Xavi Hernández

Status
Not open for further replies.

Porque

Feel that it's somewhat the opposite.

This setup looked terrible when Atletico started pressing high and putting numbers forward. Equally in the 2nd half today when Madrid started pressing and throwing numbers forward they looked better and got a little consolation at the end.

However the motivation level of the players today was outstanding, even Busi was running and fighting for balls, it's hard to replicate that vs Espanyol or Valladolid. For me that's the biggest reason for the win, we played with a very high intensity and desire that we have to keep going with.

Think you hit the nail on the head in the second paragraph. Against Atleti we dropped the intensity. Or rather didn'tatch when Atleti raised theirs.

Today Madrid never matched ours, and we probably still win with a 433, perhaps score more?

As for Man UTD (@Barcilliant), I reckon we go for this away certainly to try and maintain more control. Maybe even at home too.

We can't really match Man UTD in an end to end shootout, that's for sure.

serghei

United is a completely different game, and our slow veterans (Busi), and our slow kids (especially Pedri) will have to rise to the challenge. Gavi will always put up a fight and compete in every duel, and Dembele will always win duels in the wing, and Araujo will always be a physical beast, and Lewa knows how to score goals.

So we have weapons of our own for sure, but also some players who have issues when the pace of the game is elevated and opponents are consistently breathing down their neck. But United is not without faults either. I expect a competitive tie, decided by 1-2 goals at most.

kattanib

Think you hit the nail on the head in the second paragraph. Against Atleti we dropped the intensity. Or rather didn'tatch when Atleti raised theirs.

Today Madrid never matched ours, and we probably still win with a 433, perhaps score more?

As for Man UTD (@Barcilliant), I reckon we go for this away certainly to try and maintain more control. Maybe even at home too.

Exactly, control and hypnotize but we can only pull games like these if everyone is fit because honestly some individual brilliance from Pedri, Lewa, Busquets and Aruajo that cannot be fulfilled by any other player in case they get injured.

kattanib

United is a completely different game, and our slow veterans (Busi), and our slow kids (especially Pedri) will have to rise to the challenge. Gavi will always put up a fight and compete in every duel, and Dembele will always win duels in the wing, and Araujo will always be a physical beast, and Lewa knows how to score goals.

So we have weapons of our own for sure, but also some players who have issues when the pace of the game is elevated and opponents are consistently breathing down their neck. But United is not without faults either. I expect a competitive tie, decided by 1-2 goals at most.

Dont play their game (high tempo) and let them adapt to your game (control) just like today

JamDav1982

You massively over play how slow Pedri is an how much a negative that is. He was class today and isnt as slow as you think. He is sometimes a bit relaxed though.

United are not the hugely quality side that is made out.

Barca have more than enough to beat them.

Busi is an issue and Bruno will probably play off him but that is on Barca to try and counteract.

jamrock

Seems to be finding his best XI at the business end of the season, just needs a bit of breathing room, mistakes will be made but he's a young coach.

ajnotkeith

It is very reminiscent of the 4-0 from last year for me and won for similar reasons also, imo. Would add we drew with Galatasaray the week before and were bad, just like we played bad the week before this game vs Atletico. History tends to repeat itself for unclear reasons.

As you said the tactics probably didn't have that much impact, everyone was just on it and raring at the bit to knock the hell out of Madrid whilst they were limp and never got off the starting blocks. That is one thing Xavi is strong at, he can really motivate the players and get them to believe in him no matter what.

The biggest takeaway for me here is that the players like Busi, Pedri etc who lack intensity at times CAN play like that. Busi was covering great and sprinting to get back every counter, yet doesn't do that regularly in league games/CL. Why? Does it change just because it's Madrid?

Xavi should recognise this and get this level of motivation out of them for every game. Then we can really grow as a team.

JamDav1982

Madrid didn't play high tempo at all. Atletico did after the first 25 mins (I'd say not as high as PL tempo but close) and we didn't match it.

I really dont think Utd will press Barca in way Atletico did unless they are behind and feel need to change it.

Their player just are not the same.

Cant see Bruno, Erisken pressing backed by Casimero or Martial pressing like a monster at CF.

kattanib

Madrid didn't play high tempo at all. Atletico did after the first 25 mins (I'd say not as high as PL tempo but close) and we didn't match it.

True and valid points. Today early on it seemed as if De Jong was giving Gavi some instructions so hopefully Xavi learned few things from the Athletico game and addressed it today

JamDav1982

Xavi is still learning also.

Would hope he looked at Atletico game and tweaked a few things but very few teams will press Barca like that or even have player with physical capacity to do it.

te amo barca

Blaugrana al vent
I really dont think Utd will press Barca in way Atletico did unless they are behind and feel need to change it.

Their player just are not the same.

Cant see Bruno, Erisken pressing backed by Casimero or Martial pressing like a monster at CF.

Yeah they're going to sit back and counter just like they did vs City.

serghei

Xavi is still learning also.

Would hope he looked at Atletico game and tweaked a few things but very few teams will press Barca like that or even have player with physical capacity to do it.

Good point, Atletico at home can be pretty great at pressing high, as did vs City last season in CL.

freetocan

In my opinion, Busquet is very slow and almost done, Lewa should have been changed at least 15 min before end of match, as it was clearly nowhere towards the end of game and seemed to be very tired. Ansu Fati should have been coming in earlier than 92 min.
There is no doubt, Lewa is good for us but personally, I do not see him useful more than another season. At Bayern he was scoring like crazy.
If we get rid of Feran Torres and Eric Garcia and this transfer window, it would be ideal. Neither one has quality to play for Barca.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Home of Barca Fans