Virgil van Dijk

RF20

Banned
In terms of achievements Pique is with the likes of Ramos and Maldini. In terms of ability, Pique was a monster in 2009-2011, pretty close to Van Dijk's best, just different. After that, he kind of started to be off form for months in every season since, playing like crap, and alternating clown performances with good ones. He is like that even today to some extent, except the poor & slow performances outweigh his top ones by far.

He is mainly responsible for our shit 2012 defense. Wonder if the rumors that Pep wanted to get rid of him and others were true.

Ability wise I rank Van Dijk a bit higher, but Pique played in an absolutely stellar once-in-a-lifetime team both for club and country. It's as if Van Dijk played at the Nederlands with guys like Van Basten and Cruyff.

spot on.

Pique was definitely world class in his peak.

But Prime VVD was different gravy as a Player. Without him that Liverpool side is just a top 4 Prem team. Insane impact for a defender

serghei

spot on.

But Prime VVD was different gravy as a Player. Without him that Liverpool side is just a top 4 Prem team. Insane impact for a defender

I think they both fit together in the same team actually, with Van Dijk as the defense general, and Pique as the ball-playing option and his first mate. Prime Pique would be a class above Matip, while being the same overall type of player.

RF20

Banned
In his best days, Pique had an unbelievable technique for a CB with very few errors. I'm talking almost midfielder-like ball control. Van Dijk is stronger and also has some of the qualities that Pique lacked (and were covered by Masche and especially Puyol), so I guess it makes him a more complete CB.

VVD has great athleticism and is great on the ball too. Amazing long passing. Also great in both the boxes from set pieces.

If you notice carefully, most attackers don't even dare to take him on in a 1 on 1 dribbling scenario

serghei

VVD has great athleticism and is great on the ball too. Amazing long passing. Also great in both the boxes from set pieces.

If you notice carefully, most attackers don't even dare to take him on in a 1 on 1 dribbling scenario

He is, but IMO Pique trumps him at ball control in terms of first touch, dribbling, and short passing. Yes, Pique had dribbling talent which is very rare for a CB.

iniestaGOAT

spot on.

VVD is not a different gravy LOL this guy is a troll

Morten

Not going to say which one is the best, but, 1v1 against fast attackers was not something Pique enjoyed.

Catta

Pique at his best was marking Ronaldo out of games. He became underrated because he stopped being serious. One of modern time great CBs.

RF20

Banned
He is, but IMO Pique trumps him at ball control in terms of first touch, dribbling, and short passing. Yes, Pique had dribbling talent which is very rare for a CB.

Yeah I'll give you that. Pique was great on the ball. He can play midfielder too with his skill set

serghei

For what is worth, Liverpool is the only team in the last 10 years or so, to have a case for about 3 players making the first 11 of our golden 2011 team.

I'd say Salah, Van Dijk, and Alisson make it, as much as I like Mascherano and Pedro.

RF20

Banned
Pique used to wet his pants against Cr7. Even Umtiti coped way better against Cr7 than Pique.

Pique got destroyed by fast attackers. One of his major weaknesses.

Rewriting history won't help....

serghei

Pique used to wet his pants against Cr7. Even Umtiti coped way better against Cr7 than Pique.

Rewriting hostory won't help....

When the midfield and attack lost the ability (and the motivation) to apply very high pressure up front, Pique suffered in this area no doubt. That's what it's about with Pique. You have to have the ball and shield him from having to deal with many 1 vs 1 cases.

Mind you, Liverpool does a lot of this too, so Van Dijk is not really asked to solve a lot of 1 vs 1s either.

RF20

Banned
For what is worth, Liverpool is the only team in the last 10 years or so, to have a case for about 3 players making the first 11 of our golden 2011 team.

I'd say Salah, Van Dijk, and Alisson make it, as much as I like Mascherano and Pedro.

You mean, like a combined 11??? Roberston and Mane in perhaps?? Robertson has been immense for us. Mane vs Villa is tight. Mane is pretty damn good

serghei

You mean, like a combined 11??? Roberston and Mane in perhaps?? Robertson has been immense for us. Mane vs Villa is tight. Mane is pretty damn good

David Villa over Mane for sure. Robertson with Abidal is closer, but Abidal was very strong defensively (starter for World Cup finalists France in 2006).

Last edited:

Messigician

Rewriting history won't help....
His classic 5 handsign celebration says different

RF20

Banned
When the midfield and attack lost the ability (and the motivation) to apply very high pressure up front, Pique suffered in this area no doubt. That's what it's about with Pique. You have to have the ball and shield him from having to deal with many 1 vs 1 cases.

Mind you, Liverpool does a lot of this too, so Van Dijk is not really asked to solve a lot of 1 vs 1s either.

Disagree on the last part. Liverpool and Klopp play high pressing football with a very high line and one of VVD's main qualities is his superiority in 1 on 1s. He's super fast and his clips of defending Mbappe, Son and Traore 1 on 1 went viral. The guy is nearly impossible to dribble past. He thrives in the situation you are talking about.

Home of Barca Fans