Xavi Hernández

Status
Not open for further replies.

klc123

From what I saw of the match so far, that was the problem (as it has been often this season). There was no patience in the opponent's half of the field, just stupid "direct" balls and standard godawful Alves crosses (14 total). The game looked like ManU hoofing the ball into the box, standard roulette football, just hoping a chance would go Barça's way, quantity over quality. Neymar winning 2 out of 6 take-ons. I'd rather Barça play "boring" tiki-taka and wear the opponent down than throw the damn ball away as soon as it was across the half-line.

Xavi did exactly what he was supposed to do, defend the ball and distribute to the open players. 100% pass completion. Don't blame him for others throwing the ball away to Atletico. It's not about "hunger," it's about being smart. "Acuity" and "focus," not "intensity." Intensity is for Atletico and teams that can't do what Barça can do. When Barça tries to play like someone they're not (well, maybe Dani fancies himself an EPL winger), they are always going to come up short. 78 failed passes, almost all of them medium/long balls forward. Wrong game plan, doomed from the start.

Agree so much with this post that I could marry you. Kudos, sums up exactly how I feel about what people are saying.
Barcelona could do with pressing more effectively, but that is down to management also. At the moment it seems like our players just run at the player with the ball. Watch how bayern press, it is intense, but it is also intelligent and methodical; they close down passing lanes and force the opponent into a bad pass.

With regards to xavi, I have absolutely no idea why he is always one of the first players to be blamed for any loss/poor performance. He may be getting old, but his role has never relied on pace, and he still puts in the mileage. As far as I'm concerned, xavi is simply there to help Barca keep the ball when we are pressured, and to give the ball to attackers when they are in space. He done those two things yesterday. It's not his fault that whenever he passed it to alves the ball was smashed 40+ yards up the field or lofted into the middle of the penalty area. It's also not his fault when Tata refuses to play a right winger, which causes the team to lack shape and width, resulting in even less space for him to work in. To top it off, when he made the pass of the game, neymar wasted it.

IMO you can blame players like Cesc and Alves to a degree, because even if that's what they were told to do, and it didn't suit them, they were still exceptionally poor. The main chunk of the blame HAS to go to tata, who chose the starting 11, chose to play players out of positions, chose to play direct with lots of crosses and ultimately chose our fate.

BerkeleyBernie

He rarelly does them these days

Because you can't make a pass that doesn't exist. Same reason Messi can't slalom run 8 players every time he touches the ball- the space isn't there when teams defend deep.

That pass happened on a counterattack when there was space before Atletico could park the bus again. If the space or run isn't there, Xavi won't make the pass (though, to be frank, if it would keep Alves from lofting up his horrible crosses, I'd much rather see Xavi try to slide one in than pass it to Alves).

Yep, Xavi and Messi, the former Maestros...don't hate the playah, hate the game.

klc123

why he was....

He rarelly does them these days

That is so short sighted.

Brb cortious is shit because he doesn't make as many great saves as he did before Simeone joined. Has nothing to do with the improved defence resulting in less shots on goal, right?

Xavi can't pass to players who aren't making runs and who aren't in space. One thing in a footballers arsenal that never degrades is their technical skill. Their fitness and speed will leave them, but Xavi was never fast to begin with, and he is still putting in good mileage every game.

Until there is a tactical change at barca, people will continue to call for the axe to Xavi, Iniesta and messi...

ManusXavi

You think it wouldn't be that difficult for Xavi's teammates to make movements (except for fatigue). At the same time Xavi should be taking the lead in telling the players to make runs and secondly he should be having more of a go at threading passes. Maybe that would motivate his teammates to make runs.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8I9TVezXNZo vs Inter Milan 2010. I've always liked this goal.

footyfan

Calma, calma
Because you can't make a pass that doesn't exist. Same reason Messi can't slalom run 8 players every time he touches the ball- the space isn't there when teams defend deep.

That pass happened on a counterattack when there was space before Atletico could park the bus again. If the space or run isn't there, Xavi won't make the pass (though, to be frank, if it would keep Alves from lofting up his horrible crosses, I'd much rather see Xavi try to slide one in than pass it to Alves).

Yep, Xavi and Messi, the former Maestros...don't hate the playah, hate the game.

That is so short sighted.

Brb cortious is shit because he doesn't make as many great saves as he did before Simeone joined. Has nothing to do with the improved defence resulting in less shots on goal, right?

Xavi can't pass to players who aren't making runs and who aren't in space. One thing in a footballers arsenal that never degrades is their technical skill. Their fitness and speed will leave them, but Xavi was never fast to begin with, and he is still putting in good mileage every game.

Until there is a tactical change at barca, people will continue to call for the axe to Xavi, Iniesta and messi...

This is patently untrue. There have been countless times over the last couple of seasons where Xavi has consciously ignored a pass into space with a player (typically Sanchez) making a great run. The space was there, the run was there, the pass wasn't there - there's a pause and it went to Alves or Iniesta.

One thing that footballers definitely lose is reactions. Xavi is much slower in his release of passes and that is undisputable.

Also re:intensity, just :facepalm: at the notion that Barca doesn't need it.

Last edited:

ManusXavi

is it crazy for me to think that Xavi doesn't make those passes because he is afraid they won't turn out and he doesn't want to have to defend?

Paganinisrvnge

I think that might be it too. Xavi was never an amazing defender but he could hold his own. Nowadays I'm absolutely terrified when any decent attacker is running toward him with the ball.

CatalinR10

This is patently untrue. There have been countless times over the last couple of seasons where Xavi has consciously ignored a pass into space with a player (typically Sanchez) making a great run. The space was there, the run was there, the pass wasn't there - there's a pause and it went to Alves or Iniesta.

this x 1000

I can't remember how many times I got pissed because someone was making a run , Xavi saw him but refused to make a through ball , rather played it safe.

But I guess it's more amazing that people call you short sighted for realising this :lol:

CatalinR10

2014-04-12_VIAJE_GRANADA_11-Optimized.v1397300892.JPG

Alarcón

One thing that footballers definitely lose is reactions. Xavi is much slower in his release of passes and that is undisputable.

Couldn't have said it better. Some people need to face the harsh reality that Xavi is simply not that good anymore. Blaming everyone but him for his lacklustre performances is silly.

I

instinct

I agree with you, guys. Xavi is perfect for controlling the game because his pass accuarcy is still unreal but Barca should play direct football without giving the opponent a chance to reorganize themselves. Therefore we should only use him when we want to have to be safe in passing in the last minutes of the game.

Armando929

Yeah its like the fighter that gets older. The opening for the big right hand is there but he doesn't have the reflexes anymore to pull the trigger on it anymore.

That's Xavi. Every now and then, we'll see moments of brilliance and he'll occasionally slot in a nice through ball. But he doesn't have the quick minded thinking and reflexes anymore to do it consistently.

BerkeleyBernie

Man, Xavi sucked today against Granada! Led Barça to a loss to a cellar team. All those useless sideways passes. Clearly the heart of everything wrong with Barça these days. We need the directness of Cesc.

:whistle2:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Home of Barca Fans