Yusuf Demir

iniestaGOAT

Way to give up on a young player. Nice to see people have so much patience.

He made a mistake coming here. Should've gone to a club like Dortmund who actually knows how to develop players.

I'll go out and say he'll end up having a better career than Nico and Abde and of course much better than Mavericky. You can quote me in 5 years.

Better career than puig? Maybe. Most likely you wont hear about this kid again once he leaves the team.

Andresito

Staff member
While I genuinely agree, I also wonder if it would have made a real difference?
He would have stayed with 1st team anyway and probably wouldn't even train with B team once by now

He'd at least be getting some game time instead of rotting on the bench.

FCBarca

Mike the Knife
He would have stayed with 1st team anyway and probably wouldn't even train with B team once by now

Nonsense

Collado would've been given a 1st team slot and Demir would've gotten minutes in B team - both would be playing as opposed to what has happened

Messi983

The game that ironically may have ruined his Barcelona career. He is good in this space but would you have him here ahead of Pedri or Gavi?

Gavi and especially Pedri can both play deeper. I would use him in a midfield rotation but a decision about his future is already taken imo. And it's financial, not a sporting one. And I believe we'll regret one day not giving him a fair share of minutes in a rebuilding team.

Porque

Excellent point. Recent evidence suggests that the B team isn't a necessary transit before the first team for the right talents.

Messi983

Excellent point. Recent evidence suggests that the B team isn't a necessary transit before the first team for the right talents.

It shows that mostly for players coming through La Masia (Pedri an obvious exception) not necessary for foreigners who need not only to adapt to the club on the pitch but off it as well. Adaptation is not easy for 18-19 yo kids, especially if they don't even speak Spanish.

Araujo is a good example for that (except the language thing ofc). If he'd be brought straight into the first team in 2018 he'd probably go down the same road as Todibo (who now shows signs of developing into a good CB but Barca had no clear plans what to do with him when he was signed; loaning him would be much smarter than just letting him root on the bench. And I don't buy those excuses that we've kept Araujo over him because he's a better player - which he is - as we could have also kept Todibo given our current CB situation or at least give him better options to develop instead of giving up on him so soon).

Instead Araujo got almost two full seasons to develop in Barca B. He was of course called up for the first team as well in his second season (2019/20) but mostly stayed on the bench and only started two league games that season (one of them in the last round when we've had nothing to play for).

Another good example of the club having patience with a player is Vinicius. Barca would already gave up on him after a season or two but they saw something in him and keep giving him playing time even if most RM fans (and not even mention Barca fans) have mocked him for the past few seasons. Now he's a different player.

Sure, we've also kept Dembele around but that's more on high investment in him and nobody wanting to take on his high wages than Barca actually believing in him. If we'd bought him for 15-20m directly from Rennes in 2017 (when Robert Fernandez was interested in him), he'd be on lower wages (as he wouldn't have a status of a 100m+ signing) and if he'd have same injury problems we'd already sold him 2-3 years ago. And we could probably even make a profit of him as some club would still believe enough in his potential if he could overcome his injuries. Obviously Barca fans would also consider him differently if he'd be a cheap player with some potential who turned out to be injury prone rather than a big money signing brought to replace Neymar.

khaled_a_d

It shows that mostly for players coming through La Masia (Pedri an obvious exception) not necessary for foreigners who need not only to adapt to the club on the pitch but off it as well. Adaptation is not easy for 18-19 yo kids, especially if they don't even speak Spanish.

It isn't about adaptation really, the club actually believed in Demir as a young player and the whole B-team thing was just to get around Liga rules.
The coach believed in him, the board believed in him, he himself believed he is 1st team player and that is what he was signed for. Unlike guys like Araujo or Halilovic who knew from the start their time will be in B team.
Even if Demir was registered with B team, he would have stayed and played same exact minutes with 1st team, and same non-existent minutes with B team.
His registration is just a bureaucratic thing, at the end they just decided to go with him as 1st team player because that is really what he is.
Even as bad as he is playing atm, and he is really bad, we have no one else to take those minutes.
Registering in B team would have changed nothing.

Collado would've been given a 1st team slot and Demir would've gotten minutes in B team

We had 2 free spots for Collado and didn't register him, doubt the 3rd slot would have made any difference.
The club didn't really rate him, and that is why he isn't registered, not Demir.

FCBarca

Mike the Knife
We had 2 free spots for Collado and didn't register him, doubt the 3rd slot would have made any difference.
The club didn't really rate him, and that is why he isn't registered, not Demir.

Koeman, not the club. Koeman decided on the cases of both Demir & Collado and as already pointed out they both have suffered in terms of minutes due to the decisions he made, not the club

Birdy

He looks worse than Ilias so far.

His technique is good, but if that the age of 18 or so he can't accelerate and fails to dribble because of his inability to just run,

that's alarming...

He fooled many of us after his first showings.
Not blaming Koeman on this.
I don't know if it's the pressure of playing for Barca or something similar, but what he shows on the pitch is alarming.

He should be parked on the bench permanently so the clubs saves the 10 m on the buy clause

khaled_a_d

Koeman, not the club. Koeman decided on the cases of both Demir & Collado and as already pointed out they both have suffered in terms of minutes due to the decisions he made, not the club

The club is the one register players, not the coach.
In both cases, it was Planas who made the decision, not Koeman.
Koeman had no reason to register Demir with 1st team, it made no difference for him btw

FCBarca

Mike the Knife
The club is the one register players, not the coach.
In both cases, it was Planas who made the decision, not Koeman.
Koeman had no reason to register Demir with 1st team, it made no difference for him btw

Sporting decisions were made by Koeman in terms of his roster, not Planes/Alemany/Laporta - they merely carry out those choices

Birdy

It's easier for some to scapegoat Koeman for everything that went wrong.

How myopic this is, is being witnessed every day now that Koeman is not around

JamDav1982

Dont talk shit. Koeman was not the one who decided that Collado should neither be registered for B team or first team nor did he decide that Demir should be promoted rather than be part of B team to then be used when needed.

Koeman preferred Demir over Collado. That is extent of his involvement. The club fucked over both the players from there and Collado most likely rejected moves he could have made also.

iniestaGOAT

It is already reported that both were Planas decision.

They are both connected. Koeman wanted demir and had no interest in collado who had no interest in playing for b team again. His loan was cancelled last moment so it became impossible to register him anywhere

Home of Barca Fans