1 - Marc-Andre ter Ansplant

serghei

He only conceded one goal from a powerful header and was saved by VAR on his blunder. Decent and lucky.

He still can show symptoms of jelly hands syndrome at any point though. Sometimes I think he does not see very well.

Andresito

Staff member
Question is, which realistically available GK would be an improvement?

Most valuable GK's
gk.png

U23
gk2.png

FinBarcelonafan

If we had any money Donnarumma. Obvious choice last summer. Of course not as good with legs but great goalie.

Xavi would improve his passing no problem.

khaled_a_d

How is Rayo GK Stole Dimitrievski?
Was brilliant early in the season.
Also there is Dragowski from Fiorintina, good age and one year left in contract.
Interested to follow Safanov, La Font and Trubin. Vandevoordt has that Barca DNA in him, with on ball ability and being error prone

malvolio

club won't go for another GK as clubs in general prefer stability in that position. at most they'll sell neto and get another no 2.

considering the prices/wages for top GKs nowadays, he was pretty cheap. so another incentive for club to not sell just yet.

there are no wonderkid GKs on the horizon and a player has to be pretty gifted if he wants to get a position at a top club in his early 20s.

even chelsea would have probably stood by kepa if he wasn't such a calamity week after week and the other antics he pulled with sarri.

so let's look at the situation objectively, if stegen will be disastrous with a competent defense in front of him then the club will probably consider getting rid. otherwise he'll be here until his current deal expires.

khaled_a_d

considering the prices/wages for top GKs nowadays, he was pretty cheap. so another incentive for club to not sell just yet.

It is the opposite, it benefits the club financially to sell him even if his replacement costs more, due to Stegen current low amortization and high salary

malvolio

It is the opposite, it benefits the club financially to sell him even if his replacement costs more, due to Stegen current low amortization and high salary

i was talking about the fact we might have to shell 50M or more for a new GK. stegen isn't even in top 5 GK salaries. but let's say an 'unknown' will probably get less than him.

who are those GKs that impress for medium/small clubs on a regular basis? or GK that have experience in top leagues and maybe some european credentials.

JamDav1982

How much you think Barca gets for MATS?

The amortisation works both ways.. they could spend 20-30m on a GK and then paying amortised costs for them not currently paying for MATS.

He has not been as good in recent seasons but is not nearly as bad game on game as is made out.

Played well yesterday.

Messi983

Don't see a point bringing a young GK as long as Xavi fully believes in MATS and will never give a fair chance to a new goalie to compete with him. Even if we'd convince someone to sign with us he would get tired of warming the bench and want to leave in a year or two. And if we'll find a young guy willing to be a Copa keeper for more than two years then he's probably not our longterm GK either as he's not ambitious enough (we don't need more Maverickys of the world who are just happy to be here) and wouldn't develop without playing either.

One thing we can do is sign a 19-20 year-old GK who would be fine going on loan for 2-3 years (like Chelsea have loaned out a young Courtouis to Atleti) before returning and be given a chance to replace MATS when he leaves. But who that GK could be I have absolutely no idea and it also wouldn't help us short-term.

I don't hate MATS but think we could upgrade on him. I don't fully believe he's a solution but I also don't think he's the biggest problem we have. He's clearly a part of the problem though. GK needs to trust defenders in front of him to be confident. We can see what's happening with Oblak who is having even worse season than MATS. He was used to have a wall infront of him, now they're letting more chances in and he concedes basically every second shot on target. MATS has been dealing with a leaky defense for most of his time here but things really become bad in last few years and I think he lost his confidence in guys in front of him which is understandable. Of course this logic also work the other way though. Defenders also have to believe in a GK to cover for their mistakes. And it's clear they don't have much confidence in MATS either.

On paper it's easier to replace one guy (GK) than 3 defenders (and seeing Busi as a big part of our defensive woes basically replacing 4 guys) but defenders will eventually need to be replaced as well. And I expect changes to happen this summer. Then we'll see if a better defense (at least on paper) will also lead to MATS improving his level. He always had his faults but it's also clear he can be much better than he has been for the last 2-3 years. It's either all of those European humiliations have broken him mentally or he's affected by injuries. Or probably both. But players who were written off have returned to their best level before. MATS is still relatively young for a GK and should theoretically just enter his prime years. We'll see if Xavi can recuperate him. Hopefully he can if he has no intention to replace him.

Home of Barca Fans