Xavi Hernández

Status
Not open for further replies.

FCBarca

Mike the Knife
hS9Ws.jpg

Raed

Dr. Raed St. Claire
I kept on wondering why Van der Sar moved to the middle of the goal before took Pedro's goal when I saw in the replay something sick Xavi did. Right before he made his assist to Pedro, he took the ball to the left with the inside of his foot, shifting his entire body left, before he passed the ball to the right with the outside of his foot. What that, he shifted every United player, including VDS to the left (his left) and allowed Pedro all the space in the world.

I am not sure if he is a genius, like he anticipated that, as much as it is just natural. Like, what makes me wonder is that, by moving the ball in to protect it, did he think of this? He had spotted Pedro a long time ago and planned this? Or is he just so used to passing and controlling the match that it just happens? I am not sure, I can never tell but a lot can be said about a play maker who makes a man marked forward free as opposed to a play maker who requires forwards to open up.

Hatem Ben Arfa

Immense game in the final by Xavi. My favourite player behind Messi. I just bought his shirt the other day.

He really deserved a goal in the final. He absolutely ran the game for Barca and kept our passing going. You have to go sit in Camp Nou and watch Xavi live to truly appreciate how great a player he is.

Metaphysical

Bomb Dropper
I kept on wondering why Van der Sar moved to the middle of the goal before took Pedro's goal when I saw in the replay something sick Xavi did. Right before he made his assist to Pedro, he took the ball to the left with the inside of his foot, shifting his entire body left, before he passed the ball to the right with the outside of his foot. What that, he shifted every United player, including VDS to the left (his left) and allowed Pedro all the space in the world.

I am not sure if he is a genius, like he anticipated that, as much as it is just natural. Like, what makes me wonder is that, by moving the ball in to protect it, did he think of this? He had spotted Pedro a long time ago and planned this? Or is he just so used to passing and controlling the match that it just happens? I am not sure, I can never tell but a lot can be said about a play maker who makes a man marked forward free as opposed to a play maker who requires forwards to open up.

he absolutely meant it. watch how he stares Pedro down, then looks away as he takes the ball left and shifts everything across. then bam, flicks the ball back out to Pedro who now has the two yards on Vidic he needs to get a shot off.

fucking genius.

BerkeleyBernie

he absolutely meant it. watch how he stares Pedro down, then looks away as he takes the ball left and shifts everything across. then bam, flicks the ball back out to Pedro who now has the two yards on Vidic he needs to get a shot off.

fucking genius.

Agreed. We all know that Xavi knows where his teammates are. He said something in an interview that was another "aha!" to me: that he is looking for space. What that means is that Xavi doesn't make a pass simply because a player is advanced and can receive it. He will make a pass when/where there is the best space/opportunity for his teammates to gain the best advantage.

Xavi could have released the ball to Pedro much earlier, and connected the pass easily enough, but at that point Pedro was much more closely marked. Credit Pedro for understanding this as well and creating the movement that created the space (by changing his run from out-in to in-out). It took both of them to make this gem (not to mention Messi and Villa drawing away other defenders, and the great start of this move by Busquets and Iniesta).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Home of Barca Fans