World Cup 2022

BBZ8800

How many trophies has barca won and how many trophies has Croatia ever won

Very interested to see this stat

What kind of bad argument is that?
European NT teams get a chance to compete each 2 years at Euros or Wcs.
And ONLY if you manage to qualify through qualification stages.
So, since 1996 when Croatia started to play, they had a chance to participate only 14 times on Wcs and Euros.

Top clubs get a chance to play in domestic league, domestic cup, CL every season.
Since 1996, Barca had had a chance to play in a CL 27 times and to win La Liga 27 times.

Also, club's success depends on money.
The richer you are, the better team you'll assemble.
You can "buy" technical players, or strikers, or captains or players with a mental strength.
Barca is one of the richest clubs in the world, yet we never invest in mental strength, captains or leaders, even though you have 8 Billion people to choose from.
With NT teams, you get what you get from your crop of players from your country.
For example: Usa 330m, Brazil 215m, Mexico 130m, Japan 125m, Germany 83m, France 68m, England 56m, Spain 47m.
Croatia population 3,9m.
For example, Madrid alone has 3,2m population. London has 9m.

Not sure why you lads get so defensive because no one is on the bandwagon this time around.

You are from Romania, who didn't have good NT results or WC participations since Usa 94' and France 98'.
I am watching football since late 80s. CL is fun, el classicos are fun.
But, at least for me, nothing comes even close to WCs or Euros when your country is playing, especially if your country is at least semi-decent.
I was happy/sad millions of times when Barca won/lost in a CL.
But your NT team, a totally different universe. It is as if your family or friends are playing. A totally tribal thing/experience.
Yesterday during a match vs Japan, I have totally overheated (literally) from losing nerves and cursing during a match. Had to drink tons of fluids afterwards, had to go outside and walk for an hour after a match at 0*C (32*Fahrenheit) to cool down and return back to normal.
I have returned to a normal state only around at midnight, 5-6 hours after a match.

So, at least in my case, NT football is way more emotional, personal and tribal than anything in club football (especially for us foreigners, Barca's fans, for example).

And tbf you didn't have any exciting player since Modric peaked.

Well, Croatia suffers from "amigos disease".
It is hard to kick out older players who reached a final in 2018'.
Luckily, Gk Subasic, Fc Mandzukic, CM Rakitic and some other retired, but a lot of the core is still here, and you just have to play them (the same as with Busi and amigos at Barca).
But after the amigos, Croatia will again have a nice, new team with players of similar characterics (technical, somewhat physical, combative, somewhat wild and unpredictable).
About a new gen of possibly exciting players:
1. you know CB Gvardiol (a guy with the mask), who will probably end as top5 the most expensive defenders of all time, aged 20
2. another young (currently a sub) CB, Sutalo, aged 22. Transfermarkt 18m.
3. young CM Majer, aged 24, playing at Rennes, value: 22m. Followed by Real Madrid and some big clubs, sometimes labelled as a new Modric (even though these labels are often stupid)
4. personally I like this guy: CM Sucic, aged 20, playing for RB Salzburg, value 20m.

About values, some might say: these players are not worth that much.
Well, there is always an element of nationality, sporting propaganda, influence and brands of big clubs, EPL tax, Barca/Real tax where players from some countries (Brazil, England, Spain) cost 2-3 times more than they deserve, because they are domestic, local fans want them, sponsors want local players.

I have seen a few memes during this world cup and there's a lot of truth in it, when some player from a smaller country scores a goal, a meme says something like:
Ivan Perisic, Croatia = worth 15m
But change his name into:
Peri, Spanish = worth 70m
Perisinho, Brazil = worth 80m
Ewan Permanwood, English = 100m

For example, Perisic, even during his peak, never managed to cost more than 15-20m on a transfer fee.
Yet, Spanish/Catalan Ferran Torres came to Barca for 50-60m, while he can barely hit the target and slips during 50% of shooting attempts.
While Perisic can't stop scoring all sorts of insane goals and majority of his shots are clean and bangers. But Torres is way more expensive than him.

This is Croatian young CM Luka Sucic from RB Salzburg.
His transfermarkt value is 20m, while for example: Nico and Puig had a value of 25m during the last 2 years, lol. A huge lol especially for Puig.
So, wherever we go, we can see those Barca/La Masia or Brazil/EPL taxes where players from some countries/clubs are vastly overrated and overpriced.
Now, imagine that this guy is from La Masia and aged 20. He would already be worth 50-60m, playing as a starter for Barca, being called by Lucho for NT teams, having 10m followers on Instagram etc:

My point: about exciting players, unless a player is of Modric's/Rakitic's level, mid-range players from smaller countries won't get as exposed or as hyped as English, Brazil or Spanish players.
So, it is hard to judge them based on exposure, hype and transfermarkt price UNLESS/UNTIL they move to bigger EPL or Barca/Real levels.

Last edited:

malvolio

[MENTION=16942]BBZ8800[/MENTION] you got too emotional mate :lol:

There's nothing wrong in getting excited over your country doing well at the WC. But can't be frustrated at people not getting behind Croatia or predicting they'll get smashed by Brazil.

Since you don't have exciting new talents in attack, or a young core of players that play good football, maybe people(neutrals) got tired of seeing the same Modric/Perisic/Brozovic.

Croatia did very well considering the country's size, population and the fact you declared your independence like yesterday. Every reason to be proud of your country(probably one of the best success stories of the EU?). So relax and enjoy every minute.

serghei

Perisic is an underrated player that's for sure. Professional and rock solid mentality.

I think we should take a closer look at players from Croatia, Serbia etc. They have proper fighting spirit and qualities you usually find very rarely in Latin players, like resilience, work ethic, ambition.

It's a reality we sometimes go overboard with Spanish/South American players.

Spain had a some years ago one of the best generation of players all-time, it's normal for that to turn into some sort of nostalgia, and to last some good years past their retirement, hence the comparisons with new Xavi, new Iniesta and things like that. On top of that, they had a good Euro 2 years ago where they played the best football in the whole tournament. The overinflating of Spanish talent lately is understandable.

Last edited:

BerkeleyBernie

Only if they don't practice at all. Likes of Poland were a pen away from eliminating Portugal in 2016. Just need players to actually take some before they're asked to on biggest national stage possible

Yeah, it looked as if they hadn't trained penalties at all.

BBZ8800

[MENTION=16942]BBZ8800[/MENTION] you got too emotional mate :lol:

There's nothing wrong in getting excited over your country doing well at the WC. But can't be frustrated at people not getting behind Croatia or predicting they'll get smashed by Brazil.

Since you don't have exciting new talents in attack, or a young core of players that play good football, maybe people(neutrals) got tired of seeing the same Modric/Perisic/Brozovic.

Croatia did very well considering the country's size, population and the fact you declared your independence like yesterday. Every reason to be proud of your country(probably one of the best success stories of the EU?). So relax and enjoy every minute.

No problem

Anyway, one remark from an outsider viewer.

WC is a popular event all around the world and even women watch it.
Here are some random quotes/remarks about WC teams and players from my girlfriend, haha:

1. Kramaric (Croatia) is a horrible player, losing balls left and right
2. Mbappe is sensational. He is so fast and good
3. Rafael Leao has a good haircut, he is very strong and a very good player :lol:
4. France, Brazil and England are the strongest teams
5. Japan plays weird type of football
6. Spain plays very boring, just passing all the time and nothing is happening. It is not too fun watching their matches
7. my favorite remark: match between Japan and Spain looked like a match of junior players. Japanese are shorter by genetics, while Spanish players looked like skinny junior players
8. no one had a beard on Japan - Spain match

My point here was about Spain.
This is Barca's forum and Spain plays similar to Barca and has tons of our players, so our fans are biased towards Spain and like that footballing style.
But personally, in my surroundings, I hear a lot of: wow Brazil, wow France remarks.
I almost never hear: wow Pedri/Gavi.

The same as how Brazil's style, swag or dancing after goals are perfectly normal in South America, but it can look like clowning for people in Northern Europe.
It is similar with Spain: for some it is the most awesome footballing style, for others it is: I want to hang myself to death - inducing style.

Regarding Croatia vs Brazil, I can understand why Brazil is a favorite and why people think that they play better. I agree.
But, you know my opinion, I disagree with remarks that Spain is offering something breathtaking.

JohnN

No problem

Here are some random quotes/remarks about WC teams and players from my girlfriend, haha:

3. Rafael Leao has a good haircut, he is very strong and a very good player :lol:
6. Spain plays very boring, just passing all the time and nothing is happening. It is not too fun watching their matches
7. my favorite remark: match between Japan and Spain looked like a match of junior players. Japanese are shorter by genetics, while Spanish players looked like skinny junior players

This is Barca's forum and Spain plays similar to Barca and has tons of our players, so our fans are biased towards Spain and like that footballing style.
But personally, in my surroundings, I hear a lot of: wow Brazil, wow France remarks.

The same as how Brazil's style, swag or dancing after goals are perfectly normal in South America, but it can look like clowning for people in Northern Europe.
It is similar with Spain: for some it is the most awesome footballing style, for others it is: I want to hang myself to death - inducing style.

Regarding Croatia vs Brazil, I can understand why Brazil is a favorite and why people think that they play better. I agree.
But, you know my opinion, I disagree with remarks that Spain is offering something breathtaking.

Spain and of course, Barca football, has become too boring. Passing in a slow tempo with no purpose. Waiting for the "right moment" to present itself, without actively pursuing it. I don't believe this style is the most awesome footballing style for anyone, anymore.

Many teams have adopted the basics from the spanish teams of 2010s, like:
Always try first to build from the back, Counter press like a maniac when first losing the ball, Take short corners to create unbalance in marking, if you don't have height advantage and many other aspects.

But spain became too predictable because they never break their rules. You need to break the rules sometimes and they are becoming too purists.

Messigician

Yesterday during a match vs Japan, I have totally overheated (literally) from losing nerves and cursing during a match. Had to drink tons of fluids afterwards, had to go outside and walk for an hour after a match at 0*C (32*Fahrenheit) to cool down and return back to normal.
I have returned to a normal state only around at midnight, 5-6 hours after a match.

Drama queen lol

Porque

No problem

Bro, We all know the reason for this wall of text.

serghei

You might want to edit your post to remove this racist stereotyping.

No. I believe races and cultures are different. Latin people are generally built different than say people in the Balkans or Central Europe. Say us Romanians are neighbors with Serbia and we have little in common with them, and much more in common with Italians and other Latin countries.

Last edited:

Home of Barca Fans