World Cup 2018

West Saxon

Wait, I'm a little confused. The winner of this tie plays Japan right? Why would the teams want to face Colombia over Japan though?
Because after Japan, it's Sweden or Switzerland. After Colombia, it's probably Brazil. I can see the argument, but personally I'd just go out to win any game. A disciplined defensive side like Switzerland and a team full of physical monsters like Sweden could be tricky for England anyway.

mehdimike

I'm not entirely convinced it is. Colombia are definitely no pushovers. No good having an 'easier' quarter-final if Colombia stop us getting there in the first place. Japan won't be easy either, but I think I'd rather play them in the next round than Colombia.

Imagine England lost intentionally to Belgium but somehow Mexico eliminated Brazil:)

Neeraj

Because after Japan, it's Sweden or Switzerland. After Colombia, it's probably Brazil. I can see the argument, but personally I'd just go out to win any game. A disciplined defensive side like Switzerland and a team full of physical monsters like Sweden could be tricky for England anyway.

Aah okay. Yeah I agree, in a situation like this, you've just got to go out and win. It would feel really weird if you lost intentionally, almost like karma or the lady luck trying to get you. You just know you're going to screw up the next game, thinking about a future game.

However, I think putting out your bench out to play and asking them to go all out isn't a bad option. If you win, great, your subs have gotten a good run out and were able to win the game without the main players. And if you lose, ah well, silver lining.

West Saxon

Aah okay. Yeah I agree, in a situation like this, you've just got to go out and win. It would feel really weird if you lost intentionally, almost like karma or the lady luck trying to get you. You just know you're going to screw up the next game, thinking about a future game.

However, I think putting out your bench out to play and asking them to go all out isn't a bad option. If you win, great, your subs have gotten a good run out and were able to win the game without the main players. And if you lose, ah well, silver lining.
Yes, I completely agree. Throwing a game just goes against the spirit the sport was supposed to be played in. I think playing subs in this game is a good idea because these players will want to impress Southgate (same goes for Belgium's players) to try and get into the starting XI for the next game, so they should be extra motivated.

Also, England (or any team) simply aren't good enough to arrogantly start thinking Switzerland or Sweden is an automatic ticket to the semi-finals - we lost to Iceland 2 years ago after basically thinking we were through. Whoever we get will be difficult. We have a really poor record against Sweden, for instance, and they are a handful for any team with their physicality. Let's just try and play well and win and see where we get to.

Stoichkov1

Yes, I completely agree. Throwing a game just goes against the spirit the sport was supposed to be played in. I think playing subs in this game is a good idea because these players will want to impress Southgate (same goes for Belgium's players) to try and get into the starting XI for the next game, so they should be extra motivated.

Also, England (or any team) simply aren't good enough to arrogantly start thinking Switzerland or Sweden is an automatic ticket to the semi-finals - we lost to Iceland 2 years ago after basically thinking we were through. Whoever we get will be difficult. We have a really poor record against Sweden, for instance, and they are a handful for any team with their physicality. Let's just try and play well and win and see where we get to.

You lost to Iceland 2 years ago because you had a retarded manager who thought that asking Kane to take corners was a good idea.

West Saxon

This game is showing why Henderson is a better player than Dier. Dier's a decent player, but Henderson's passing is far superior.

Pretty boring game so far, to be honest, but can't say I care much. Be cool to see Harry at some stage.

JamDav1982

Ok. Could get interesting in 3nd half. All England has to do is pick couple of yellows and be 2nd placed if they really want to be in other (easier) bracket.

Think England would need four yellows for that to happen and that is with Belgium not getting any.

Emgland dont look like want to try that kind of thing for 2nd so far.

Home of Barca Fans