1 - Victor Valdes

Deco 20

Scandinavian 101
oier, masip, banuz from barca b ??? or ondoa (17), onana (16), tienda (18) juvenil A , or Jose Aurelio (17) Barca Youth ... some preferences ????

Oier and Masip are definitely not good enough, the others are too young and still probably not talented enough either

Xtroverto

Why wouldn't they sell when ha has clearly said that he is leaving? If they wait until his contract ends, Barça gets no money at all and they have to pay his huge salary for one more season. Not to mention playing 18 months with a GK whose head is not in it anymore.

For the simple reason that they have no alternative, they can bring in X keeper and they will still end up with Pinto as first choice keeper for next season because the Barcelona model is so complicated to learn. The club really have no choice. The little money the club will get for Valdes in not worth risking a year without chances of winning the league or the Champions, especially not when the team is in such a competitive form. Simply put, with Valdes as first choice GK next year motivated or not the club has 95% chance of winning trophies, with any one else that drops to 80%.

JonM

For the simple reason that they have no alternative, they can bring in X keeper and they will still end up with Pinto as first choice keeper for next season because the Barcelona model is so complicated to learn. The club really have no choice. The little money the club will get for Valdes in not worth risking a year without chances of winning the league or the Champions, especially not when the team is in such a competitive form. Simply put, with Valdes as first choice GK next year motivated or not the club has 95% chance of winning trophies, with any one else that drops to 80%.

Although true, I think it's really overstated. The team won't suddenly start losing because the new GK is kicking the ball upfield a few times instead of passing it on the ground. And most goals we allow are from set pieces and breakaways anyway.

I would agree with the 2014 amicable breakup option if his management team had shut their mouth until the summer. But they refused to do so. A simple "I'm concentrating on football right now, we'll have all summer to talk about a new contract" would have done the trick.

AvocadoCake

I just hope we don't sell him for peanuts.

Peanuts>Nothing, while i don't like the idea of having a keeper who's pretty much here on loan (if we KNOW he's leaving in 2014, that's not too dissimilar from an 18 month loan). Get him out at the end of the season IMO

Stric

I would agree with the 2014 amicable breakup option if his management team had shut their mouth until the summer. But they refused to do so. A simple "I'm concentrating on football right now, we'll have all summer to talk about a new contract" would have done the trick.

+1

This was a really asshole move by Valdes and his agent. I wouldn't be surprised if it even disrupted the form of the team or the dressing room atmosphere.

Galning

Peanuts>Nothing, while i don't like the idea of having a keeper who's pretty much here on loan (if we KNOW he's leaving in 2014, that's not too dissimilar from an 18 month loan). Get him out at the end of the season IMO

Yeah that's what I mean. We definitely need to sell him in the summer.

Xtroverto

Although true, I think it's really overstated.

Maybe it is really overstated, but remember, this is coming directly from the people that made Barcelona successful in the first place, people such as Frank Rijkaard, Hek Ten Cate, Pep Guardiola, Tito Vilanova, Juan Carlos Unzué etc. For sure, maybe they are overestimating his value to the club but then these are the same people that made the club what it is today.

Blue Demon

I overheard on a segment that Valdez did this before with Laporta, yet the timing of it gets me. At an important time of the year this creeps up and becomes a major talking point in every game and move that Valdez does from now on.

Chainsaw

Killahead
I doubt he leaves in this summer or Barca tries to cash on him. Most likely scenario will be that he will have a respectful farewell to the club and the fans once his contract expire at the end of next season.

Home of Barca Fans