Xavi Hernández

Status
Not open for further replies.

fergus90

Don't care about him coaching another European club (would even be a shame if we of all people don't put trust in him first). What's important is that he worked as a coach for two years and managed a group of people. Unlike, let's say, Pirlo. Apart from that he knows how to articulate himself and convey his ideas, the videos from Al Sadd are fantastic (and that's how far our insight goes).

Most importantly he's (superficially for now) well in line with the new trend of coaching (Social intelligence+obsessive work on the details). The big question for me is how modern his training regimen is.

Yup, fully agree with this.

serghei

I expect him to be very demanding and treat everyone fairly. If he is that, and he means what he says in interviews, Pique and Busi's days are numbered. He could play them at first, just to convince himself, but I expect them to play less and less as time passes.

Morten

I expect him to be very demanding and treat everyone fairly. If he is that, and he means what he says in interviews, Pique and Busi's days are numbered. He could play them at first, just to convince himself, but I expect them to play less and less as time passes.

Bench Busquets? Not sure about that, he's the type of DM Xavi probably wants in his team, and its not like there are good options available right now.

serghei

Bench Busquets? Not sure about that, he's the type of DM Xavi probably wants in his team, and its not like there are good options available right now.

Depends on Busi's level. He could play better under Xavi, in fact I'm pretty sure he will.

Gari

Xavi: - Remember the first training session with Guardiola?
- The first thing he said to us: "We need to run more!"
They interviewed him at home, he is very modest in everyday life.

Messi983

Does anyone know how he was doing at Al Sadd in terms of rotating the team?

Sure, we don't have much depth but most of our "starters" also don't deserve to start every game so why not give squad/bench players a fair chance to prove themselves?

I'd like to see every player (even those who most of us have written off) getting a fresh start and see if they can do better in Xavi's system.

Make 2-3 changes in the lineup for every game (one in every line to not ruin the chemistry too much) to 1. keep freshness in the team to avoid injuries and 2. keep players in at least some match rhytm so they'll be prepared to step up if/when injuries or suspensions will happen. You can't leave a player on the bench for 6 games and then throw him on in a big game when you don't have other options and expect him to do anything important. You're allowed to use 5 subs, do that in every game. Further, bench players who have underperformed in previous game(s) and award those who have done well coming off the bench with occasional start to see if they can also do well in that role.

Of course all this is theory, will be tougher in reality to come into the team missing key players due to injuries or struggling for fitness. But at the same time this should allow Xavi to look at the alternatives.

Bobo32

I do too, I don't think he'll have any nostalghia and I do think he is someone these players will trust and listen to. I think they'll play better both because of a better system and because of higher motivation, and I think they'll play until Xavi finds very good options. Then I think maybe Xavi will phase them out sooner than people really want, I think they'll convince even some of their worst critics. Let's see.

JohnN

We have a young squad apart from a few veterans. It would be nice if he run them to the ground for a month or so, so we can get some ergency back in our game. I am tired of lethargic passing around.

FC B

It was not long time ago as a matter fact not even half a year since Xavi praised Busquets as the best DM in the world, what are we talking about then?

Pardon me, the best DM in history : "Sergio Busquets is a must in any squad. He dominates the field like ? huff," former Barcelona midfielder Xavi has told La Vanguardia.

"He is the best defensive midfielder in history, I would say, and yet at Barcelona, he is judged and criticized. The environment sometimes crushes the players and it cannot be like that. Busquets has suffered it and we have all suffered with him."

Last edited:

i_bleed_blaugrana

The biggest thing I want to highlight with his time at Al-Sadd is how difficult it is to get players of that quality playing the sort of football they were playing, considering just how different tactically they were before he arrived.

In terms of lack of experience in Europe, what I would say is that if he can get the results against the likes of Real and Atleti, then we can ride that sort of momentum and form into Europe that can help overcome this being new territory for him. And in all fairness, it isnt like he hasnt managed and won some high pressure games for Al-Sadd in knockout tournaments. Sure the quality is clearly non-comparable but the way you go about doing well in those tournaments, the preparation and training, that is all the same. And he has trophies (read that as plural) in these knockout tournaments that are similar in structure and format to the CL.

He knows La Liga well and considering that quite a few teams rn here are employing the same sort of brexit-ball they were running in Qatar, I think he has the tools to at least stabilize our La Liga form which for right now, is most important. We need to focus first on dominating Spain first before we worry about Europe so I think the waffle about not being in Europe is kinda overrated when you really think on it and really look at what he has been doing in Qatar, biases on the quality aside.

Bobo32

The biggest thing I want to highlight with his time at Al-Sadd is how difficult it is to get players of that quality playing the sort of football they were playing, considering just how different tactically they were before he arrived.

In terms of lack of experience in Europe, what I would say is that if he can get the results against the likes of Real and Atleti, then we can ride that sort of momentum and form into Europe that can help overcome this being new territory for him. And in all fairness, it isnt like he hasnt managed and won some high pressure games for Al-Sadd in knockout tournaments. Sure the quality is clearly non-comparable but the way you go about doing well in those tournaments, the preparation and training, that is all the same. And he has trophies (read that as plural) in these knockout tournaments that are similar in structure and format to the CL.

He knows La Liga well and considering that quite a few teams rn here are employing the same sort of brexit-ball they were running in Qatar, I think he has the tools to at least stabilize our La Liga form which for right now, is most important. We need to focus first on dominating Spain first before we worry about Europe so I think the waffle about not being in Europe is kinda overrated when you really think on it and really look at what he has been doing in Qatar, biases on the quality aside.

Yes that argument has looked very stupid to me from the start.
The tough thing is to arrive in the middle of a season. I don't think it's optimal, but maybe it can paradoxically be, because surely everyone will give him the benefit of the doubt until at least this time next year, giving him 12 months instead of maybe 6 months if he had come in summer.

clemente

The main problem I think isn't lack of experience, it's that he will have to manage his friends. No way someone like Pique is gonna take him seriously, I think Xavi shouldn't manage until Alba, Busi, Pique leave.

Andresito

Staff member
The main problem I think isn't lack of experience, it's that he will have to manage his friends. No way someone like Pique is gonna take him seriously, I think Xavi shouldn't manage until Alba, Busi, Pique leave.

I don't think that's an issue. If Xavi feels there are better options on the bench, he will use them.

Bobo32

Why not?
He surely respects him both as a person and his footballing knowledge. Xavi was a captain to Pique in the team. Pique seems to be in line with Xavis vision more or less.
Let's see.

BBZ8800

Xavi has spent almost his whole life at this club and knows what pressure will be on him better than anyone of us. But from his standpoint coming in now is better than being hired a few months ago. People have basically no expectations for this season besides finishing top 4 so he'll have next 8 months to set up his system, know the players and then start to prepare next season together with Laporta, Alemany&Co.

He has just bought at least 2 seasons at a club:
1. this season, if he improves over Koeman = it's a win
2. if he'll suck the same as Koeman = we'll say: he is young, he didn't have a preseason, he didn't buy new players, give him some time (either way we don't have other options), the next season will be better

And then in the next season:
= as long as he stays in top4 and if his football will have any sense, he won't get sacked

So, the only way to get sacked is to have a season's start like Koeman this season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Home of Barca Fans