Xavi Hernández

Status
Not open for further replies.

serghei

Even if he doesn't, it doesn't mean a failure. We have already won this one and who knows maybe we do well in Europe next year and don't win the league even if it is unlikely.

The only thing I want to see first is some better football.

Next year, the objective has to be higher than this season. It's normal. So win the league and get into CL quarterfinals is an ambitious target. From there, who knows, maybe we get a lucky draw and we get into the semis.

fergus90

Going by rumours, they’re expecting a quiet summer on the transfer front at Madrid so I’m not sure if them finishing 2nd will kickstart an overhaul.

Barca could well be in the driving seat to win it again. I don’t see us competitive in Europe tbh, been miles off it for most of the last 6-7 years.

serghei

Going by rumours, they?re expecting a quiet summer on the transfer front at Madrid so I?m not sure if them finishing 2nd will kickstart an overhaul.

Barca could well be in the driving seat to win it again. I don?t see us competitive in Europe tbh, been miles off it for most of the last 6-7 years.

They don't need an overhaul. They already have a better squad. They need more motivation and for our motivation to dip a bit after winning it, and some complacency, and repeating a league becomes difficult.

If we manage to keep the same pace and the same hard work week in week out, only then it becomes very likely to repeat the league. But our points tally this season is seriously impressive and an anomaly imo. Gonna be extremely difficult to repeat this type of league form next season.

Gonna be way way closer that's for sure.

Not playing home games on Camp Nou is another hurdle.

FC B

:facepalm:

Competing in Europe doesn't come immediately with a new team. It takes a bit of time. Winning La Liga is pretty impressive so quickly. Of course failing to do better in Europe next season will be a bigger problem.

We'll cross that bridge when we get to it.

Season is a solid 8/10 if we win La Liga in such a clear and dominant fashion. For a team barely starting their rebuild in the last summer.

Competing in Europe means competing in CL, nobody said he should've reached the semis but hey, what about getting out of the group stage or at least do something in fucking Europa League?
Even there he was able to do shit in two consecutive seasons against mighty Frankfurt and a mighty United that a shitty LFC put freaking s e v e n goals past with ease!

It is impressive to win LL so quickly but bear in mind Madrid is not focusing on LL and ATM is trash this season. So it's not so much of a big achievement to win a LL pretty much on a one horse race. Moreover, it's quite likely that european pefrormances of Xavi's Barca won't improve significantly the next season. There are serious issues with underperforming players and also with the club finances. Xavi's style of play doesn't help either against serious, intense, and organised squads that know how to play against such a system that he employs. So I can't see how Barca could significantly improve in Europe in the near future.

fergus90

They don't need an overhaul. They already have a better squad. They need more motivation and for our motivation to dip a bit after winning it, and some complacency, and repeating a league becomes difficult.

If we manage to keep the same pace and the same hard work week in week out, only then it becomes very likely to repeat the league. But our points tally this season is seriously impressive and an anomaly imo. Gonna be extremely difficult to repeat this type of league form next season.

Gonna be way way closer that's for sure.

Not playing home games on Camp Nou is another hurdle.

I don’t think their problem is motivation but more a lack of depth now. Benzema is 35 and started to miss more games, Modric 38, having to play Camavinga Lb because Mendy is poor. Carvajal has seen better days, lack of rotational options up front etc.

I think there is a big opportunity for Barca to win it again personally.

serghei

Competing in Europe means competing in CL, nobody said he should've reached the semis but hey, what about getting out of the group stage or at least do something in fucking Europa League?
Even there he was able to do shit in two consecutive seasons against mighty Frankfurt and a mighty United that a shitty LFC put freaking s e v e n goals past with ease!

It is impressive to win LL so quickly but bear in mind Madrid is not focusing on LL and ATM is trash this season. So it's not so much of a big achievement to win a LL pretty much on a one horse race. Moreover, it's quite likely that european pefrormances of Xavi's Barca won't improve significantly the next season. There are serious issues with underperforming players and also with the club finances. Xavi's style of play doesn't help either against serious, intense, and organised squads that know how to play against such a system that he employs. So I can't see how Barca could significantly improve in Europe in the near future.

Europa League? Who gives a crap about competitions that Sevilla won multiple times in a row?

It's winning the league, competing in CL.

If you suck in both, of course 2nd level competitions like Europa League and Copa del Rey become important. Take what you can if you can't do well in the big ones.

serghei

I don’t think their problem is motivation but more a lack of depth now. Benzema is 35 and started to miss more games, Modric 38, having to play Camavinga Lb because Mendy is poor. Carvajal has seen better days, lack of rotational options up front etc.

I think there is a big opportunity for Barca to win it again personally.

It's for sure motivation for me. They saw Barca in hot league form, fecked up too much vs small teams, and gave up on it since they have no chance anyway.

serghei

Madrid are a good league team, but not spectacular. So, if we can also produce a spectacular league season next year, we will win it most likely. If not, we can lose for sure.

For example, looking at City and Bayern in their leagues this year... not that good, plenty of fuck-ups vs smaller teams.

Bayern in a league they dominate for 11 years or so, have 7 draws and 3 losses. Barcelona have 2 draws and 2 losses. It's a 13 points difference.

serghei

I would like it for us to build a City level domination in La Liga in the next few seasons, but it's difficult considering our financial problems.

FC B

Europa League? Who gives a crap about competitions that Sevilla won multiple times in a row?

It's winning the league, competing in CL.

If you suck in both, of course 2nd level competitions like Europa League and Copa del Rey become important. Take what you can if you can't do well in the big ones.

The point was that Xavi's Barca was not able to perform at all in Europe, not even in a tier 2 competition like Europa League vs. tier 3 opponents like Frankfurt and United. That speaks volumes about what this team is capable atm and shows that it may stay quite the same in the near future too since there is no plan to change Xavi and no money for a serious overhaul.

Rory

Not excuses. We should have as an objective to win the league, but in case you didn't notice our rival is the biggest club in the world.

We're not fighting with Dortmund, Leipzig, or Lens here.

All I'm saying is you should not devalue the league, or consider it easy to win. Madrid may have had a bad season in the league, but they won't just wait around and see us winning leagues in a row like in the Messi era.

They will react. You saw them celebrating their Copa semifinal win like crazy a few days ago.

Not many leagues have been won in the last 3 seasons by 3 different teams, as it's close with La Liga.

Ah okay fair enough then. I definitely don't devalue the league, I think it's a big success to win it and we should celebrate that. At the same time results in other competitions have been so poor it's the only thing giving Xavi more time. It's fair he gets more time but a repeat of the european results this year and not winning the league next year would be a disaster and Xavi would have to go.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Home of Barca Fans