Xavi Hernández

Status
Not open for further replies.
F

Flavia

The captains were elected by the players. Xavi, Iniesta, Messi and Busi, on this order. Info from Esport3.

I

instinct

The captains were elected by the players. Xavi, Iniesta, Messi and Busi, on this order. Info from Esport3.

Logical choice but I expect Mascherano to lead the team on the pitch since he is the most charismatic guy in the team and I suppose that Lucho likes those players.

barcanuck

Xavi: "I ended the season in a bad way. Didn't feel useful when I was benched at Barça and ESP. I decided to quit and start something else"

So he played 47 matches last year and more minutes in la liga then under Tito. Yeah you got benched in the last match vs Atletico big whoop. Xavi played both CL matches vs Atletico and got owned.

F

Flavia

BuR6mBYIAAAoYlW.png:large

BerkeleyBernie

Xavi: "I ended the season in a bad way. Didn't feel useful when I was benched at Barça and ESP. I decided to quit and start something else"

So he played 47 matches last year and more minutes in la liga then under Tito. Yeah you got benched in the last match vs Atletico big whoop. Xavi played both CL matches vs Atletico and got owned.

The question is: is the team that was fielded without Xavi any better than with Xavi, or even worse? This is not to say Xavi doesn't need to be phased out, but what was available at the time? While Spain has younger players (which Del Bosque did not really use) to play against highly athletic pressing or counterattacking teams, Barça (without Thiago) did not.

And I'd hardly say Xavi was "owned" vs Atletico. The teams were basically even throughout the season, and Godin would have scored his header with or without Xavi on the field. Xavi's skillset just doesn't add anything when playing against a team that sits back, and neither presses nor allows space to penetrate.

F

Flavia

He was also in his absolute prime, and had eto'o, henry and messi upfront. Not that those affected that number :pep:

shogunruax

"When I think about all I have won with Spain and Barcelona and all they great players I have played with - it is impossible for me to have any regrets," he said.

"Maybe one small regret is that I never got to play with Paul Scholes - but I was never going to leave Barcelona and he was never going to leave Manchester United."

Imagine him and scholes together :worthy:

I

instinct

Fake quote but hell Scholes - Xavi. Add Pirlo and Iniesta :worthy: No defensive workrate but whatever. I'd concede 10 goals per game just to see them playing together :worthy:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Home of Barca Fans