Yusuf Demir

MTL_Barca

In Spain first teams and their B/reserve teams are considered almost like independent teams so clubs can't send down players registered for the first team to their B team, not even for a game or two to give players recovering from injuries some match fitness which is possible in all other big leagues AFAIK. I guess it's understandable because Segunda B (Primera RFEF) is not really a reserve league and teams like Barca B, RM Castilla and Villarreal B competing there mostly have much bigger resources than other teams in the division. It could be seen as an advantage for bigger clubs if we could send down likes of recovering Pedri or Ansu to play a game or two against Segunda B oppositions. Mostly just in home games though as I doubt we'd risk them playing on bad pitches in away games.

Yeah my guess would be that it has something to do with them being able to play 2nd division football, not sure how it works in other countries but in Germany reserve teams can't proceed further than 3rd for example. Every league probably has their own unique rules when it comes to stuff like that.

But i agree it's kinda dumb we can't even send down a guy like Demir who clearly isn't an established first team player yet based on his minutes so far. (and him just being 18)

Last edited:

delancey

It's La Liga, there is not much logic here. :)

In Spain first teams and their B/reserve teams are considered almost like independent teams so clubs can't send down players registered for the first team to their B team, not even for a game or two to give players recovering from injuries some match fitness which is possible in all other big leagues AFAIK. I guess it's understandable because Segunda B (Primera RFEF) is not really a reserve league and teams like Barca B, RM Castilla and Villarreal B competing there mostly have much bigger resources than other teams in the division. It could be seen as an advantage for bigger clubs if we could send down likes of recovering Pedri or Ansu to play a game or two against Segunda B oppositions. Mostly just in home games though as I doubt we'd risk them playing on bad pitches in away games.

It's another thing when promoting players from B teams to the first teams. Most clubs wants (and need to due to financial restrictions) to develop their youngsters so La Liga is not preventing clubs from doing that and limiting their chances to promote from within. But yeah, I think there should be a way for clubs to send players to their B teams, especially younger ones (let's say U21) who don't play enough in the first team even if they're registered there.

That said, in summer we've had an option to register Yusuf as a Barca B player (which I don't think would be a problem for him to accept as he would surely prefer to play regularly there than warm first team bench) but for whatever reason we decided to register him for the first team instead (which I've said at the time was probably a bad move) and have now wasted (at least) 6 months of his development.

Similar story with Collado who was first promoted with a thought of going on loan but rejected that to stay and later we couldn't register him for Barca B anymore nor for the first team. The difference is he's a few years older than Demir and too good for 3rd tier football but probably not good enough for even our current first team. With all injuries he could've at least gotten a chance though but now we can't register him as a first team player again in January even if we'd want. So it's up to him to have a good loan spell at Granada and maybe convince Xavi to give him another chance next (pre)season but my guess is he'll be sold in summer.
Interesting. I fully agree with allowing U-21 players who are registered in La Liga to be allowed to play in the B-team in order to regain match fitness and experience. This current rule imo holds youth talent back if they are registered with the A-team but only receive a few minutes due to whatever circumstance. Salary caps, spending caps, registration rules, et al, have good intentions but unfortunately make La Liga less competitive.

The way I see it, football clubs should be seen as a business, which they essentially are, regardless of whether they are for profit or not, or entertain a membership model. Taking out loans in order to generate future value is a cornerstone of accounting, and every single business does it. Another point that grates on my nerves is how La Liga rules force its clubs into taking deals that put them at a disadvantage for 50 years (?) when each club (business) could just take out a simple loan and spend the funds how they see fit (without giving up rights for the next 50 years, which is just absurd). In addition, These are unusual times, and enforcing silly salary caps based on current albeit abnormal revenue streams is backwards. The regulations should be adjusted during a period of unforeseen hardship.

Sometimes regulations make sense when they don?t make us less competitive or disadvantaged compared to the competition. But that?s not what La Liga does, which is such as shame.

FCBarca

Mike the Knife
Nope. We already wanted to do that with Collado but couldn't.

It's actually a good deal. We got a talent that many teams were after and prepared to pay more money for him on a cheap try out before investing anything in him, we just f*** up not registering him for Barca B.

I'm still convinced he'll turn out a very good player in a few years and we'll look stupid to not give him more chances while playing likes of Coutinho.

Yeah, I agree. I think it was poorly managed from the start (registering him for 1st team rather than B team) but that is more on Koeman, same goes for Collado.

ajnotkeith

No semblance of intensity whatsoever, nor speed, agility or quickness. He plays with the tempo of Busquets at winger.

He fades out of games every time because he makes no attempt to get involved. He just stayed in the same spot on the pitch the whole game. His poor athleticism limits him but he can try with workrate or something, but is also really inactive.

He's only 18 so that can improve but the athleticism won't.

gregorrin10

I really hope we're not stupid enough to pay this guy's release clause. Also gotta be careful to not trigger it by some freak accident. Lucky that January is almost here. Hopefully that 10 games for the first team really do include him having to play at least 45 minutes every game. Just to be safe, bench him until his loan ends, then ship him back to Rapid, he's not nearly ready for a big club, and honestly he might never be.

Andresito

Staff member
This'll hopefully be a lesson to the management after they jumped the gun because of 2-3 exciting friendlies.

He should've remained a B player, but the opportunity of selling a few #11 shirts with an exciting prospect was too attractive for Laporta & Co.

BusiTheKing

he's just another clue that our scouting operation still haven't rid themselves of the arrogant dogma of technicality or "barca dna" over physicality

Porque

We missed this one up. Hotshotted to the first team, probably to create some hype after the Gamper and cover up the horrible Summer mercado.

Should have been a B team player.

But in terms of our financial position he hasn't shown enough for us to pay 10m. It does not make sense to spend that as he looks very similar to Ilias.

That 10m will probably be better going to look for another Abde and/or Araujo.

Oh and for the record, I believe Demir will end a decent player. It is what it is.

Messi983

Way to give up on a young player. Nice to see people have so much patience.

He made a mistake coming here. Should've gone to a club like Dortmund who actually knows how to develop players.

I'll go out and say he'll end up having a better career than Nico and Abde and of course much better than Mavericky. You can quote me in 5 years.

Porque

Way to give up on a young player. Nice to see people have so much patience.

He made a mistake coming here. Should've gone to a club like Dortmund who actually knows how to develop players.

I'll go out and say he'll end up having a better career than Nico and Abde and of course much better than Mavericky. You can quote me in 5 years.

The game that ironically may have ruined his Barcelona career. He is good in this space but would you have him here ahead of Pedri or Gavi? Probably the best point for Puig too, but I already know your answer on that one :D.

He has alot of potential in that central attacking midfielder space, enough to make it eventually at a LaLiga club but probably not enough to regret not taking the option imo.

The window to prove yourself in the Barca A team is small and can get smaller and eat you up. Like Trincao and Coutinho.

If we have the abundance of cash though then we should figure a way to keep him, or rather get another year with him. But if we don't then there is Ilias and next season the other Demir.

Still he has another 6 months. A lot can change in half a season under a new manager. It can take you from the bench to a 30m move to Barcelona (Trincao) or even a 125m+ move to Atletico (Joao Felix)

Last edited:

khaled_a_d

We missed this one up. Hotshotted to the first team, probably to create some hype after the Gamper and cover up the horrible Summer mercado.

Should have been a B team player.

But in terms of our financial position he hasn't shown enough for us to pay 10m. It does not make sense to spend that as he looks very similar to Ilias.

That 10m will probably be better going to look for another Abde and/or Araujo.

Oh and for the record, I believe Demir will end a decent player. It is what it is.

While I genuinely agree, I also wonder if it would have made a real difference?
He would have stayed with 1st team anyway and probably wouldn't even train with B team once by now

Home of Barca Fans