Xavi Hernández

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mido

Hey guys, I've been reading this forum for a while now. It really strikes me this season that we didn't give Xavi much credit for his performances. He nearly always delivers good/very good performances.

I do approve Enrique's style of play and I think he's a great tactician. But there were 5 to 7 games this season where Xavi clearly had to play. I would have let him in around the 60th-65th minute against City for instance to have more control on the game.

Another question that I ask myself is why did Enrique align Iniesta---Xavi only 3 times this season?! ( out of 38 games !) I like what Rakitic is doing and he is very important to cover our attacks no doubt about it.But can#t we put up Iniesta and Xavi in the same midfield against teams that defend a lot?

Anyway, to cut a long story short, I still believe that Xai has a lot to bring to the table and it's really frustrating to see such an amazing player being benched.

L

linetty

He doesn't look comfortable in this a bit more direct style. I think a player like Pogba beside Rakitic could be fine.

barcanuck

28 passes @ 78.6% in 65 mins. Poor guy needs to play on fresh camp nou pitch not the potato fields! Lucho should of played him vs Malaga and sat him today grrr.

G

Gasgas

He doesn't look comfortable in this a bit more direct style. I think a player like Pogba beside Rakitic could be fine.
Yes :dance:

Hey guys, I've been reading this forum for a while now. It really strikes me this season that we didn't give Xavi much credit for his performances. He nearly always delivers good/very good performances.

I do approve Enrique's style of play and I think he's a great tactician. But there were 5 to 7 games this season where Xavi clearly had to play. I would have let him in around the 60th-65th minute against City for instance to have more control on the game.

Another question that I ask myself is why did Enrique align Iniesta---Xavi only 3 times this season?! ( out of 38 games !) I like what Rakitic is doing and he is very important to cover our attacks no doubt about it.But can#t we put up Iniesta and Xavi in the same midfield against teams that defend a lot?

Anyway, to cut a long story short, I still believe that Xai has a lot to bring to the table and it's really frustrating to see such an amazing player being benched.
Xavi-inesta like in the classico where the duo was classically overrun?
Due to their characterstics we cant play both really

BerkeleyBernie

28 passes @ 78.6% in 65 mins. Poor guy needs to play on fresh camp nou pitch not the potato fields! Lucho should of played him vs Malaga and sat him today grrr.

Definitely not a game where Xavi could have had much of a positive impact (especially without Busquets, and clear tactical instructions to the team to be direct and bypass the midfield), but possibly prevent a negative one. Rafinha has better skills for this type of situation, but is much more of a positional liability.

I think Lucho played Xavi for some/all of these reasons:

1) to give Xavi a run out and Iniesta a rest
2) to have some maturity on the pitch
3) unwilling to trust Rafinha/Roberto until a lead established

BerkeleyBernie

Not so much the style as this particular game, which was clearly intentional hoof ball to deal with the miserable pitch (the least technical game I've ever seen Barça play, TBH). I don't think Lucho would have started Xavi if he had other options, but he's looking ahead for the next couple of weeks.

barcanuck

Definitely not a game where Xavi could have had much of a positive impact (especially without Busquets, and clear tactical instructions to the team to be direct and bypass the midfield), but possibly prevent a negative one. Rafinha has better skills for this type of situation, but is much more of a positional liability.

I think Lucho played Xavi for some/all of these reasons:

1) to give Xavi a run out and Iniesta a rest
2) to have some maturity on the pitch
3) unwilling to trust Rafinha/Roberto until a lead established

Spot on. I just think Xavi needs to play home games mostly where the pitch is perfectly manicured. He just isn't suited for the tactics and potatoes.

Mido

I am not into false rumours and gossip at all, but does Enrique, actually, have a personal problem with Xavi? I can hardly understand what Enrique is doing with him. Mark my words : we will, without any doubt, need Xavi for the possible upcoming games in the Champions League. I can't figure out how an Iniesta--Rakitic midfield would fare against teams such as Bayern, Real and even Chelsea.

Let's put things straight here : when Iniesta and Xavi played against Real Madrid we had some defensive difficulties. But when Enrique subbed off Xavi and Suarez, I , personally, had the feeling that Barca had lost it's spirit.

Don't get me wrong, Rakitic is very useful against teams such as Atletico as he moves very well, he lacks technique but he is definitely clever.

Wake up folks, abandoning El Maestro would be a massive mistake! :xavi: :barca flag:

Barcadub

I don't think people should be too harsh on him.

He's most likely in his last season with Barcelona. He's 35 years old and he's giving everything he has got, on and off the pitch. He deserves titles this season and I'm sure he will get them.

He's coming to the end. Like everyone does at this age.

Barcaman

Administrator
Staff member
@ Mido

Atleti are La Liga champions and CL finalist. How did we fare last season with Xaviesta vs. them? Or season before that vs. Bayern?
Wake up, it ain't 2011.

BerkeleyBernie

I don't think people should be too harsh on him.

He's most likely in his last season with Barcelona. He's 35 years old and he's giving everything he has got, on and off the pitch. He deserves titles this season and I'm sure he will get them.

He's coming to the end. Like everyone does at this age.

I'm a huge Xavi fan, and still prefer to see him start in some games. But these conditions/tactics wouldn't have suited him even in his best years.

Ini8

¡Gr?*cies Xavi!
@RonWaxman
My sources in Spain are telling me that Xavi Hernandez will join David Villa & Frank Lampard at #NYCFC this summer. #MLS

Status
Not open for further replies.

Home of Barca Fans