1 - Victor Valdes

Evil

Shabazz
No one is calling Valdes world class .. the save he made was world class, and it´s beyond me how you guys refuse to give him credit for it.

maz

I walk the line
If we follow Maz standards of WC keepers then we probably should call half of La Liga keepers "world class". After all they do average from 3 to 4 saves per game. Also enough with the double standards. You were all over Eto'o and Hleb for missing those one on ones and didnt gave credit to Cech. Maybe Drogba was also hlebing himself shooting in the middle right?
:bangHead: I already told you that vv isnt a world class keeper. However last night vv put in a world class performance. It would help if u understood the difference.

I give credit to cech for saving those chances because given that the shot from eto'o was fairly straight, cech didnt have to do much ..but he still had to save them. However thats not a world class performance. They are routine pieces of play for a keeper. Eto'o should have done better. However drogba and vv wasnt routine.. First one perhaps was, but not the second.

0n0mat0p0eia

Victor Valdes

Did anyone see Valdes and Cech shaking hands at the end of the first leg? He looked like a boy against a man. Now Valdes is a good shot stopper, but i like a goalkeeper to be a big guy (remember Steau's Duckadam. When that game went to pens, he looked like he filled the whole goal)
If you look at all the semi-finalists, their keeper stats are:-

Cech: 6ft 5 ins, tallest man in the Chelsea team
Van der sar: 6 ft 5 ins, tallest man in Man U's team
Almunia: 6 ft 3 ins, 2nd tallest in Arsenal's team
Valdes: 6ft 0ins, FIFTH tallest man in Barca's team.

Now i know Valdes is agile, but a keeper who is 5 inches taller and just as agile will reach more shots going into the corners, and will look more physically intimidating.

I just think that if Barca are going to strengthen their team, then they need a better keeper, and perhaps better defenders; how is it right that a player who couldnt get into Man U's team (Pique) is almost an automatic pick for Barca.

Now, as to the keeper they should buy, thats anyones guess. All the stand out keepers will be very difficult to pry away from their teams. I have been impressed at times by Kameni, does anyone know whats happening with him/ think he would be better that Valdes?

aRegularAce

I agree with you to some degree... correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought there wasn't too much difference between kameni's height and valdes'.

Andres Iniesta

I like barça defense and i think pique is improving game after game, he his new and tall. He is very usefull to our team. Btw i like valdez too, ok he is not a great goalkeeper but he is a GOOD goalkeeper, he make some mistakes but also a lot of important saves.

Jaumet

All round Nice Guy
Did anyone see Valdes and Cech shaking hands at the end of the first leg? He looked like a boy against a man. Now Valdes is a good shot stopper, but i like a goalkeeper to be a big guy (remember Steau's Duckadam. When that game went to pens, he looked like he filled the whole goal)

Now i know Valdes is agile, but a keeper who is 5 inches taller and just as agile will reach more shots going into the corners, and will look more physically intimidating.

Ok... Soo going on height alone, Valdes would be the best around the feet? Because he is closest to the ground ?

Really... A ball going into the corner will not be saved by anygoal keeper... The angle is to big, and besides a bigger keeper won't be as agile...

I don't think Height is that.. important.. a Keeper who is 5 inches taller standing in goal isn't going to make a PKer Shite his pants...

maz

I walk the line
Had a solid game last night. Couldnt have done much about the two goals...but made saves where needed.

maz

I walk the line

I just think that if Barca are going to strengthen their team, then they need a better keeper, and perhaps better defenders; how is it right that a player who couldnt get into Man U's team (Pique) is almost an automatic pick for Barca.

Now, as to the keeper they should buy, thats anyones guess. All the stand out keepers will be very difficult to pry away from their teams. I have been impressed at times by Kameni, does anyone know whats happening with him/ think he would be better that Valdes?
No he would be miles worse than valdés. Kameni isnt anything special.

By the way, casillas is the best keeper in the world and is about 2cm taller than vv.

Cule Angles

Visca el filòsof!

1. Have you seen Gerard Piqué play on a regular basis this season? He has developed so quickly that he has gone from backup to starter quicker than anybody expected. He didn't get into Man Utd's team because they had a settled centre back pairing in Vidic and Ferdinand but SAF rated Pique and played him quite a lot.

2. Kameni is dreadful. He seems to have a habit of playing well against us but over the course of a season makes a lot more mistakes than Valdes.

Home of Barca Fans