1 - Victor Valdes

barcanuck

Victor pulled out of the catalan squad today with a foot injury. Hoping its not serious othewise we'll be seeing DJ Pinto a bit too much.

Meitux

Xavi lost the ball when he made a weak pass to Iniesta for Ramires goal. Ironically, it was Xavi again with a weak pass to Messi for Falcao's goal.

Besides Valdes didn't take the shit for Ramires' goal. Maybe on this forum (I didn't join at that point) but not in general. It's difficult to blame anyone for that goal but if it had to be someone, it would be Mascherano for leaving his position to pressure Lampard but still putting in a weak tackle.
Valdes left his goal wayyyy too early,and as we know Ramires isnt someone who will score everytime he is in front of the goal,they could be more chances for Valdes to save it in 1v1 ,but i still blame Masche who cant position himself.....and i dont want to see him play CB in a big game again

Ursegor

World Champion
He also did it against Real that week.

lol Take a look at this goal. Repeat it 25 times.

Now ask yourself: "WTF is Mascherano doing?" How is Ronaldo walking past him so easily from a simple central position? He doesn't even sneak behind him from out wide. He's infront of Mascherano's eyes the whole time, points to Özil to play him the pass and walks past Mascherano as if he weren't there. Yet we call him a "beast" because he dives into tackles and speaks like a committed professional, ignoring that he's positionally all over the place as a CB most of the time and gets found out in every single big game (except the ones we completely dominate and in which our backline doesn't even get tested, e.g. CL final 2011).

He has no clue what to do. First he follows Puyol to mark Ramires out wide, then he realizes that he should maybe pay attention to Drogba in the middle instead of following Puyol, then he's too late to cut the pass out and mark Drogba properly.

What's he doing there? He's committing a tackle on Lampard and failing, dragged completely out of position almost around the halfway line, leaving a huge gap behind in which Ramires sneaks into.

In that "week of doom" we conceded 5 goals. 3 of them were not solely (Messi must not lose the ball at Stamford Bridge, Valdes might do a bit better staying on his line) but largely Mascherano's fault.

M

messi_xavi_iniesta

Mascherano has failed, i agree. But also has Valdés. What is he doing there? He should stay in the goal line. Same thing happened in the 2nd leg of the supercup. Valdés leaves the goal and it´s Pique who tries to stop the ball from entering. Ronaldo and Ozil already know this and take advantage of it.

Barcaman

Administrator
Staff member
lol Take a look at this goal. Repeat it 25 times.

Now ask yourself: "WTF is Mascherano doing?" How is Ronaldo walking past him so easily from a simple central position? He doesn't even sneak behind him from out wide. He's infront of Mascherano's eyes the whole time, points to Özil to play him the pass and walks past Mascherano as if he weren't there. Yet we call him a "beast" because he dives into tackles and speaks like a committed professional, ignoring that he's positionally all over the place as a CB most of the time and gets found out in every single big game (except the ones we completely dominate and in which our backline doesn't even get tested, e.g. CL final 2011).

He has no clue what to do. First he follows Puyol to mark Ramires out wide, then he realizes that he should maybe pay attention to Drogba in the middle instead of following Puyol, then he's too late to cut the pass out and mark Drogba properly.

What's he doing there? He's committing a tackle on Lampard and failing, dragged completely out of position almost around the halfway line, leaving a huge gap behind in which Ramires sneaks into.

In that "week of doom" we conceded 5 goals. 3 of them were not solely (Messi must not lose the ball at Stamford Bridge, Valdes might do a bit better staying on his line) but largely Mascherano's fault.

You make a strong case. I'd say Mascherano saved us more than couple of times as well although not sure how many of those were such big occasions.

sabby

Mascherano has failed, i agree. But also has Valdés. What is he doing there? He should stay in the goal line. Same thing happened in the 2nd leg of the supercup. Valdés leaves the goal and it´s Pique who tries to stop the ball from entering. Ronaldo and Ozil already know this and take advantage of it.

I always thought Valdes coming out the goal early is one of his tactics to save 1 on 1 goals and it did him right many times. It's bound to fail some other times as well.

Meitux

You make a strong case. I'd say Mascherano saved us more than couple of times as well although not sure how many of those were such big occasions.
most were in La Liga games in the big games with Real and Chelsea he wasnt good and as i said i wouldnt like to see him again in those games

BigBarcaBoy

most were in La Liga games in the big games with Real and Chelsea he wasnt good and as i said i wouldnt like to see him again in those games

Have to agree, in some of the bigger games he's been found out, the need for experienced cover for Pique/puyol is still great

Barcaman

Administrator
Staff member
Valdes is next in line for contract renewal so this should probably be taken in that context:

Valdes said:
"La portería del Barça es complicada. No descarto ver otras culturas, otras ligas, otras cosas".

Last time the club had talks with him over new contract I remember it wasn't smooth either.

Home of Barca Fans