Xavi Hernández

Status
Not open for further replies.

Autumn

I don't get it. He's amazing every game he plays this season and yet there's always this assumed "he's old and not the same" attitude that still pervades. Look at him play! I don't care what his age says, there's still no one like him.

It's too bad we're entering this age of obsessing over potential and young players instead of appreciating the far superior older players. Xavi is still better than any <25 midfielder out there. Sure he's not going to get better, but I doubt the vast majority of young midfielders out there that the media and this forum gush over will ever reach anywhere near his level.

An amazing game from an amazing player today, period. :)

BBZ8800

I don't get it. He's amazing every game he plays this season and yet there's always this assumed "he's old and not the same" attitude that still pervades. Look at him play! I don't care what his age says, there's still no one like him.

It's too bad we're entering this age of obsessing over potential and young players instead of appreciating the far superior older players. Xavi is still better than any <25 midfielder out there. Sure he's not going to get better, but I doubt the vast majority of young midfielders out there that the media and this forum gush over will ever reach anywhere near his level.

For me, Xavi in his prime was the best midfielder ever, and he is my favorite Barca's player ever.
But, this is not the same Xavi from 2005, 2008 or 2011.

Whenever he plays this Season, it is usually at Nou Camp against midtable/lowtable teams.

In those matches, Xavi is usually still good enough.
In away matches or against stronger teams at home, we have more problems when he is on the field.

He is a good squad player currently, but this is not the same Xavi when he was the best midfielder in the world.

BerkeleyBernie

+1

I don't see how anyone could exclude him from the top 3 MOTM today. Underappreciated for his contribution today.

anguy

He's NOT amazing in EVERY game he plays. Today he was good, but there are games when he is anonymous or slows down the play. Also his defensive contribution today is lower compared to other players in team.

barcanuck

Awesome game after having that piss poor game where he has just 25 passes, he was back to his best!

65 passes @ 92%
4 Key Passes
Assist
2 for 5 on Through Balls
2 for 4 on Long Balls

Beauty of a stat line for today!

Asylum15

I want Xavi to retire at Barca, its pointless for him to leave, he is already rich for life and is a family type person who loves Barcelona.

His career is perfect, would look betrer if he ends it here like Puyol rather than at some desert club.

We should offer him a role in the coaching staff IMO.

He's got such a high level of game intelligence, extremely analytical.

DrPepper

For me, Xavi in his prime was the best midfielder ever, and he is my favorite Barca's player ever.
But, this is not the same Xavi from 2005, 2008 or 2011.

Whenever he plays this Season, it is usually at Nou Camp against midtable/lowtable teams.

In those matches, Xavi is usually still good enough.
In away matches or against stronger teams at home, we have more problems when he is on the field.

He is a good squad player currently, but this is not the same Xavi when he was the best midfielder in the world.

+1

The incredible thing is that Xavi still looks like a world class player and yet is very far from prime Xavi in 08-12.

He used to do insane turns, feints and dribbles to evade pressure and keep the ball in the tightest of spaces. He isn't able to do it to the extent he used to anymore. Whether it is due to Guardiola's departure, different system, his age, physical decline or whatever is irrelevant.

For me, he's the best midfielder of all time as well. No one comes close to him, except maybe Iniesta :D. And forget players like Zidane, scoring in World Cup Finals doesn't make you the greatest of all time.

Probably one of the most dominant individual performances I've ever seen. Was there ever a player to get four assists in one match at the Bernabeu?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Home of Barca Fans