Xavi Hernández

Status
Not open for further replies.

Porque

This Sergi Roberto to midfield stuff comes out every pre season and every managerial change.

Roberto is pretty well connected with the Spanish press, at this stage I believe it is his agent pushing these stories.

With 3 other Spanish internationals (and two under 19 years old) I hardly think Xavi would push Roberto as one of his midfield starters. But he is a goodhand for rotation and was decent there this season until the emergance of Gavi.

FinBarcelonafan

This Sergi Roberto to midfield stuff comes out every pre season and every managerial change.

Roberto is pretty well connected with the Spanish press, at this stage I believe it is his agent pushing these stories.

With 3 other Spanish internationals (and two under 19 years old) I hardly think Xavi would push Roberto as one of his midfield starters. But he is a goodhand for rotation and was decent there this season until the emergance of Gavi.

Roberto ain't what he used to be. 2016 version would be our best RB and good midfielder. He's been going downhill the past few years.

serghei

Good comment. If Roberto gets his fitness back up a bit, he's good/decent for rotation, but his salary was way too high, and without a massive cut (we're talking 60% at a minimum), no way we should extend him.

Personally, there are too many ifs here for a player that wasn't all that even in good form and while younger. I'd let him go, especially since some of the players coming up in his position are potentially top-class, something Roberto never was for us.

Xavi should be careful on whom he places his trust. Some Barca players are simply past it and not worth investing in anymore. I don't demand from him to arrive at this conclusion before seeing them in training with his own eyes, but once he does, he has to quickly discard them.

Last edited:

mc_lovin

Subbing in Roberto instead of Puig vs Celta would have been an actual improvement. That's the role he should have in this squad and I don't necessarily think we can find a much better option for that.

FinBarcelonafan

Good comment. If Roberto gets his fitness back up a bit, he's good/decent for rotation, but his salary was way too high, and without a massive cut (we're talking 60% at a minimum), no way we should extend him.

Personally, there are too many ifs here for a player that wasn't all that even in good form and while younger. I'd let him go, especially since some of the players coming up in his position are potentially top-class, something Roberto never was for us.

Xavi should be careful on whom he places his trust. Some Barca players are simply past it and not worth investing in anymore. I don't demand from him to arrive at this conclusion before seeing them in training with his own eyes, but once he does, he has to quickly discard them.

Good point on the salary. Probably key. Just not worth his salary.

ajnotkeith

We probably won't have any money to buy backups or rotation players for a while so I would extend him if he takes a big cut, big if.

Jadentheman

Training? Xavi should have seen it in past matches.

KingLeo10

His CL and LL performances from 2017-2021 should be plenty of evidence.

Pep came in and got rid of R10, Deco, and co. right off the bat without any "I want to see what they're like in training". I mean, we're talking about R10 FFS.

Roberto has to go and there's no two ways about it. Unless he's willing to play for 1-2 million a year or something really cheap. Then, he can stay as a bench option. But even then, I don't like his meekness.

Messigician

His CL and LL performances from 2017-2021 should be plenty of evidence.

Pep came in and got rid of R10, Deco, and co. right off the bat without any "I want to see what they're like in training". I mean, we're talking about R10 FFS.

Roberto has to go and there's no two ways about it. Unless he's willing to play for 1-2 million a year or something really cheap. Then, he can stay as a bench option. But even then, I don't like his meekness.

Xavi has already demanded Roberto is renewed so negotiations will resume this week

serghei

Xavi has already demanded Roberto is renewed so negotiations will resume this week

Even if we assume that is true, Laporta won't do it if the terms aren't good for the club. Roberto has to drop his demands in that case. Roberto was going to be renewed before Xavi came, but his wage demands didn't meet the club's offer so the negotiations stalled IIRC.

We'll see what happens, but some of the rumors don't make sense. If Roberto is to be renewed, then why is he demanding Thiago? Some of these are probably bullshit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Home of Barca Fans