1 - Marc-Andre ter Ansplant

loozy

"Whowhats" average scores? :lol:

Here's Kicker's (specialized German portal for Bundesliga) top 10 ratings for goalkeepers this season.

Trapp 2,40
Adler 2,73
Benaglio 2,83
Weidenfeller 2,83
Baumann 2,91
Leno 2,94
Hildebrand 2,95
Neuer 2,95
Schafer 2,98
Giefer 2,98

Here's a task: Find Ter Stegen! Also, note to Zubi: Buy Trapp!

People who don't watch games and only use ratings for forming their opinion shouldn't really post let alone judge others.

On that note: find Neuer :lol:

Barcaman

Administrator
Staff member
And if a specialized portal can be so off, then imagine what can you do with whosewhatsitsname.

Eetu

Adormit
Not to mention he has the highest average rating of all Bundesliga GKs.

Just a random notion, but their statistical distribution of GK ratings, at least in Bundesliga is weird as ****. Either the top in there is really flat and they've gotten lucky with ratings exactly reflecting that, or there's something fishy going on. Comparing to Kicker's, I'd say it's the latter.

He may have had a fairly poor game today, but he's our best option IMO, especially considering that Chelsea won't be willing to let Courtois go, and De Gea probably won't be available either (both would be great options, perhaps even better than ter Stegen, if they were available). After all, ter Stegen's young, he's a great keeper for his age, and he has the potential to be one of the best GKs in the world. He'd be a much better choice than Reina or Guaita, that's for sure.

Last edited:

BorussiaBarcelona

Not just the defense, it's that he wasn't prepared or ready to make a save until they had already shot, in which case he'd just make a desperate last minute attempt to throw himself at the ball without success. If he was focused and prepared and positioned himself, he could've been ready to save those goals.

The 1st goal from Ribery? That was a direct result of him not being focused and then getting surprised by the shot. He was definitely close enough to make the save but was too slow to react because he wasn't prepared.

What the hell???

How can you be prepared for shots you can't see?
That first goal by Ribery was something the defense should've never let happen(shot through the legs of the defender and no pressure at all), the Martinez goal was him running free on ter Stegen and he had no chance against those other two as well.

It wasn't a great performance, but still solid and he couldn't do more today.

Can't compare him to Courtois. Courtois was amazing, focused, and had unbreakable nerves all throughout the final with no lapses in concentration. He actually saved his team and consistently performed.

Ter Stegen was poor for most of the game and conceded left and right with several lapses in concentration but then made a couple of great saves and then gets a bunch of people saying " :worthy: Ter Stegen is the best" etc.

Which lapses?

If you think Courtois is great because of the Copa del Rey final you should praise ter Stegen as well, given how he played at Bayern six months ago.

Yup, Curtois is definitely much better...

I judge ter Stegen on today's game only and haven't said he's da best. He's quite inconsistent. Sometimes he is not focused but then he has moments of greatness.

He certainly needs to improve but he just turned 21 and has loads of potential.
And judging him by one game against the probably best team at this moment is certainly a great thing to do...

Of course, that's arguable. I just remember so many matches with him making the same mistakes that ter Stegen made today that I can't admit the same without any doubt. As I said before, he is praised like that thank's to his team's overall performance which was amazing. Moenchengladbach was very weak defensively. But I have no more arguments, so I'll just stop there :p

Well, we missed Alvaro Dominguez today.
Though, it wasn't about our defense, it was the whole team and just playing Bayern, who've got a team that's paying paid at least three times our squad and it shows.
It's also a season in which we've got to deal with building a new team having lost Dante, Reus and Neustädter and we're just not there yet.
Last season not even the current Bayern side would've dared to start playing so offensively after 15 minutes, knowing that Reus would run circles around there defense.
Therefore we can't do much about other teams pressure, with them knowing that we're not as deadly on the counter attack as we've been before.

BTW: Part of ter Stegens quote from todays game.
Ich habe jetzt noch zwei Spiele mit der Nationalmannschaft, darauf freue ich mich. Danach geht es in den Urlaub, um ein wenig auszuspannen. In der nächsten Saison greifen wir wieder an.

The bold part means that they'll try to get at it next season again, which means he'll stay at Gladbach.
And no matter if Barca wants him or not, it's a good decision because of him being so young and still in need of more experience at a club like Borussia.

DonAndres

Wild Man of Borneo
As a professional footballer, he should be prepared to save anything at all times when the ball is with the opponents in his box. Also the lapses in concentration were correlated with this because he wasn't ready and focused to make a save until it was too late. If he had concentrated and stayed alert, he wouldn't have been surprised. This performance wasn't absolutely jaw dropping horrible, but it was poor and something to learn from.

Also, don't get me wrong, I'm mainly criticizing this game. There is no doubt that ter Stegen has huge potential and ability, I'm just assessing how he played today.

BorussiaBarcelona

As a professional footballer, he should be prepared to save anything at all times when the ball is with the opponents in his box. Also the lapses in concentration were correlated with this because he wasn't ready and focused to make a save until it was too late. If he had concentrated and stayed alert, he wouldn't have been surprised. This performance wasn't absolutely jaw dropping horrible, but it was poor and something to learn from.

Also, don't get me wrong, I'm mainly criticizing this game. There is no doubt that ter Stegen has huge potential and ability, I'm just assessing how he played today.

Well, if that's how you assess players then Barca probably should stay away from ever buying another goalkeeper, given that none will ever be as "prepared" as you'd like them to be.

And talking about Courtois being better because of yesterdays game, then that's shortsighted as well.

Though, I guess we do share something about ter Stegen, given the we both probably think he should stay at least another year at Gladbach to try and gain more experience. ;)

DonAndres

Wild Man of Borneo
I don't think you've read any of my posts.

-Pretty much any goalkeeper knows to always be prepared when the opposition is attacking. Ter Stegen wasn't having his best day and wasn't prepared when needed, so he was punished for it; that's professional football and that is how high the standard is. Once again I'm reiterating that he isn't bad, it was just a poor game. Don't take what I said as an offensive remark towards ter Stegen.
-Courtois has been better, not just because of the final, I was just saying that ter Stegen vs Bayern today was nothing compared to Courtois vs Madrid as some people were suggesting. Other than that Courtois has been great this season when under a lot of pressure at times.
-I agree that ter Stegen should in the best case scenario stay at BM for another year while Valdes stays at Barca for another season. However if the circumstances be such that he either comes now or never, I'd certainly opt for him to join Barca now.

Indignado

Just a random notion, but their statistical distribution of GK ratings, at least in Bundesliga is weird as ****. Either the top in there is really flat and they've gotten lucky with ratings exactly reflecting that, or there's something fishy going on. Comparing to Kicker's, I'd say it's the latter.

None of the two lists is any good, there are GK's on kicker's list who were very bad all season, in the end those ratings are made up of biased fans' ratings or biased reporters' opinions, nothing there comes from true "experts" (if there's anything like that in football).

It's pretty funny how many people's opinions differ from game to game or how many people judge players by only 1 game (plenty of them who've seen ter Stegen live for the first time). Yesterday, he was the best GK we can possibly get and today everyone's talking about how much better Courtois and De Gea are.

Anyway, if you think he was poor today, watch this game:

Besides, Benaglio (the Swiss GK) is third on kicker's list.

Last edited:

Garrus

I've watched a pretty good deal of the Atletico games this season, but yes you're right that I haven't been an avid follower of BM. At the same time my judgement is based off of watching some games, highlight videos, AND opinions from writers/fans who do watch BM closely. Just because I personally am not a BM expert doesn't mean that my judgements are automatically inaccurate or made up, if anything they are taken from actual observations of him, whether it be myself or another person. Ask any objective person who has knowledge on ter Stegen and they will tell you he hasn't been the most consistent of players this season. I'm not making any bold out of the ordinary claims, just deriving it from what I know and what I trust that other people know.

Also, from what I have seen/heard, it's no secret that Courtois has had a much better season than ter Stegen. Once again holistic judgement is a much better rating system than computers or numbers. Credibility can be refuted if it's completely wrong and out of the blue judgements without knowing anything about the player, however I'm confident that what I said isn't wildly inaccurate and I am fairly informed/knowledgeable on ter Stegen's strength's and faults.

Just because a person isn't 100% all the time associated with or knowing of the goings on of a team/player doesn't mean that everything is wrong.
This isn't about being an expert about anything, This is about common sense, You made two bold statements, When you where in know place to make them, You admitted you're no avid watcher of BM, Which more or less means you hardly watched any games of theirs, Yet let me remind you and the others what you said:
"Courtois is far more consistent and concentrated than ter Stegen"
"He hasn't even been great this season"
It's puzzling isn't, How can someone confidently make these statements, Yet he hardly watched any games of his this season, And this is what's my argument is all about, It's the reason why i quoted these for the second time and highlighted them for you again, I didn't have any problem about what you saw in your own eyes, Or about this game specifically, But i do have a problem when someone makes a generalized claim when he ought not to, And if you just echoed what you heard in other places and posted it as your own opinion, It certainly won't help your case.

I don't really know what kind of a rating system they use, It's obviously very flawed, I only visit the site for raw statistics, I quoted their ratings now just to make a point , That even though i already know how bad their rating system is, I'll gladly take it over someone who hardly watched the games.

Meitux

kill him now guys...always the same, one bad game (i didnt watch the game to see how he played) and everybody saying hes shit...and that goes for every player

Superfly

Banned
Same thing goes for the people who rate him off that one Argentina game and have never bothered to watch him afterwards except for the occasional youtube clips.

Home of Barca Fans