Xavi Hernández

Status
Not open for further replies.

JamDav1982

Yes he has the best squad in the league so of course he should be fighting for the title.

Should be looking to compete in CL also.

Those are the expectations at Barca as always been said.

serghei

Nobody said Barca can't win lol :lol:. Just that they are not favorites on paper. Of course we can win if Xavi and the boys come up with the goods.

serghei

So far this season, the team is under what they showed last campaign. In defense the fuck-ups are more frequent by a lot.

FCBarca

Mike the Knife
I remain unconvinced on his long term future. Three things consistently irk me about Xavi as a coach.

1) Naive tactics - a refrain since he began, irrespective of squad or circumstances. Assessing opponents seems to be a unique skill that I suppose all the big clubs outsource to a dedicated team who break down videos, formations, stats etc and deliver a report to the coach. Coaches then vary on what extent they review/obsess and ultimately search for solutions to negate threats as well as exploit weaknesses. Here, I do not see Xavi elite. I see someone who can be upstaged by more experienced coaches who present rather straightforward deep block defenses that Xavi chronically appears to either be unprepared for or unable to overcome tactically. I expect a Barca side to find solutions but recognize this is predicated on individual talent by players & their coaches arming them with a game plan that will succeed. I also expect them to execute with a tempo & style we are accustomed to. How can someone who effused this so perfectly as a player is incapable to transmit it to his players? Especially in midfield where control of matches determine everything at Barca. I see great potential when things are clicking like all of us but I also cannot ignore that for 80 minutes vs Vigo and large stretches vs Mallorca we looked pedestrian. You can’t show up like you’re taking a stroll against Aguirre at Mallorca. So either he is incapable of finding solutions tactically or can’t transmit it to his players. Either way, I don’t see this changing long-term.

2) Preparation - I think few things irritate me more than a sloppy Barca side and I expected better from Xavi at this point. Far too often the team lacks the right mental attitude heading into an encounter. I was at the Inter match last season and I just remember the feeling that Inter played with more intent/passion for longer stretches. I see that far more often than I care to. Perhaps it has to do with his staff and needing a more hard man like Ten Cate as a number 2. Having your brother as the hard man, well Oscar does not leave an impression that he is succeeding in that. Perhaps it is something as simple as bringing in someone else to help with the mental aspect of competition but that edge is absent as a team. Yes, individuals like Gavi, Araujo et al have that edge but collectively they appear to lack the rhythm of a team precisely prepared to execute with vigor & intensity.

3) Midfield control - Too many examples now to count on odd rotations and use of squad but regardless you rarely see this Barca side show consistent midfield domination apart from the odd flash of brilliance from invidivual moments. As a system, it continues to lack fluidity and I am now convinced we’ll never see Xavi able to get his team playing that way consistently. Doesn’t mean he’s a bad coach, just not an elite one

JamDav1982

Xavi isnt elite and I dont think any top club would be interested in him if job came up based on what has done at Barca.

But he is still learning and needs to show progression this season tactically.

His persistence with Romeu etc feels like he is stuck in past at times and thinks has unique idea of Barca DNA/Spanish football.

mc_lovin

We changed 80% of our team in the last 2 years. We made significant changes this season as well. Give it time, the team's evolving nicely.

There's one club in the world right now that measures up to the forum's expectations. Rest is trash, eh?

ajnotkeith

We changed 80% of our team in the last 2 years. We made significant changes this season as well. Give it time, the team's evolving nicely.

There's one club in the world right now that measures up to the forum's expectations. Rest is trash, eh?
Not sure why you're liking this @serghei since according to you we will never ever overtake Madrid so might as well stop trying, they are just too mighty.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Home of Barca Fans