Virgil van Dijk

serghei

Disagree on the last part. Liverpool and Klopp play high pressing football with a very high line and one of VVD's main qualities is his superiority in 1 on 1s. He's super fast and his clips of defending Mbappe, Son and Traore 1 on 1 went viral. The guy is nearly impossible to dribble past. He thrives in the situation you are talking about.

Yea, but what I see are mostly long balls coming his way. Also, it's not like Van Dijk is facing peak Cristiano Ronaldo. The majority of the players in EPL are nowhere near even peak Di Maria in terms of 1 vs 1 ability, let alone Cristiano. Mbappe would be the closest.

RF20

Banned
Yea, but what I see are mostly long balls coming his way. Also, it's not like Van Dijk is facing peak Cristiano Ronaldo. The majority of the players in EPL are nowhere near even peak Di Maria in terms of 1 vs 1 ability, let alone Cristiano. Mbappe would be the closest.

I think you're forgetting about VVD's pace which massively helps him in these scenarios. If he can cope with the insanely fast Mbappe in an open space he can pretty much defend Di Maria in a 1 on 1.

Messigician

You mean, like a combined 11??? Roberston and Mane in perhaps?? Robertson has been immense for us. Mane vs Villa is tight. Mane is pretty damn good

All I remember is Virgil running back begging for help to defend Messi

Pique would never

RF20

Banned
All I remember is Virgil running back begging for help to defend Messi

Pique would never

That's how you defend Messi. You don't commit and get beaten by him at once. You jockey him and wait for support. That's called being smart.

Seems like you haven't seen how Messi dribbles, MESSIgicianđŸ˜‚đŸ˜‚

Pique? He struggles against bang average attackers. Forget Messi.

iniestaGOAT

That's how you defend Messi. You don't commit and get beaten by him at once. You jockey him and wait for support. That's called being smart.

Seems like you haven't seen how Messi dribbles, MESSIgicianđŸ˜‚đŸ˜‚

Pique? He struggles against bang average attackers. Forget Messi.

Delusional

Rassvet

For what is worth, Liverpool is the only team in the last 10 years or so, to have a case for about 3 players making the first 11 of our golden 2011 team.

I'd say Salah, Van Dijk, and Alisson make it, as much as I like Mascherano and Pedro.

That's a bit of a stretch. Plenty other teams would get 3+.

KingLeo10

For what is worth, Liverpool is the only team in the last 10 years or so, to have a case for about 3 players making the first 11 of our golden 2011 team.

I'd say Salah, Van Dijk, and Alisson make it, as much as I like Mascherano and Pedro.

Bayern 2013

Robben over Pedro
Schweinsteiger over Busquets
Neuer over VV
Alaba (in that season) over Abidal

RM 2017

Benzema/CR7 (depending on who you consider the wide forward) over Villa and Pedro
Marcelo over Abidal
Ramos over Pique
Pepe/Varane over Mascherano

Last edited:

serghei

Bayern 2013

Robben over Pedro
Schweinsteiger over Busquets
Neuer over VV
Alaba (in that season) over Abidal

RM 2017

Benzema/CR7 (depending on who you consider the wide forward) over Villa and Pedro
Marcelo over Abidal
Ramos over Pique
Pepe/Varane over Mascherano

Disagree with Alaba and Schweinei. You can't really break the trio of Busi, Xavi and Iniesta. Abidal was very underrated and better than Alaba, certainly as a defender.

CR7 and Messi in the same team is just not possible. They would clash from minute one. And I'd take peak Villa over Benzema in a wider position any time.

Marcelo and Alves also aren't balanced. Both like to stay up, bomb the flank, and want freedom for dribbling and playmaking actions. You need a better more defensive fullback. It's either Marcelo and Carvajal, or Alves and Abidal. I'd take Alves and Abidal any time.

I think you can take from Madrid in the 2011 Barca team only Keylor Navas (no matter what anyone says, Valdes was not that great overall) and Sergio Ramos.

Last edited:

RF20

Banned
Fun fact: 60 games in, Big Virg is yet to lose a PL game at Anfield.
52 wins 8 draws.

Where are the haters at? Bring it on !

DonAK

President of FC Barcelona
Fun fact: 60 games in, Big Virg is yet to lose a PL game at Anfield.
52 wins 8 draws.

Where are the haters at? Bring it on !

Which haters lol?

Most people rate him as the best CB in the world. Pretty clear choice for me anyway.

If you were to build the perfect CB just in terms of skills/attributes he'd be pretty high up. Height, passing range, physicality, reading of the game, leadership.

RF20

Banned
Which haters lol?

Most people rate him as the best CB in the world. Pretty clear choice for me anyway.

If you were to build the perfect CB just in terms of skills/attributes he'd be pretty high up. Height, passing range, physicality, reading of the game, leadership.

He has many haters who underrate him.

Literally the perfect CB, but they can't accept it

DonAK

President of FC Barcelona
He has many haters who underrate him.

Literally the perfect CB, but they can't accept it

Must be mostly Man Utd fans I guess? Not sure they're in a position to talk about him anyway when they went out and did spend more money on Maguire.

RF20

Banned
Must be mostly Man Utd fans I guess? Not sure they're in a position to talk about him anyway when they went out and did spend more money on Maguire.

City fans, Ramos fans, United fans, etc hate on him.

I guess you'll agree that VVD walks into and improves any team in the world?

Home of Barca Fans