Wayne Rooney

mobster_1930

Why not ? He has a fantastic workrate and he CAN FINISH. He's got 4 years left at very top level and he could be potentially as twice as cheap as Neymar. Barca should really push for Rooney, this is great opportunity. And yeah, it's known that Rooney likes Barca, particulary Iniesta, and Messi's favourite non-Barca player is Rooney I think. Shame if Barca miss opportunity to sign him.

AvocadoCake

The rumor is that ManU is willing to sell him in the summer. Should we go for him ? I think he would be brilliant for Barca.

Well, the only sources for said rumour are the Sun and Daily Fail from what i've seen, i wouldn't read too much into it. Media loves talking about big players (eg Iniesta to City a few years back), this doesn't seem like much. Rooney would leave because of some competition from a player nearing his 30s? No way. Nor would United sell him for the reported 25m mark - United making a loss in the transfer market despite Rooney's quality in the last few years? Nah...

This is not a window of opportunity for us but rather one for the media.

mobster_1930

Yeah, right. It was the same story from some guys here on the forum that we didn't need Falcao two years ago when we could have had him for 40mil. I certainly wouldn't like to see Rooney in Real Madrid, because if they sense that there is a proven quality player like Rooney on the market, they will go for him. Rooney not starting so important match at Old Trafford is more than a signal that something is not really right between him and Fergie.

AvocadoCake

Yeah, right. It was the same story from some guys here on the forum that we didn't need Falcao two years ago when we could have had him for 40mil. I certainly wouldn't like to see Rooney in Real Madrid, because if they sense that there is a proven quality player like Rooney on the market, they will go for him. Rooney not starting so important match at Old Trafford is more than a signal that something is not really right between him and Fergie.

I don't think there's anything wrong: in the first leg Rooney put in one of the worst performances I've seen from a player getting paid more than 150k/w (bar Torres) ever (and he's on 100k more than that). Welbeck was amazing in the first leg, RVP made some chances, if anything my question is how does Nani start ahead of Kagawa/Valencia? Meanwhile, Rooney scored a screamer vs Norwhich... I read absolutely nothing into this, he's too good to be sold, not in good enough form to start ahead of RVP, simple as that IMO.

Daemul

previously known as Jonathan28
Bad form? He's scored 12 goals in his last 20 games, the exact same as RvP who's also scored 12 in his last 20, How exactly is RvP in better form that him? One bad performance and suddenly he sucks? Dafuq? What utterly flawed logic, in that case Messi also sucks.

He;s been better than Pedro + Sanchez x10 combined this season. Is this hate because he's English or something? Because that would be an idiotic reason to think he's not good enough for us, he would walk straight into our forward line.

AvocadoCake

Bad form? He's scored 12 goals in his last 20 games, the exact same as RvP who's also scored 12 in his last 20, How exactly is RvP in better form that him? One bad performance and suddenly he sucks? Dafuq? What utterly flawed logic, in that case Messi also sucks.

He;s been better than Pedro + Sanchez x10 combined this season. Is this hate because he's English or something? Because that would be an idiotic reason to think he's not good enough for us, he would walk straight into our forward line.

Woah, I didn't say he's been in bad form, just not as good as RVP at the moment:
e042d5a6-c004-4ab0-bb1f-d61cfb33a1ee

As for playing for us, I don't know... He's good, no doubt about that, but he's not exactly suited for the wings, while I doubt Messi will return to RW any time soon...

BigBarcaBoy

I find the reaction in the british press to Rooney's dropping completely over the top, he's not been stinking the place out every week, and I'm a liverpool fan

Fourteen

Monster Masch
No, it's not the same story, Falcao and Rooney are different players. Rooney literally has no place in the starting line-up as he is not quick enough for the wings and does not score enough goals for anyone to even contemplate shifting Messi out of his position.

Falcao, Cavani, Aguero and even Neymar are far more suited to our style. It's not worthwhile in my opinion to buy Rooney (No way will it be just £25m) and change our tactics to suit him.

Jenks

According to Roy Keane "the writing's on the wall" for Rooney. I think he's probably known he'd be leaving all season. I don't think he'd suit Barca, he is quick enough for the wings, but he can't dribble to save his life, and the only place he'd make a worthwhile contribution would be front and centre, which isn't going to happen.

S7_MUFC

As a United fan I'd hate loosing him but we have 5-6 players who can play in his position including Kagawa and Powell so, Fergie may be tempted to sell him to sign someone like Bale or even Ronaldo. From Barca Perspective it only makes sense if they change their formation to something like 4-2-3-1.

Deco 20

Scandinavian 101
Why we shouldn't go for him:
1. We'd have to change our formation for him to work
2. He'd be expensive
3. He's on a very high wage already
4. He supposedly hasn't been that good this season
5. He doesn't know Spanish and can barely make himself understood in English

Wouterinho

I don't believe he'd walk straight into our forward line, not at all. Also: bad form is more than just scoring goals, it's about your entire performance. Just to be clear: I'm not saying he is in bad form, I'm just saying scoring goals isn't everything.

About the general discussion: I don't think he'd suit us and if we ever buy someone who doesn't really suit us, it would be to have an additional tactical option (for example a striker that we can use when we're having a hard time scoring against a defensive team). However, if we were to do something like this (we don't have to imo), it would have to be someone way cheaper (transfer price + wage) and someone happy to be a substitute.

Also, if/when Villa finds his form, Rooney doens't have that much to offer us any more.

I do think Rooney could be lethal when he joins Real Madrid, so let's hope that's not the case. I actually think he's not going anywhere.

Home of Barca Fans