Xavi Hernández

Status
Not open for further replies.

Birdy

RAmon Planes signings: Pedri, Araujo, Abde with 0 money

Xavi and Jordi Cryuff's signings: Ferran, Raphinia, Lewy with all the money of the levers

Judge for youselves.
The club is badly in need of a sporting director

iniestaGOAT

Xavi and Jordi Cryuff's signings: Ferran, Raphinia, Lewy with all the money of the levers

Judge for youselves.

They should just hire you

serghei

That would mean we won back to back league titles. Would be a good thing, my son.

If we can repeat the league title and go deep into the CL, then it would be a superb follow-up to this good season.

What will happen is our unreal consistency in the league will take a hit and we will get a real title fight with Madrid next season, but we'll be better in CL.

This season, the focus of the team in La Liga has been spectacular. When you win it, that tends to decline in the next season. Hopefully not enough and we will still manage to clinch another league title.

The only positive of bringing Messi back would be exactly that. With the good structure of the team in defense, and Messi in offense, we'll be very very hard to beat for the next La Liga by Madrid.

Also, Xavi has proven that he can be pragmatic when he wants, and can put in a very solid defensive team. There's a slight possibility, if Messi still has something left in the tank and if he comes back, to use this good defensive structure the same way Argentina did, and use Messi as the difference maker in offense for one more final CL push with him, following Argentina's recipe. Only thing that we miss is some Courtois clutch wonder-saves in these matches at the level of Bibu.

These are slim chances, but if Messi doesn't care for a big paycheck and wants one more shot at a glorious retirement from Barcelona, it's worth a shot for one season. It's not like we'll win CL next season without Messi anyway.

Porque

Judge for youselves.

Signings for Getafe have been poor though.

i_bleed_blaugrana

I take exception to people using the calibre of players we previously had to give xavi an excuse as to why we play so poorly scraping wins. The players we have are not relegation fodder as some like to infer.
Xavi has in multiple games been tactically Subpar but yet inspite of those tactics we've come out ahead in those matches due to the disparity of the squads and huge slices of luck at times

Let us start here. First I like to differentiate between developing a tactical system and game management when it comes to analyzing managers because they really are two different skills. I take exception equally when people say Xavi is poor tactically or gets outclassed. For me, I think where Xavi fits the bill currently for us is what he is doing in training and how he is redeveloping the quality of our play tactically. I implore you to watch these big matches from 2-3 years ago, compare them to now and you will see clear improvement in this regard.

Where I agree with your sentiments towards Xavi is with his game management which is clearly lacking still. He makes puzzling subs at times and relies too often on the strength of his system, the players finding the solution in the flow of the match and just our possession wearing them out in the end. Especially since he relies on youngins and he is literally teaching the foundations of positional play to a lot of new players, it is not a wise approach and it probably cost us namely against Inter and the first match against Real.

Basically I think he often gets his initial approach in matches right it is just how he reacts to the match evolution and his opponents adjustments that he lacks in. I think eventually the quality of his system over time and him learning from these mistakes is worth giving him patience on.

If he does not show signs of serious improvement however on his game management and his squad usage (his other main weakness imo) by next season however, I will also start to question his true viability here long term.

We have invested heavily and with another manager espcially one with more experience who's to say we wouldn't have done better? Genuinely sick of the excuses mediocre managers get at this club.

Xavi has so far done an OK job so far. His ceiling seems very limited. Has he improved the team? Yes somewhat but it's the bare mimimuim I'd expect from a barca manager considering how low our level was before investment.

Brighton have lost their entire coaching staff and numerous players and are still performing well as a team. Something we are not under xavi too often. They have a style of play and attacking patterns something we struggle with..

Considering what was available at the time when we appointed Xavi, there are only two real examples I can think of who genuinely could have worked here but one of them (Tuchel) would have needed Messi here and I doubt he could have handled a rebuild of this magnitude in a league he was fairly unfamiliar with without Messi.

For example, people think it is easy to walk La Liga (not saying you just in general here) and Tata had a great squad on his hands and largely fumbled it to Atleti due to his inexperience here. It is not a given a manager who is largely coming into the league as an outsider will have success, hell even Ancelotti struggled for a bit when he first joined Real domestically. So maybe for a short term, 2-3 year approach Xavi is not the pick but we have been doing manager roulette for the better part of a decade now and outside of maybe ETH, I do not think there was genuinely a stronger candidate for a long-term rebuild approach like this.

You stated how low of a level this team was before, that was off the backs of two very experienced managers who really had no clear idea on what sort of football they really wanted to play here, brought in quite a few players who were not good enough and not the right profile. It is not a safe assumption at all to think any quality or experienced manager could do this job effectively. Dembele is a great example: he has had 3 managers with more experience than Xavi and the one without this gold-standard experience is the one who really started unlocking him here. Riddle me that please.

Brighton have been ran much, much better over the last 5 years than we have. We were a fucking criminal money laundering front virtually until 2 years ago. The fact that they can lose a manager like Potter but replace him and key player departures well is due to them having a clear, definitive, long term idea of how they want to build their club. We are just now redeveloping a clear, cohesive sporting strategy from top to bottom, first time in over a decade. Just not a fair comparison at all despite the clout differences being in our favor.

And I fundamentally disagree on the pattern and style of play. Outside of how we finish our moves, I think even the big matches we have lost this season, I see a clear style and pattern of play that is effective. Like my bro, we created plenty of chances in Bavaria for example to win that game, only so much a manager can do when the players are not executing and letting the occasion get to them.

To conclude on his signings, again I hear your criticisms and concede it is far from perfect from him here. He needs to have a better idea on how he is going to get the most out of players, especially forwards, who are typically the most financially draining. He has been too trusting of these old heads who simply do not have the legs nor sheer quality anymore for his football and hopefully he learns that this season.

In his defense on the other hand, with the extensions that has a lot more to do with FFP to give us room to maneuver. Those alone are not an indication strictly of Xavi and decisions. If he keeps playing Roberto and Alonso in Europe next season, yeah we have a problem but it has not all been bad from Xavi transfer wise. Kounde would be better if he was not playing out of position so much and both Kessie and Auba were solid.

In sum, I just see more good than bad from him and while I can hear the criticisms and can see the validity in what you specifically are saying, he has done enough to earn at least one more season.

malvolio

Put a young hungry manager in Madrid and they will probably beat us to the league next season. They have a better squad than us that will be backed in the market by buckets of cash.

Xavi won't always have the luxury of a season like this one when many things went our way in the league. Aside from beating Madrid a few times, which seems to be more because of match up and the mindset, we haven't defeated a top team all season. Bayern, Man Utd(are they even that good?) and Inter(top just in name, they are bums) all dispatched us.

Atletico were terrible when we met them in the Autumn.

jamrock

So let's get this right, our level was very low before we invested, that investment wins us to leave, and that's the bare minimum lol.

You would think Barca is bayern or PSG, where we just won the league title 10 years in a row, then he came in and just kept winning it, under those circumstances a lot of the dumb stick he gets here, from fans who apply these ridiculously high standards to the man that they don't dare apply to themselves would make sense.

For 3 years we won fuck all, new management comes in, and in the summer spent 170m, net spend was like no more than 40m.

For that you win your first league title in 3 seasons, that's what you call return on your investment & an extremely good start to a rebuild.

Let the idiots keep talking about, oh we don't play like Barcelona and we should have won the treble or at least competed for it, while playing champagne football,
give the money we spend, because that's the standard of Barcelona. ��

The question is which Barcelona? The Barcelona of the last 3/4 years, fuck no.

What money? Wolves bought an Atletico bench warmer for fucking 60m Euros, we spend 170 in the summer and are talking the 2nd best league on the planet.

No freaking sense of prospective.

jamrock

Put a young hungry manager in Madrid and they will probably beat us to the league next season. They have a better squad than us that will be backed in the market by buckets of cash.

Xavi won't always have the luxury of a season like this one when many things went our way in the league. Aside from beating Madrid a few times, which seems to be more because of match up and the mindset, we haven't defeated a top team all season. Bayern, Man Utd(are they even that good?) and Inter(top just in name, they are bums) all dispatched us.

Atletico were terrible when we met them in the Autumn.

So for every "big" team he's beaten their is an excuse or reason as to why? And it's not on merit, but every big team he's lost to it's because he's shit? No excuses given for him?.

Lewa didn't miss the open goal twice.
Pique didn't give inter 2 goals
We didn't play 2/3 games being down a couple of our players.

You can't have it both ways, you have to either give him credit for his wins or take some of the mitigating circumstances into consideration around his loses.

malvolio

So for every "big" team he's beaten their is an excuse or reason as to why? And it's not on merit, but every big team he's lost to it's because he's shit? No excuses given for him?.

Lewa didn't miss the open goal twice.
Pique didn't give inter 2 goals
We didn't play 2/3 games being down a couple of our players.

You can't have it both ways, you have to either give him credit for his wins or take some of the mitigating circumstances into consideration around his loses.

It's a curious case I would say. The quality of play and some important results scream of him not knowing what he's doing.

And yes, it's baffling how you beat Madrid in the league once and get spanked in the cup after parking the bus. The glorified friendly I don't really count, unlike Xavi.

Atletico was terrible when we beat them.

Redbuck

It's a curious case I would say. The quality of play and some important results scream of him not knowing what he's doing.

And yes, it's baffling how you beat Madrid in the league once and get spanked in the cup after parking the bus. The glorified friendly I don't really count, unlike Xavi.

Atletico was terrible when we beat them.

So lemme get this straight, Xavi is only good when he beats big teams in good form ??? If he loses or beats them when they're out of form, he gets the stick ??? Well, I won't blame you much since you're well known on this forum to be a pessimistic poster and always sees the bad side of everything.

malvolio

So lemme get this straight, Xavi is only good when he beats big teams in good form ??? If he loses or beats them when they're out of form, he gets the stick ??? Well, I won't blame you much since you're well known on this forum to be a pessimistic poster and always sees the bad side of everything.

lol

i just don't see the positives going forward with him. winning the league in the current context is still a great achievement for him. but my feeling right now is that he'll get sacked at the end of next season. maybe i'm pessimistic, as usual...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Home of Barca Fans