World Cup 2022

bismp

Don‘t know if it true or if it is just pure nostalgia or the fact that i do not follow football nearly as much as did compared to back when i was a kid, but I feel that as the years pass, there are fewer and fewer stars. And this is even more evident when looking at the World Cup squads:

Brazil back then: Roberto Carlos, Rivaldo, Ronaldinho, R9, Cafu, Kaka, Adriano
now: washed up Neymar? Vini? Casemiro? 38 old T.Silva? Jesus? (and that‘s the deepest squad mind you)

Spain back then: Xavi, Iniesta, Cesc, Villa, Torres, Puyol, Ramos, Casillas, Alonso, D.Silva, Mata etc
now: Pedri? Fati? Carvajal? Morata? Dinosaur Busquets?

Italy back then: Pirlo, Gatusso, Totti, Del Piero, Buffon, Cannavaro etc
now: not even qualified lol

Germany back then: Lahm, Neuer, Schweinsteiger, Klose, prime Boateng, prime Hummels, M?ller, Kroos
now: even older Neuer/Kroos/M?ller, Gnabry? Harvetz? I guess Kimmich is truly WC

England back then: Lampard, Rooney, Gerrard, Ferdinand, Cole, Terry
now: Sterling?Kane, Rashford or Foden are good i guess. Maguire? TAA? Saka?

Argentina back then: Zanetti, Cambiasso, Tevez, Aguero, prime Higuain, prime Messi, prime Di Maria, Mascherano
now: 35 old Messi, Dybala? L.Martinez? and a bunch of hard working but technically limited players

France back then: Zidane, Henry, Viera, Ribery, Abidal, Makelele
now: the only squad that can be possibly compared with Mbappe, Benzema, Varane, Lloris, Kante, Pogba etc (most of them injured anyway)

Netherlands back then: Robben, Sneijder, Van Persie
now: Depay? De Jong? Van Dijk is great i guess

I mainly used 2006/2010 squads for comparison. I feel it is all been downhill from that point on.

Nowadays who are legitimately the 5-10 biggest stars heading to the WC?

Mbappe, 35 old Messi, a washed up Neymar, KDB(truly WC), Benzema (who had just had the season of his life and deservedly won the Ballon D‘Or, but still is 35?) and then I guess Kane? Vinicius? Kimmich? Van Dijk? an even older Modric? Son?

Porque

Lucho's Spain teams were/are always about the sum of all parts and not the individuals.

The squad is weak individually and thus will struggle when they need moments of individual brilliance (for example the Nations League final versus France where they competed but didn't have a match winner to swing the margin).

This squad is no different, he has a unit that have played together for years, and a midfield that trains together for both club and country.

I don't think they will win it because a team with individual brilliance can overwelm them if they are on their day. And there are 3/4 of these teams in Spains path. But I expect them to have a good showing as the Euros and past two Nations League's have shown.

Now if Fati can find his scoring timing over the next few weeks somehow, Spains chances will greatly improve.

Neeraj

Spain's squad looks...terrible. Look at the defenders in that squad, it's pretty pathetic. Frontline mediocre. Midfield somewhat okay. GK nothing special. Cannot believe people think this squad is good.

JohnN

Don?t know if it true or if it is just pure nostalgia or the fact that i do not follow football nearly as much as did compared to back when i was a kid, but I feel that as the years pass, there are fewer and fewer stars. And this is even more evident when looking at the World Cup squads:

Brazil back then: Roberto Carlos, Rivaldo, Ronaldinho, R9, Cafu, Kaka, Adriano
now: washed up Neymar? Vini? Casemiro? 38 old T.Silva? Jesus? (and that?s the deepest squad mind you)

Spain back then: Xavi, Iniesta, Cesc, Villa, Torres, Puyol, Ramos, Casillas, Alonso, D.Silva, Mata etc
now: Pedri? Fati? Carvajal? Morata? Dinosaur Busquets?

Italy back then: Pirlo, Gatusso, Totti, Del Piero, Buffon, Cannavaro etc
now: not even qualified lol

Germany back then: Lahm, Neuer, Schweinsteiger, Klose, prime Boateng, prime Hummels, M?ller, Kroos
now: even older Neuer/Kroos/M?ller, Gnabry? Harvetz? I guess Kimmich is truly WC

England back then: Lampard, Rooney, Gerrard, Ferdinand, Cole, Terry
now: Sterling?Kane, Rashford or Foden are good i guess. Maguire? TAA? Saka?

Argentina back then: Zanetti, Cambiasso, Tevez, Aguero, prime Higuain, prime Messi, prime Di Maria, Mascherano
now: 35 old Messi, Dybala? L.Martinez? and a bunch of hard working but technically limited players

France back then: Zidane, Henry, Viera, Ribery, Abidal, Makelele
now: the only squad that can be possibly compared with Mbappe, Benzema, Varane, Lloris, Kante, Pogba etc (most of them injured anyway)

Netherlands back then: Robben, Sneijder, Van Persie
now: Depay? De Jong? Van Dijk is great i guess

I mainly used 2006/2010 squads for comparison. I feel it is all been downhill from that point on.

Nowadays who are legitimately the 5-10 biggest stars heading to the WC?

Mbappe, 35 old Messi, a washed up Neymar, KDB(truly WC), Benzema (who had just had the season of his life and deservedly won the Ballon D?Or, but still is 35?) and then I guess Kane? Vinicius? Kimmich? Van Dijk? an even older Modric? Son?

I believe 2005 to 2015 was really a great period for football fans. Great teams, talented coaches and players. We have hit a bit of a bad patch now but this has happened before, so things will turn around inevitably at some point.

Argentina though are a better team collectively than the were. France is probably even stronger than back then. England did better with these players than with all that talent they had. Spain is significantly worse of course as is Germany.

Nucky

Spain's squad looks...terrible. Look at the defenders in that squad, it's pretty pathetic. Frontline mediocre. Midfield somewhat okay. GK nothing special. Cannot believe people think this squad is good.

Wouldn't suprise me if they don't make it through the group stage..

Luftstalag14

Culé de Celestial Empire
It's a bit cringy but as long as they are not really "fake", as in people hired by the Qataris and WC officials to act like fans of these various NT teams, I think it is OK.

It is kind of like foreign/international Barca fans in a way.

Home of Barca Fans