Xavi Hernández

Status
Not open for further replies.

Icarium

Lifestealer
Iniesta football is the best kind of it. Most lovable. He is the most talented spanish player ever as xavi says. If i had to chose between xavi messi and iniesta i would chose iniesta. I have never seen a player who plays as good as iniesta with ball at his feet. If you add goal scoring trait to him he will be the best player alongside messi in the history of football.

But xavi is a true genius. And he is the best 'midfielder' too. No doubt about it. Xavi-Iniesta-Messi best trio in world football nothing can come close to it.

DonAK

President of FC Barcelona
I wouldn't even let my enemy go through the pain of choosing between The Don and The Maestro.

dakt

I wouldn't even let my enemy go through the pain of choosing between The Don and The Maestro.

Yeah, it's like choosing between your own kids. :D
but
the Don still wins :iniesta:

F

Flavia

I choose Xavi, hands down. Iniesta is close, but Xavi is the best midfielder I've ever seen.

Richard.H

Ya xavi can have an incredibly huge influence on a game without even being really noticeable. That's just amazing. The transparency he has with the tiki taka style is unmatched.

In addition, here is my favorite match of his in the barca shirt:

Last edited:

zanela

Something else occurred to me: with Xavi playing more on the left of the midfield in "Iniesta's position," he's less likely to dump the ball out to Alves on the touchline just to circulate play (where Alves would then proceed to send in an aimless cross). So less dead plays on the right, and Xavi will still spot Alves' runs in behind (like today), which are far more likely to be productive.

I have always wanted to ask you: How did you go from admiring one of Barca's greatest MF ever to ...becoming a Pedro disciple? :shakeshead:

As for the on-going discussion, I refuse to choose. Xaviesta for me, is one entity. And I've always perceived them that way.

tumblr_lso4luVSy01r1o2xc.gif

Sumlit

San Claudio Bravo
Xavi is the best midfielder I ever saw play. Iniesta is a magician and definitely not that far off, but I'll take Xavi.

I have a bunch of games stored in my PC from 2008 to 2012 and watch them sometimes to reminisce. Watching Xavi in his prime is something to behold. That 08/09 season Xavi was ridiculous.

dakt

As for the on-going discussion, I refuse to choose. Xaviesta for me, is one entity. And I've always perceived them that way.

Haha, gold! Best one so far and proved by gif! There's no other but accept "the one entity" theory.
This gif should enter the hall of fame. Into my bookmark.

Richard.H

I have always wanted to ask you: How did you go from admiring one of Barca's greatest MF ever to ...becoming a Pedro disciple? :shakeshead:

f9dea2813e58c55b382a6134f5aa50e3.gif

BerkeleyBernie

Yeah, I absolutely love that GIF.

As to the other question: I'm not a "Pedro disciple." I just found the Neymar Fanboyism/Pedro Hate annoying. Most of the hate directed at Pedro failed to take into account the large majority of the game when Barça was in possession and Pedro wasn't directly involved. You can fault Pedro for some finishes where he should have done better, but not for his executing what was asked of him, and generally being where he was asked to be, and playing smart in the Barça's risk-averse style in which he had been trained. In a way, I like Xavi for the same reason I like Pedro- both are entirely committed to playing as a Barça "group mind," which is what attracted me to Barça in the first place- not focused on individuals, but building goals as a team, supporting each other. Though a good dribbler (as we can still see in how well he advances the ball up the field, losing markers on the counterattack), Pedro rarely tries to take on players in the final third, because it really wasn't necessary in the Pep system. Pedro Hate is similar to Xavi Hate- Xavi's "he always passes it sideways" emerged when opponents adapted to Pep's Barça, and we tried to wedge Cesc (and then Neymar) into a system that was neither the old one, nor something different. Pedro's "decline," like Xavi's, is in large part due to the fact that opponents don't play Barça the way they used to- and Barça doesn't play the way it used to, either.

The flip side is I always felt Barça's flow came to a standstill any time Cesc and Neymar touched the ball- capable of producing individual moments, but more like a screaming guitar solo rather than improvisational jazz. In retrospect, it (along with the static Messi) was the beginning of the end of Pep's Barça. Pedro is still the better connective player around the box than Neymar/Munir/Sandro (though Neymar has improved his touch a *lot* in his close wall pass play), but, unless Barça is playing with the kind of fluid team movement we saw in the Granada game (for the first time this season), that skill, like Xavi's distribution, is a dinosaur.

I'm coming to think Lucho's idea with playing the three attackers more centrally together is actually to abandon the midfield game that has been Barça's staple during the Pep era. He wants a 3v4 situation, and figures that those three (Neymar, Suarez, Messi) should be able to break down four defenders; midfield not necessary except to supply. Pedro's been more of stand-in for Suarez than playing his game (I actually think Sandro makes a better #9, from what I've seen); there isn't really a fit for a short connective forward in that system. But given the game against Granada, we may see more than one strategy in Lucho's playbook, and times he will decide to play "Pep Barça" against certain opponents. In that system, I think Pedro still has plenty to offer.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Home of Barca Fans