Xavi Hernández

Status
Not open for further replies.

BusiTheKing

I don't know which was worse, our defensive or offensive performance.

We seem to have lost the absolute basics of defensive awareness and disciplin. Covering spaces, tracking runs, coordinated pressing. They carved through us with the simplest of moves.

With the ball we look lost as well. We spent the greater part of our possession just passing it around between the first and second chain until we lost it and conceded a chance. It was comical honestly. We go in with this plan that apparently involves no preparation on how to deal with an actual competitive game situation. Just a vague idea of how to play. When that inevitably breaks down, we fall into this disjointed, confused football of improvised moves that no one seems to really believe in.

BusiTheKing

No shifts of play through the midfield.

No qualified combinations in the final third.

Not a single attempt at a through ball or a run to make it happen.

FCBarca

Mike the Knife
I expected our style of play to be at a different level by this point under Xavi. Understandably so many key new additions that it feels like another pre-season is needed to develop rhythm & understanding of playing together.

And winning is obviously better than dropping points but performance has to matter at Barca. We are not a fluid team in attack or defense, very chaotic buildups in attack & when trying to recover defending.

If 1v1 isn't working, combination play can dissect a lot of defenses - we saw it for years when Xavi was a player when it wasn't simply Leo taking everyone on. Team plays with personality of a warrior but a sloppy one

ajnotkeith

I expected our style of play to be at a different level by this point under Xavi. Understandably so many key new additions that it feels like another pre-season is needed to develop rhythm & understanding of playing together.

And winning is obviously better than dropping points but performance has to matter at Barca. We are not a fluid team in attack or defense, very chaotic buildups in attack & when trying to recover defending.

If 1v1 isn't working, combination play can dissect a lot of defenses - we saw it for years when Xavi was a player when it wasn't simply Leo taking everyone on. Team plays with personality of a warrior but a sloppy one
That's my view. We seem more like a team getting by through dedication and courage and dirty work rather than the superior tactical play we should be showing.

Gaudi

That feeling when you know we are not going to win anything in Europe for a loooong time. Easy group but we are completely dependent on a draw. First stronger opponent and we are out.
I completely don't understand Xavi idea? What is he trying to achieve? Out attack is static and slow, we don't attack the box at all, all we do is pass to the players foot and recycle. Our defence is also strange, some king of low zonal block with Lew standing 30 meters from the rest.

ajnotkeith

That feeling when you know we are not going to win anything in Europe for a loooong time. Easy group but we are completely dependent on a draw. First stronger opponent and we are out.
I completely don't understand Xavi idea? What is he trying to achieve? Out attack is static and slow, we don't attack the box at all, all we do is pass to the players foot and recycle. Our defence is also strange, some king of low zonal block with Lew standing 30 meters from the rest.
Finding decent replacement for Romeu will improve the team twenty fold. He is awful and a big reason why we keep looking so awful in possession and in defense.

Budget shouldn't have been spent on likes of Inigo when this problem was there and we've replaced Busquets with a guy who probably doesn't stand out much in Segunda.

Xavi should not have been allowed to make this signing.

Porque

That's my view. We seem more like a team getting by through dedication and courage and dirty work rather than the superior tactical play we should be showing.

There's a blind faith by some that are completely ignoring our horrible play of the past two years. And prefer to point to the exception of when we play well compared to the norm of when we played bad.

Not going to point fingers, but there were some who (correctly) pointed out Valverde's lack of play despite getting results, and yet act completely oblivious to Xavi being the same.

Fati_Future_BallonDor

Ecactly, everything looks so random 😂

Loki

Typical whiny bs. No one in february/march cares about autumn form. Many good teams who looked strong in CL knockout stages were abysmal in autumn. 4 of our best players are injured, we got 2 signings last second, the team needs time. Half of you wanted to get rid of Enrique by winter 14/15, when the team wasn't doing as good and rumours about an argue with Messi circled in the news. You never learn to evaluate the season at its end.
Xavi gave that team life, 2 years ago we'd have lost that game 0-3. Yesterday I saw a team fighting to win until the last second. Also I would like to see a team who trashes Porto easily in their own stadium. (And no, City isn't a valid example)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Home of Barca Fans