1 - Marc-Andre ter Ansplant

khaled_a_d

Can't compare him to Courtois. Courtois was amazing, focused, and had unbreakable nerves all throughout the final with no lapses in concentration. He actually saved his team and consistently performed.

Ter Stegen was poor for most of the game and conceded left and right with several lapses in concentration but then made a couple of great saves and then gets a bunch of people saying " :worthy: Ter Stegen is the best" etc.

Courtois lacks concentration a lot too ,even more than Ter Stegan does ,one game doesn't make Courtois a player who is focused all time , ,I think you are being harsh on Stegan tbh ,his positioning has been good and tough to blame him for those goals

DonAndres

Wild Man of Borneo
I know that Courtois isn't always as good as he was yesterday but he is still far more consistent and concentrated than ter Stegen.

Those goals weren't entirely ter Stegen's fault obviously but people act like every save he makes is jaw-droppingly brilliant and every goal he concedes is not his fault at all. He's a great prospect, definitely going to get better in the future. But people are getting ahead of themselves and saying he's amazing because they want him to be amazing, not because he is. His positioning, concentration, and preparedness for those goals today were horrible.

I'm not saying he's bad, I'm just saying that he does not deserve the applause he is getting for this game because he performed poorly and that should be observed. He has his fair share of great games and one should definitely account for those too, but he deserves to be judged for the poor ones as well. Overall He hasn't even been great this season.

spark

Can't compare him to Courtois. Courtois was amazing, focused, and had unbreakable nerves all throughout the final with no lapses in concentration. He actually saved his team and consistently performed.

Ter Stegen was poor for most of the game and conceded left and right with several lapses in concentration but then made a couple of great saves and then gets a bunch of people saying " :worthy: Ter Stegen is the best" etc.

What are you Saying. Courtois has had bad games. For the entire of 2012 Cristiano was his kryptonite with Courtois positioning and allowing him to score long shot after long shot.Basically he was very naive which is understandable because of his age. Acting like he plays every game like the cup final is illogical.

loozy

I know that Courtois isn't always as good as he was yesterday but he is still far more consistent and concentrated than ter Stegen.

Those goals weren't entirely ter Stegen's fault obviously but people act like every save he makes is jaw-droppingly brilliant and every goal he concedes is not his fault at all. He's a great prospect, definitely going to get better in the future. But people are getting ahead of themselves and saying he's amazing because they want him to be amazing, not because he is. His positioning, concentration, and preparedness for those goals today were horrible.

I'm not saying he's bad, I'm just saying that he does not deserve the applause he is getting for this game because he performed poorly and that should be observed. He has his fair share of great games and one should definitely account for those too, but he deserves to be judged for the poor ones as well. Overall He hasn't even been great this season.

:worthy: :worthy: :worthy:

DonAndres

Wild Man of Borneo
@spark I just said he doesn't perform the same way every game in my last post. Anyway I was comparing game for game. People were acting like ter Stegen vs Bayern today was as good as Courtois vs Madrid in the final, which clearly isn't the case.

mixer

Courtois lacks concentration a lot too ,even more than Ter Stegan does ,one game doesn't make Courtois a player who is focused all time , ,I think you are being harsh on Stegan tbh ,his positioning has been good and tough to blame him for those goals
Curtois is much nearer to be a world class goalkepper and is very consistent (also the best gk in laliga this season, going to win the zamora)

ter Stegen is still an inexperienced youngster. I prefer Thibat over Marc but Chelsea will not let him go I suppose.

DonAndres

Wild Man of Borneo
Curtois is much nearer to be a world class goalkepper and is very consistent (also the best gk in laliga this season, going to win the zamora)

ter Stegen is still an inexperienced youngster. I prefer Thibat over Marc but Chelsea will not let him go I suppose.

Even though Courtois is amazing, he hasn't been the best GK in la liga. That is Caballero. While Courtois has performed admirably, he was also protected by a solid Atletico defense. Caballero has edged out Courtois IMO

mixer

Even though Courtois is amazing, he hasn't been the best GK in la liga. That is Caballero. While Courtois has performed admirably, he was also protected by a solid Atletico defense. Caballero has edged out Courtois IMO
I haven't been following Caballero much but statistics speak for Courtois.

khaled_a_d

What applause again?I've gone through the last few pages and other than few deserved "gr8 save" kinda posts I don't see it,I actually see more of "let's not like him for sucha game" and "he is overrated" posts more !!!
And he wasn't poor this game tbh ,It was good game ,may be not gr8 but far from being poor one
Also I don't see that much of lack of concentration or positioning ,I actually like his positioning a lot
and btw remember Casillas at same age? he also lacked concentration and positioning and ended up being one of the best GKs in his era

I like Curtois more too since last season ,but I don't get why should we even bring his name here ,both are very good talented young GKs with gr8 future ahead of them ,no one can know who is gonna end better as a lot would depend on their work
but If we are gonna talk about overhype ,Curtois has been hyped a lot after last night game ,Stegan isn't even that hyped on this forum as people suggests ,but realistically many fans knows with De Gea,Curtois etc aren't available ,he is the best option ,and he is a good one too
one last thing ,Caballero is the best GK in Liga

Luftstalag14

Culé de Celestial Empire

I don't think anyone is saying ter Stegen is the best, yet. He is young and relatively inexperienced. But he's got great potential, I think that sums up what most people are saying about him.

Loozy, I haven't followed Leno, how has he been doing this season?

Last edited:

loozy

Loozy, I have't followed Leno, how has he been doing this season?

It just sounds as though ter Stegen is the best thing since sliced bread reading some of the posts here.

I might be a tad biased but I think he has more to offer than ter Stegen, always have; he is more secure at shot-stopping, working with the ball and build-up play and has only managed to develop those during this season.

That being said, he was not as good this season as he was last but still excelled. Especially in the international matches he showed his growth and maturity which is something that he has above ter Stegen.

rafals

What are you Saying. Courtois has had bad games. For the entire of 2012 Cristiano was his kryptonite with Courtois positioning and allowing him to score long shot after long shot.Basically he was very naive which is understandable because of his age. Acting like he plays every game like the cup final is illogical.

That's exactly what I was about to say while I was reading the last few pages. Courtois has not been more consistent in my opinion. I'd say that their seasons were quite similar in a way. Both of them had their good and bad days while Atletico had a better defense and was a better team overall, that's why we can't really compare their statistics. I can't really see the reason why people rate him so highly, maybe it's because I remember all those matches against Real Madrid (excluding the last one ofc). And let's face it, Messi has embarassed him several times too. I might be a bit subjective about him, but I think that every goalie has some great saves once in a while and I like ter Stegen's style much more.

DonAndres

Wild Man of Borneo
Right after his 2 good saves people were proclaiming "that's why we need ter Stegen", "better than ___", etc.

And if this game wasn't poor, then I don't know what poor is.
-Lacked focus and didn't react in time for the first 1v1 and could've done better
-didn't even move for the 2nd goal despite it being well within saving distance and not a powerful shot. Once again he wasn't prepared to make the save until it was too late. This goal was definitely his fault alone.
-kind of slow to move for the 3rd goal but I'm not gonna nitpick because any other keeper would've had trouble saving that as well. It was an amazing shot and impossible to predict.
- left the goal gaping for Robben on the 4th goal, once again within saving distance yet he just flailed randomely. He lacked positioning to cover the goal and made a last ditch attempt to swing his arms out to save it without any chance of doing so. Once again not ready to make the save until it was too late.
- Many other Bayern attempts that were off target, but had they been on target he was in no position to make the save and he wasn't ready to move in time.

He definitely has potential to be a great GK but people are just rushing it and saying he is despite him having flaws he needs to address. At this point he is no better than Valdes or Reina yet people hype him up to be.

spark

@spark I just said he doesn't perform the same way every game in my last post. Anyway I was comparing game for game. People were acting like ter Stegen vs Bayern today was as good as Courtois vs Madrid in the final, which clearly isn't the case.

The thing is Ive re-read the thread and havent seen that sentiment yet. The only person person that used the words best for example was referring to Buffon. Lets say all three of Madrid's shots that hit the post went in and the score was 4-1 as it would have been in any other Madrid derbi, would that mean Coutois' save to Ozil wouldn't be praise worthy? Because that's when the praise came again today, after a good save which even you praised. It reminds me of when De Gea had his low period and the mere mention of his name would result in people listing all of his errors and saying they wouldn't want him at Barca. All three have world class potential and what they are capable of at their best ensures that scouts will not be phased by the flaws because they have years to iron them out. For me Coutois has made more mistakes for Atleti than De Gea did even though he plays behind a far superior defense. That doesn't mean that when Courtois goes back to Chelsea he will make as many mistakes as De Gea did in his first year in Manchester. Each path is different.

Home of Barca Fans