they look. That's why our defenders look like such idiots compared to them currently. I'm not saying that Pique or Mascherano would do just as well as those guys, but they wouldn't look nearly as bad as they do now.

Jadentheman

There will be plenty of rotation for sure because it's a world cup year. Most of the starting eleven will be rested during pointless matches.

lovebarca

does anybody know what is bale situation?I mean clearly he wants to transfer to RM but levy(who is great negotiator) want more money that i know......
but what i cant understand is why spurs are not agreeing for 100m move because i mean they need to reinvest also those money and most of leagues are starting this week then who will they buy.?
Are they want again situation like barbatov?that season they clearly got fucked up due to last day move.....

Last edited:

Co0ter

Our players will gain fitness under Tata's physical training for one, and you forgot that Cesc/Roberto/etc. will be playing a lot more instead of allowing our older players to get fatigued. Our pressing hasn't been tested yet but the counterpart to it is that we are barely even at 70% of our levels right now with all the injuries and lack of stamina. It'll be present for most of the season, it might die down in 2nd half league games, sacrificed to press harder in the CL knockout stages, but that's pretty understandable.

I don't get this whole "world class or bust" idea as if anything below that is unacceptable and shit defending. Individual defenders are important when we get exposed, but we won't get exposed as often as last season and despite the fact that we haven't played big teams to know that'd be true, the qualities are there for it to be. It's not like Mathieu cracks under pressure and makes terrible errors at the moment someone tests him, he's capable of handling defensive duties and he's very efficient at cutting out space, overall not error prone at all. Is there a 40m+ only transfer policy at Barca? Why is it that fans only feel safe if they are protected by a mega-money CB instead of a less famous one. The nature of our game makes us concede, but if we play our defensive system right, then our individual defenders would look great in that role again. Pique and Puyol didn't just go from the world's best defenders to utter shit just like that, an unflattering defensive system accounts for a large portion of that decline. As Hamzah said before, there is no difference any other "world class" CB would make in a fast paced 3v2 counterattack with no cover.

The whole notion of world class is based off of seeing them for other teams and comparing them with ours last season, but the fact is that even the most world class of defenders have flaws. Dante looks less assured this season so far under Pep's high line, Kompany was unspectacular last season with Mancini's constant experimenting, etc. The more they get exposed, the more their flaws are apparent, and the worse they look. That's why our defenders look like such idiots compared to them currently. I'm not saying that Pique or Mascherano would do just as well as those guys, but they wouldn't look nearly as bad as they do now.

I don't know man. I agree a bit more pressing would be influential, but it wouldn't be deciding. Xavi is still going to start the big games, and he's getting older and slower and is pressing less and less. Our winger still press hard; Busquets playing too far upfront is a different story.

To me, our main problem is the fact that playing two offensive wingbacks along with a makeshift CB pairing is just asking for it. We can press all we want, but if we play Bayern again do you think our defense will cut it? We'd get exposed in the past at times but our defense dealt with it much better. Now, every single counter attack or mistake in midfield/defense looks like a crisis- it's just so painful to watch.

When we first bought Neymar, I thought to myself "yes, perfect. if we can sign a defensive fullback and solid CB then we'll be in great shape". We did neither. Alves + Alba is suicide, Alba is the future and a defensive RB should have been brought in. Just frustrating.

Edit: Look at how Malaysia scored, Alves was caught too far upfront and it led to a mistake by Alba leading to a goal. It was an odd goal, but the defense is never going to be solid when you have two fullbacks thinking attack first, defense second.

Last edited:

DonAndres

Wild Man of Borneo
I don't know man. I agree a bit more pressing would be influential, but it wouldn't be deciding. Xavi is still going to start the big games, and he's getting older and slower and is pressing less and less. Our winger still press hard; Busquets playing too far upfront is a different story.

To me, our main problem is the fact that playing two offensive wingbacks along with a makeshift CB pairing is just asking for it. We can press all we want, but if we play Bayern again do you think our defensive will cut it? We'd get exposed in the past at times but our defense dealt with it much better. Now, every single counter attack or mistake in midfield/defense looks like a crisis- it's just so painful to watch.

When we first bought Neymar, I thought to myself "yes, perfect. if we can sign a defensive fullback and solid CB then we'll be in great shape". We did neither. Alves + Alba is suicide, Alba is the future and a defensive RB should have been brought in. Just frustrating.

-Our pressing isn't just endless blitz running ala Dortmund, it's systematic and designed to close down space, our players don't sprint around for the entire 90 minutes, they do shuffle around constantly to make it much more difficult for them to find a way through, whereas last season we just opened up paths for them to walk through our defense as if it was nothing. This means that while it is somewhat difficult for our older guys like Xavi, it isn't impossible and won't tire them out as much as everyone is thinking.

-Our fullbacks under Tata are now much more disciplined. Even Alba+Alves will work better, because both of them remain in reserved positions and bomb up at the right times instead of lingering up there while leaving our defense to be only the CB's. They are now primarily defenders and can attack even better, giving us more cover. Not to mention the fact that Montoya (a defensive RB) will be playing a hell of a lot more this season.

-All of this makes it much easier for our CB's to cover the space and not be overwhelmed, making them look much better. Pressing doesn't eliminate all attacks just like that, but it makes it so much harder for them to get through and gives an easy job for CB's to just clean up any stray attacks that break through. This means that we don't have to solely rely on one monster defender like T. Silva to have a solid defense, a solid and reliable guy like Mathieu can work just fine. He's tall, quick, strong, versatile, has good positioning, and adds to our defensive depth greatly. He's certainly better than Mascherano and makes less errors, honestly considering how late we've started to pursue a transfer, this is a very good signing.

-He's not meant to be long term or a leader of any sort. We still have Puyol for big games and that's the role he still holds. We need much more time to pursue or develop a young, world class CB who can be a leading figure in our defense. If Tata continues to develop him, my bet is that it could very well be Bagnack. Give him 2-3 years with this much attention and he'll start taking on a big role, around the same time Mathieu and Puyol are gone. If not Bagnack then there certainly still are other options in terms of transfers or the cantera, but the point is that we have options and we have patience for such a move, not a last minute hasty and unnecessary signing.

raskolnikov

To me, our main problem is the fact that playing two offensive wingbacks along with a makeshift CB pairing is just asking for it. We can press all we want, but if we play Bayern again do you think our defense will cut it? We'd get exposed in the past at times but our defense dealt with it much better. Now, every single counter attack or mistake in midfield/defense looks like a crisis- it's just so painful to watch.

Edit: Look at how Malaysia scored, Alves was caught too far upfront and it led to a mistake by Alba leading to a goal. It was an odd goal, but the defense is never going to be solid when you have two fullbacks thinking attack first, defense second.
Montoya can be that future defensive rb with Alba at lb right?
We really need a quality cb, thats 90% of the problem solved along with bringing the pressing back.

P

PhilS

Look at how Malaysia scored, Alves was caught too far upfront and it led to a mistake by Alba leading to a goal. It was an odd goal, but the defense is never going to be solid when you have two fullbacks thinking attack first, defense second.

And where was the DM? No single acquisition is going to prevent these counters, and it might not be possible for any coach to stop this team from putting almost everyone into the attack. And even if a huge CB joins the rotation, this will still be the smallest team in the world. The opponents are going to score off of corners.

But Tata might be able to improve the defense just a bit. He is dedicated to high pressing, which not only takes some pressure off the defense but leads to easy scores.

More likely is a significantly improved offense. Neymar alone is a huge step up. Based on what we have seen so far, we can expect offensive improvement from Cesc, Alexis, Pedro, Sergi R, Dongou and Pique. No, this team is not set up to shut out the likes of Bayern Munich or RM. It's set up to outscore them.

Co0ter

Montoya seemed to play well at times last year but the end of the season and so far this preseason he hasn't looked too hot. I've mentioned turning him into a strictly defensive RB in the past but there is no gaurentee when
or if thats going to happen.

We'll be exposed far less often with the pressing back, but we will still get exposed from time to time. And when we do, I'd rather have a world class CB at the back than Masch, Mathieu or a 35 year old Puyol (and it'll probably be one of the first 2 since Puyol's always injured). Or at least someone better than those 3.

Last edited:

DonAndres

Wild Man of Borneo
The pressing will make us get exposed less often, but we will still get exposed from time to time. And when we do, I'd rather have a world class CB at the back than Masch, Mathieu or a 35 year old Puyol (and it'll probably be one of the first 2 since Puyol's always injured). Or at least someone better than those 3.

Mathieu is good, I don't think you have seen him play even once yet you have this predetermined image that he isn't good enough to play in our defense. It's as if anyone who's name isn't Thiago Silva is a scrub who can't handle defending a counterattack while being covered by other defenders.

Home of Barca Fans