Vinícius Júnior

ajnotkeith

Seems like the Saud are actually going to test Madrid resolve over Vini.

200m/year NET for Vini has him interested in moving.

Madrid have quoted his BO (1B) but seems Saud will make an official bid of around 300m.

Surely they don't turn that down considering.
Honestly I think Madrid will be seriously considering it if it gets any higher. On one hand, elite wingers who stay fit are incredibly hard to find and Madrid might well think that no amount of money is worth it, but at the same time, having that healthy of financials means they can go for any player in the world.

Also, just because he goes doesn't rule out him coming back sometime soon. It might well be that they have an under the table agreement or a promise that when Vinicius is done in Saudi he'll return to Madrid, in this hypothetical scenario. Saudi for paying that money will want at least 3 year contract and probably more, however.

He goes, makes a ton of money for a few years, then returns to Madrid later. I can see it from his perspective and with that kind of money you can become one of the most powerful people in the world and make so much difference (or just enjoy a filthy rich lifestyle).

ajnotkeith

Has to be bollocks. Surely this transfer of power won't happen? Arguably the best player in the world going to fucking Saudi aged 24.

What's the source?

Also, Saudi obviously isn't a good place for black people at all. Though it's different when they are 'superstars and celebrities'. Housed in gated communities most likely.
I can see it from his perspective. He's young and his career at the top wouldn't be over if he went for 2 or 3 years. He'd still be able to come back in good physical shape and likely still be one of the best wingers in the world. Also he'll utterly trash that league and it would be funny to see. It might be fun to have 70 g/a a season in Saudi or something.

For him, he's going, making like 600 or 700 million euros for a few years of work, then potentially coming back to continue to win top accolades if he wants to. For the ultra professional and dedicated athletes, they wouldn't consider the option as they only want greatness, but someone who is a little more relaxed about their career, can 100% see them considering even if they're as good as Vini.

Maradona37

I can see it from his perspective. He's young and his career at the top wouldn't be over if he went for 2 or 3 years. He'd still be able to come back in good physical shape and likely still be one of the best wingers in the world. Also he'll utterly trash that league and it would be funny to see.

For him, he's going, making like 600 or 700 million euros for a few years of work, then potentially coming back to continue to win top accolades if he wants to. For the ultra professional and dedicated athletes, they wouldn't consider the option as they only want greatness, but someone who is a little more relaxed about their career, can 100% see them considering even if they're as good as Vini.
Yeah true, I agree, guys who wanna set themselves and their future generations up would take it.

It is a big temptation for the likes of him. Maybe the money means more to him than winning trophies and medals in Europe. And like you say he could come back aged 27 or so.

ajnotkeith

Madrid would be daft to turn down 300m for him.

Particularly when have Mbappe.

Would not be good news for Barca if that happened.
My guess is they will try to hold out as long as possible to push Saudi up but if Vini wants to go they'll eventually accept towards the end of the window.

Birdy

I can see it from his perspective. He's young and his career at the top wouldn't be over if he went for 2 or 3 years. He'd still be able to come back in good physical shape and likely still be one of the best wingers in the world. Also he'll utterly trash that league and it would be funny to see. It might be fun to have 70 g/a a season in Saudi or something.

The part of coming back might be also an element is such kind of thinking, but I doubt it will work

This is a kinda superficial way of thinking.
Player's careers are based on constant growing, both physical and in terms of skills, but ALSO in terms of understanding the game/tactical aspect. Especially this last bit is very demanding and requires constant indoctrination by the best coaches and a competitive environment to let it develop properly

If you go to Saudi Pro at 24 or 25, that part of your game is not yet fully developped, and 'taking a break' at that point by playing for 3 years in a non-competitive environment w/o a top indoctrination into the concepts, means that such ability will remain for ever undeveloped.
Then you simply can't 'continue from where you left off' 3 years ago, cauz it doesn't work like that

PS: I am not even commenting on the opportunistic character of such moves that shows lack of ambition.

Maradona37

The part of coming back might be also an element is such kind of thinking, but I doubt it will work

Player's careers are based on constant growing, both physical and in terms of skills, but ALSO in terms of understanding the game/tactical aspect. Especially this last bit is very demanding and requires constant indoctrination by the best coaches and a competitive environment to let it develop properly

If you go to Saudi Pro at 24 or 25, that part of your game is not yet fully developped, and 'taking a break' at that point by playing for 3 years in a non-competitive environment w/o a top indoctrination into the concepts, means that such ability will remain for ever undeveloped.
Then you simply can't 'continue from where you left off' 3 years ago, cauz it doesn't work like that

PS: I am not even commenting on the opportunistic character of such moves that shows lack of ambition.
Fair point that about starting up where you left off.

and the lack of ambition and money grabbing in the ps

ajnotkeith

I agree that having rhythm in your development is ideal but I would also add that the importance of that decreases depending on your talent.

For a player like Vinicius who is so talented he will be able to quickly pick up rhythm and tempo of top level play when he returns and any concepts he would have missed. It will take some time but for players with that much talent they can learn quickly and they also can afford to have some dips in form or in work ethic temporarily.

Maradona37

I agree that having rhythm in your development is ideal but I would also add that the importance of that decreases depending on your talent.

For a player like Vinicius who is so talented he will be able to quickly pick up rhythm and tempo of top level play when he returns and any concepts he would have missed. It will take some time but for players with that much talent they can learn quickly and they also can afford to have some dips in form or in work ethic temporarily.
Yeah that is an excellent point too I think.

Smart, technical players can get away with more due to their natural gifts. It would be far from ideal, but he'd obviously lose far less of a step from three years away from Europe than Ferran Torres, for example.

Birdy

I would not agree with that
Talented can be qualified in different senses.

If we were talking about players that play a lot with their mind, like Xavi Modric etc., then yes that would have been right and the break in their development could have been covered up

But in the case of a player like Vinicius, whose talent consists in dribbling scoring and being pacey, I don't think he would be able by himself to cover up for 3 years lost in his intellectual/tactical development, with his primary qualities being the same

Horatio

You're welcome
He’s talented yes, but not as talented as some would think. He has shortcomings that Ancelotti masks very cleverly. He can’t for example score from shooting at far post.
That’s why 4-4-2 also suits him as it allows him to attack the goal from less wide. Usually when dribbles inside area from wing aims to win penalty or pass it(his decision making has improved!) Or when playing wide is instructed to give mid high cross into box. Also poor at heading no? How is his cross now? Can he take freekicks?

Few seasons ago was a meme and benzema asked players not to pass to him.

Has been improving steadily though, and seems he has head on straight, he seems humble in that he is focused and works hard at his development. For big part still relies on his pace which is crazy good.

He still fudges dribbles often enough but then goes down and try to win something. Should be booked for that more often than is.

Last edited:

MontenegrinCuler

Any reliable source reporting player is willing to go?
Otherwise, this discussion is pointless
"The Saudi rumors do not affect Vinicius at all. He's a fantastic player who wants to help Real Madrid be at the top, as he did in the last few years."

Carlo said this today before RM training. Classified it as rumors. It's been thrown around on Madrid twitter pages for some time. I also saw ESPN post something about it. Probably not bullshit but I don't think it's that serious either as Carlo seems pretty chill and Vini prolly doesn't want to go..

Home of Barca Fans