1 - Victor Valdes

Galning

tumblr_lsmopyg3P91qz5deto1_r1_1280.png

:lol: I get this one.

Mr Hulot

Any other club would have sacked him. That's not to say that Barca should have done the same. That's why Barca is mes que un club.

7343762939296923749376.gif

It was a very deserving standing ovation for one of the best goalkeepers the club ever had! For me every goalkeeper in the world will be a downgrade..

stewart77

There's not any goalkeeper playing today, that will play for Barca the way Valdes does. When Valdes goes we'll see what we've had all these years, and maybe then he'll be appreciated the way he should.

Valdes has his faults but if we're going to continue with the sweeper/keeper then no other goalkeeper comes close to being able to play with their feet the way Valdes does....

Stric

Being one of the best goalkeepers THE CLUB ever had is pretty damn far from being one of the best goalkeepers that are currently active. And not that it should make a difference in the discussion or anything, but Valdes has ZERO respect outside of Barcelona. Most football fans wouldn't even rank him inside the top 20.

loozy

Valdes has ZERO respect outside of Barcelona./QUOTE]

I've never understood that, honestly. I rate him as a goalkeeper, not as high as some but he would still be in my Top 10, off the top of my head.
Had this discussion with friends of mine often enough, although the majority would rank him in their Top 20 :p

I love Karl Pilkington :lol::lol::lol::lol:

Stric

I've never understood that, honestly.

Neither do I, but I can imagine it having to do with taking the argument of him being backed up by such a great team too far. That plus his brain farts. Because when he screws up, he makes sure it gets talked about everywhere. The incident with DiMaria comes to mind. Combine stuff like that with the argument that he plays behind a great team, and obviously nobody will ever talk about some great save he's made.

loozy

Yup, that's what I always get to hear.

Then again, I think the same about Neuer (one of my posts on the previous page) and he is rated way higher than Valdes ever was/will be.

Cule4life

The Culest
Neither do I, but I can imagine it having to do with taking the argument of him being backed up by such a great team too far. That plus his brain farts. Because when he screws up, he makes sure it gets talked about everywhere. The incident with DiMaria comes to mind. Combine stuff like that with the argument that he plays behind a great team, and obviously nobody will ever talk about some great save he's made.

Also many fans dont realize the importance a sweeper keeper brings. They think it's some fancy mumbo jumbo. They think it's simple passing and anybody can do it. They only see the flashy things like gravity defying saves of Neuer.

loozy

Also many fans dont realize the importance a sweeper keeper brings. They think it's some fancy mumbo jumbo. They think it's simple passing and anybody can do it. They only see the flashy things like gravity defying saves of Neuer.

Which are few and far between anyways :D

Valdes will be only appreciated once he is gone and the new goalie has not yet reached his level.

khaled_a_d

Well, the way I see it, the club now has enough time to find a goalie and train him to play Barca- style by the time 2014 rolls around. From what I've been reading it seems as though Barca does not want to let go of Valdes until 2014 and I honestly don't think it's such a bad idea. There is a goalie who knows how to play Barca-style (Pinto does not cut it imo to play LaLiga all the time) while the newbie can play the Copa-matches.

Btw, this argument that Valdes benefitted from a good defense: the same can be said about Manuel Neuer, btw, who plays behind a defense of rock solid players but who starts showing his flaws whenever he is challenged on a regular basis throughout a match (have a look at the 4-4 against Sweden or Munich's loss against Gladbach and Leverkusen last season when he was all over the pitch; also: nearly made a vital mistake against Stuttgart today when he could have had the defense deal with it) and yet he is held in higher regard than Valdes (disregarding the age issue - both of them are the number 1 keepers at contenders for the CL that is why I am comparing them). Of course Valdes benefitted from the defense, every keeper does. Valdes has shown what he can do time and again.

The way it was announced was not that well chosen, but I am not blaming him but rather enjoying the rest of the time we have with him :)

1-Why didn't he just told Zubi? even Barca management and the players asked him not to got to tell the media and he still did!!!
2-Since when Bayern has good defense?if anything their worst line is their defense and that isn't even close ,Lahm wan never known being gr8 defender ,Badstuber is awful overrated defender and the rest is average at best,and even if you claim otherwise , Neuer proved himself with Schalke,please don't tell me they had grr8 defense too?

You'd think from reading posters in this thread that VV is one of the worst keepers of the world.

on the other hand ,reading some other posters in this thread you would think that VV has collected the greatness of Buffon Schmeichel,Yashin&Zidane to produce such amazing GK with gr8 passing ability ,the whole overrating and underrating in this thread is unbelievable

Last edited:

Home of Barca Fans